Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1125 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

On 19/12/2019 at 23:47, Pistonbroke said:

6 Underground (Netflix)

Mixed reviews for this one but if you accept it for what it is then it's enjoyable enough. Top heavy on CGI but the action scenes are OK, the humour fits and isn't too obtrusive, the acting is steady enough and some nice easy on the eyes women. It's the same old story but delivered in a new concept. Instead of making a follow up film they should make it into a series where they can spend more time on character development which they could easily catch up on with flashbacks. If you want perfection you want find it in this film, but if you want to watch a film that is a fun ride full of action then you won't be wasting your time.

6.6/10.  

Just finished watching it. If you like action films like John wick, you'll like this. Plenty of headshots, gruesome deaths and Ryan Reynolds is his usual self.

I liked it. If you've 2hours spare it's worth the watch.

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Yeah, like you haven’t had the soundtrack on in the car singing along...

They had the soundtrack before seeing the film, so were able to sing along in the theatre. 

On an unrelated note, there don’t seem to be many good places to hang yourself in a theatre. 

John Carpenter’s Vampires. 8/10. A guilty pleasure. Looking back on it you realise it’s quite misogynistic to Sheryl Lee’s character. The positive elements come from Carpenter’s decision to make it a violent western where the guns for hire are vampire hunters and the bandits vampires, rather than a straight horror film. James Woods is great value, while Ian Thomas Griffiths makes for a decent pantomime villain, and Maximilian Schell gets to twirl his moustache much more than he did in The Black Hole. Not a classic, but good popcorn entertainment.

17 hours ago, Elite said:

Knives Out - 7/10

Good fun and Daniel Craig was very good as the deep south P.I, a role which I'd have never envisioned him playing.

Agreed, a really fun, funny and enjoyable whodunit.

Kind of begs the question though, what the fuck happened to Rian Johnson that he absolutely dropped the ball with TLJ when he can direct films like this and Looper. Madness.

As its Christmas we watched National Lampoons Christmas vacation, still found it funny got some great lines and characters in it even with the usual American schmaltzy ending it gets a 8/10 

• Upvote 2

Zombieland: Double Tap. 7.5/10. Much the same as the first, but I think they’ve taken it as far as they can now.

On 23/12/2019 at 00:14, niallers said:

Ad astra! Absolute fucking garbage. Worse than Solaris. Slow,went nowhere and didn't make any sense.

Avoid

I didn’t think it was that bad but I was disappointed by it.

17 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Public Enemies (Netflix)

Gangster/Crime biography of John Dillinger, Baby face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd and the Feds bringing them down. Not Michael Mann's best work but a very solid film and worth a watch. Packed with big names and some decent performances. 7/10. 

I think this film is massively underrated. It’s a good story, great cast & performances and I love the score almost as much as I love Marion Cotillard. 

I think it’s really, really good. 

Guardians Of The Tomb (aka 7 Guardians, aka Nest 3D). 0/10.

So you have Christmas Eve off, and you have the misfortune to click on the Horror channel just as this starts. And you slowly get drawn in and become fascinated to see just how bad this will get, especially as the Chinese and Australian film commissions have thrown shitloads of money at it. The answer is worse than you ever thought. To shorten it - rescue team enter an ancient Chinese emperor’s tomb to rescue missing archaeologists and encounter an army of genetically-manipulated-by-breeding man-eating funnel web spiders. I could go on at length dissecting this, but will simply tell you that the protagonists are able to casually evade the advancing CGI horde by simply slowly walking ahead of them, and as they exit each room a small dog-sized General spider turns up to wave it’s mandibles in frustration and direct it’s smaller cohorts to better efforts. And the said CGI waving of mandibles is the best acting on show - almost Oscar worthy compared to the actors efforts. Swerve.

On 23/12/2019 at 12:52, Stouffer said:

It must be really shit then because Solaris is one of the worst films ever (re)made.

I assume you are talking about the Solaris remake and not the Russian original,which was a superb film?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I assume you are talking about the Solaris remake and not the Russian original,which was a superb film?

Aye, never seen the original but the remake sucks camel dick.

17 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Aye, never seen the original but the remake sucks camel dick.

Ad Astra is a lot better than Solaris. I've watched it twice and enjoyed it both times. No doubt there is not a lot going on but what there is, is very well done and also very restrained where many films tend to try and make things larger for dramatic effect. 

18 hours ago, Anubis said:

John Carpenter’s Vampires. 8/10. A guilty pleasure. Looking back on it you realise it’s quite misogynistic to Sheryl Lee’s character. The positive elements come from Carpenter’s decision to make it a violent western where the guns for hire are vampire hunters and the bandits vampires, rather than a straight horror film. James Woods is great value, while Ian Thomas Griffiths makes for a decent pantomime villain, and Maximilian Schell gets to twirl his moustache much more than he did in The Black Hole. Not a classic, but good popcorn entertainment.

Vampires is a great film. One of my favourite vampire films. I love the scene on the motel at the beginning. 

The book it’s based on is very good as well if you haven’t read it, quite different from the film but still a good read. It’s quite expensive for some reason in paperback so I picked up a second hand one a while back. 

Vampires https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0451462262/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AYNaEb6FK2182

Marriage Story 8/10.

My boy Noah Baumbach finally on the verge of making it big with some Golden Globe and hopefully other nominations. A less schmaltzy Kramer vs. Kramer type drama. There's supposed to be some big conversation on the net about this film, but I have not been looking in to it nor do I intend to, I can sort of guess what it's about.

Anyway, one of the best films of 2019. Which wasn't such a great year. But this one is good. Made for Netflix.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Scrooge - A Christmas Carol.

The one with Alistair Sims. 10/10

Was watching that earlier as well.

What an actor.

Funny Cow: 7/10.

The Irishman. 2nd time because my old dear wanted to see it and I didn’t have the heart to tell her I already had.

So much better this time, which surprised me. Revised my opinion from 6-7/10 up to 8-9/10, though nostalgia may be playing some part in the highest end of that.

Basically I think on second watch it benefitted from its obvious predecessors, whereas on first watch it suffered due to them.

6 underground.

fuck me this is dreadful. How do they still get away with making shit like this. 

turned it off after 10 minutes. 

Ryan Reynolds really fluked it with that deadpool and is milking the shit out of that characters humour now. 

0/10. Avoid