You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas Leiva

Guest Kenny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas played well, but lets not get carried away after one or two starts. I present to you a Mr Salif V. Diao.

Diao didn't show any prospect at all though mate. Totally different situation.

Lucas is infinitely more talented than Salif ever will be - you don't need to be a genius scout to see that.

Thing is with momo, he is sound when he sticks to what he's good at. Breaking up the play. He made some superb tackles today, them fuckin telescopic legs just come from no where and take the ball. I think he panics when he gets on the ball, but his job is not to be the creative one out the pair. Thats what the others are in there for. Personally thought momo had a good game today, few wayward passes but thats momo. He just needs to get a bit of confidence back because its clearly lacking. He shits himself when he has possesion.

The thing is though, if you can retain the ball well as a team then you dont need a Momo. If you dont let the other team have much of the ball, then the other team cant do any damage, this is very much Arsenals way of playing and the way we played in the 80's.

Diao didn't show any prospect at all though mate. Totally different situation.

Lucas is infinitely more talented than Salif ever will be - you don't need to be a genius scout to see that.

Balls to that, Diao was being praised to high heaven when he forced Gerrard out of the team, created a winner against Chelsea and scored the winner against Leeds too. The new Vieira he was praised as by a lot of people.

Balls to that, Diao was being praised to high heaven when he forced Gerrard out of the team, created a winner against Chelsea and scored the winner against Leeds too. The new Vieira he was praised as by a lot of people.

Well I don't personally know anyone who thought that about him.

I thought he looked okay to start with, but that was a general 'new signing give him a chance' mantra. He didn't look anywhere near as good as Lucas does.

I know one fella who thought he could 'do a job' but that's about it ;-)

The thing is though, if you can retain the ball well as a team then you dont need a Momo. If you dont let the other team have much of the ball, then the other team cant do any damage, this is very much Arsenals way of playing and the way we played in the 80's.

I agree mate, im not necessarily saying we do need him. I just think certain aspects of his game he does exceptionally well. We all thought in his first season he was going to progress in the vieira mould. That hasnt happened. Since that kick in they eye at Benfica, he doesnt seem to have been the same player. His distribution was never amazing, but it was never as bad as it is now. I think its a confidence issue with the lad, i really do.

Well I don't personally know anyone who thought that about him.

I thought he looked okay to start with, but that was a general 'new signing give him a chance' mantra. He didn't look anywhere near as good as Lucas does.

I know one fella who thought he could 'do a job' but that's about it ;-)

Even when he kept Gerrard out of the team, and was playing unbeveliably well? I distinctly recall people praising him to high heaven. He looked better than Lucas at the time, and people WERE comparing him to Vieira, just go back to 2002/2003 on some forums.

http://forum.liverpoolway.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9651&highlight=diao

There aren't many records from then on TLW, but looking around RAWK there are plenty of sentiments echoed. This was after his first few games, then he went shite. Its always important to wait a while with players, especially youngsters like Lucas.

Even when he kept Gerrard out of the team, and was playing unbeveliably well? I distinctly recall people praising him to high heaven. He looked better than Lucas at the time, and people WERE comparing him to Vieira, just go back to 2002/2003 on some forums.

http://forum.liverpoolway.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9651&highlight=diao

There aren't many records from then on TLW, but looking around RAWK there are plenty of sentiments echoed. This was after his first few games, then he went shite. Its always important to wait a while with players, especially youngsters like Lucas.

I hear what you're saying but I think it's inevitable that people will have decent comments about new players - it's just the natural way of things. We like to give players a chance so we see their best points to start with.

Obviously your point is exactly that regarding Lucas - at the moment people are looking at him with red specs because he's new etc. I just think that its obvious that he's got more potential than Diao but I do take your point mate.

He was excellent I thought, understated but was always in the right position to receive & always found his man with a pass.

Comparisons to judging him as Diao after 1-2 games are just stupid.

I would say this lad has got it from what I've seen, and at 20 is a great lomg term asset (as Babbel, who is coming on by the week-has he been in the gym, he's bulking up by the week?).

Momo-like others every time he won the ball I was praying he'd pass it within 3 yards as there was a 50% chance it would go to a red shirt. 3 yards+ and the chance drops to 10%-woeful!

He looks a proper Liverpool player alright. Slight word of caution as to who might be the one to leave: while we all expect it will be Momo (since he's the worst of the central midfielders we have) it might be possible it will be Alonso. The rumours about Atletico seem reasonable, and if not them, then you'd have to think there will be a number of clubs interested should Xabi become available. Perhaps the four midfielders will end up being Stevie & Mascher, with Momo and Leiva the clear understudies.

Don't get me wrong though, I really want Xabi to stay, since he oozes such class.

As for Momo, he lurches from being Vieira to Traore (with apologies to Djimi, since there was more to his game than the nationals were able to see). By rights he should be the one to be sold if we can't accommodate 5 central midfielders, but it is a funny old game. My outside bet is Xabi might be the one to move (assuming Mascher deal completed and Leiva continues to settle well).

He looks a proper Liverpool player alright. Slight word of caution as to who might be the one to leave: while we all expect it will be Momo (since he's the worst of the central midfielders we have) it might be possible it will be Alonso. The rumours about Atletico seem reasonable, and if not them, then you'd have to think there will be a number of clubs interested should Xabi become available. Perhaps the four midfielders will end up being Stevie & Mascher, with Momo and Leiva the clear understudies.

Don't get me wrong though, I really want Xabi to stay, since he oozes such class.

As for Momo, he lurches from being Vieira to Traore (with apologies to Djimi, since there was more to his game than the nationals were able to see). By rights he should be the one to be sold if we can't accommodate 5 central midfielders, but it is a funny old game. My outside bet is Xabi might be the one to move (assuming Mascher deal completed and Leiva continues to settle well).

I think you will be right but it will be the summer for a move like that and i think it will involve Aguerio (spelling) straight swap it will be a defo if Rafa goes but i think both will go