You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yossi Fucking Benayoun: Fuck Off

RSM

Benayoun had a good first season, but last season he was cack whenever I saw him play. I do think he's an improvement on Garcia is a winger though. The only problem is that it would be kind of pointless having them both in the squad.

I agree with the bold bit 100% and believe me I know - having signed him on the basis of 2005-2006's performances, he was one of the chief architects of my fantasy football team's piss-poor early season form. I'll tell you how bad he was - I transferred him and brought in Milner. Now if that's not a damning indictment of a player, I don't know what is. As for the rest, as an out and out winger, he probably is better than Luis but I still don't want us to get rid of Luis unless it's absolutely necessary.

Like I said yesterday though, if I try to stop looking at Luis as a player (and after the the images of mournful puppies and Dickensian Christmas cheer stop flashing before my eyes) and instead visualise him as Benayoun and about £6m, I can see why he may end up down the road.

It is hard to accept though - I mean, I genuinely loathe both puppies and Christmas and yet still have a soft spot for Luis. When he's on his game, he's a player to melt the hardest of hearts.

I will say this only once:

BENAYOUN IS NOT A WINGER, he is not a replacement for Bolo or Gonzales. He will be bought to play as an attacking creative CM, which – as you all know – we do not have many of today.

It is a position that needs strengthening, Benayoun is a very good player in that position, so I really can`t see your problem with this.

Benayoun, like most footballers, plays where he is told to play and that frequently seems to be on the right wing. That's unless he's told to play CM and just decides he wants to drift out there during the match. If so, we've got next season sussed - we tell Gerrard to play RW, Benayoun to play CM and they'll swap themselves over at kick-off.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to be cryptic, and I'm not saying our big signing will be Benayoun. It's just the way people assume we'll be getting big signings when at the moment there is nothing to back it up.

The argument I keep hearing is 'well Carra, Gerrard, Alonso and Reina wouldn't have signed unless they knew we were getting some big signings'. It doesn't work like that. The players are as worried as we are at the moment. Rafa may tell them who he wants, but it doesn't mean he'll get them.

Alonso and Reina signed because they are settled here and they got big fucking pay rises. Carra would sign anyway, and Gerrard is a lot more settled these days (and apparently got a big rise too). They didn't sign because we're signing Samuel fucking Eto'o and Carlos Tevez.

It may very well all turn out fine in the end, but don't think that the players aren't worrying about the lack of activity and the perceived lack of funds from the owners, because they are.

I'm not trying to be cryptic, and I'm not saying our big signing will be Benayoun. It's just the way people assume we'll be getting big signings when at the moment there is nothing to back it up.

The argument I keep hearing is 'well Carra, Gerrard, Alonso and Reina wouldn't have signed unless they knew we were getting some big signings'. It doesn't work like that. The players are as worried as we are at the moment. Rafa may tell them who he wants, but it doesn't mean he'll get them.

Alonso and Reina signed because they are settled here and they got big fucking pay rises. Carra would sign anyway, and Gerrard is a lot more settled these days (and apparently got a big rise too). They didn't sign because we're signing Samuel fucking Eto'o and Carlos Tevez.

It may very well all turn out fine in the end, but don't think that the players aren't worrying about the lack of activity and the perceived lack of funds from the owners, because they are.

Spoilsport :angry:

Benayoun asks to leave as Liverpool confirm £3m offer

Dominic Fifield and Daniel Taylor

Saturday June 16, 2007

The Guardian

The Israel midfielder Yossi Benayoun has indicated to West Ham United that he wishes to leave the club, having been unsettled by confirmation that Liverpool have made a bid of around £3m for him.

Rafael Benítez hopes to add Benayoun, whom he has tracked since his days at Racing Santander, to his ranks as he seeks further midfield options with Liverpool's chief executive, Rick Parry, confirming that a formal approach was made to West Ham last week. That offer was immediately rejected as the Londoners value the 27-year-old at nearer £5m.

Benítez remains optimistic of reaching a compromise to land the Israeli but the Merseysiders' long-standing interest in Darren Bent will only result in a transfer if Charlton Athletic radically reduce their valuation of the England forward. The Championship club had agreed to sell Bent to West Ham for £17m, only for the striker to reject the move following talks over personal terms at Upton Park.

Charlton have insisted that the valuation has effectively been set by West Ham's offer but Liverpool - who are competing with Tottenham Hotspur for his signature - would only be willing, and able, to offer around £10m for the 23-year-old. Furthermore, Benítez has other priorities to pursue in the market, with any deal potentially reliant on the sale of his Wales striker Craig Bellamy.

Depressing stuff.

While the Scum are spunking £35m on youngsters to supplement their title winning team and we're trying to buy "first team" players for £3m.

Bascombe's article about every summer being like deja vu are looking more and more accurate as the days pass.

Guest davelfc

Depressing stuff.

While the Scum are spunking £35m on youngsters to supplement their title winning team and we're trying to buy "first team" players for £3m.

Bascombe's article about every summer being like deja vu are looking more and more accurate as the days pass.

So securing the services of a decent squad player for £3m is depressing stuff? No, paying over the odds for a decent squad player is depressing stuff. :wallbutt:

Not all of our signings this summer are going to be for megabucks, we have some players to replace (some who might yet be leaving) and I think that if we get him for £3m it's a good bit of business from Rafa.

Guest davelfc
I agree it's a good bit of business but I still don't see how he fits into the squad.

Luckily we have just the man for that.

benitez5.jpg

So securing the services of a decent squad player for £3m is depressing stuff? No, paying over the odds for a decent squad player is depressing stuff. :wallbutt:

Not all of our signings this summer are going to be for megabucks, we have some players to replace (some who might yet be leaving) and I think that if we get him for £3m it's a good bit of business from Rafa.

Maybe we should offerthem £30m for him Yossi then we would have the big money signing people are crying out for.

Cheers for you input Dave

We have enough decent squad players already. I'd rather give Hammill a chance this season if we're lacking cover, but we're not.

It's depressing stuff because we are so far behind the Mancs and Chelsea, yet with all the promises we were made about the American investment this summer and finally being able to compete with the top two clubs we're still having to go for players who are not going to take the club two, three steps forward like we need. It's just the same old, same old.

Most people on here were expecting players of the calibre of Eto'o, Tevez, Alvez, yet once again we're having to readjust our expectations and settle for players like Bent and Benayoun. It's depressing stuff.

Looks like this deal is definitely happening...

The Israel midfielder Yossi Benayoun has indicated to West Ham United that he wishes to leave the club, having been unsettled by confirmation that Liverpool have made a bid of around £3m for him.

Rafael Benítez hopes to add Benayoun, whom he has tracked since his days at Racing Santander, to his ranks as he seeks further midfield options with Liverpool's chief executive, Rick Parry, confirming that a formal approach was made to West Ham last week. That offer was immediately rejected as the Londoners value the 27-year-old at nearer £5m.

Benítez remains optimistic of reaching a compromise to land the Israeli but the Merseysiders' long-standing interest in Darren Bent will only result in a transfer if Charlton Athletic radically reduce their valuation of the England forward. The Championship club had agreed to sell Bent to West Ham for £17m, only for the striker to reject the move following talks over personal terms at Upton Park.

Charlton have insisted that the valuation has effectively been set by West Ham's offer but Liverpool - who are competing with Tottenham Hotspur for his signature - would only be willing, and able, to offer around £10m for the 23-year-old. Furthermore, Benítez has other priorities to pursue in the market, with any deal potentially reliant on the sale of his Wales striker Craig Bellamy.

Yossi was f'ing class in his first season but he was wank last season. :|

if that is how we should judge players then West Ham showed us that Macha is shite and Tevez couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo up to March lets say we have a bit more to go on than the form of West Ham last season

Expensive signing does not equal to good signing, cheap signing does not equal to bad signing.

If Benayoun turned out to be 'The Signing' that everyone was made to believe will happened, then I will be very dissapointed. But if this is only the start of things to come, I'm happy to have him in the team as I believe he is a fine player. We still yet to know the real situation with our transfer budget and with reports (including Dave's) saying Rafa will not get the backing he was promised to get, I am worried. However, looking at our summer activities so far it is really not bad at all. I blamed unrealistic expectation for all the panic right now.

Whether as a squad or a key player, I don't give a damn because it is Rafa's signing and that is for me the most important thing. I believe Rafa wanted him (rather than being forced to because of budget) and that is good enough for me. Finger crossed...

Expensive signing does not equal to good signing, cheap signing does not equal to bad signing.

If Benayoun turned out to be 'The Signing' that everyone was made to believe will happened, then I will be very dissapointed. But if this is only the start of things to come, I'm happy to have him in the team as I believe he is a fine player. We still yet to know the real situation with our transfer budget and with reports (including Dave's) saying Rafa will not get the backing he was promised to get, I am worried. However, looking at our summer activities so far it is really not bad at all. I blamed unrealistic expectation for all the panic right now.

Whether as a squad or a key player, I don't give a damn because it is Rafa's signing and that is for me the most important thing. I believe Rafa wanted him (rather than being forced to because of budget) and that is good enough for me. Finger crossed...

I agree although I do begrudingly because I dont think he's good enough deep down.

My only problem is dont bandy about big names if we are going to be shopping in the 'sale' section yet again.