You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Novak is going to break the record for number of slams. Don't see any up and coming player that can challenge him and the likes of Murray, Federer and Nadal can't get near him anymore. Novak is going to continue to win at least 2 slams a year for the next 3 or 4 years, and the fucker never gets injured either so he'll be unstoppable.

I think so as well . Nadal is too broken now and Fed is too old . Not a lot of strength in the division besides at the moment unless Murray can improve

Phenomenal achievement. He's the reigning champion in all 4 grand slams right now.

The BBC are saying that the only other mens players to hold all 4 titles at the same time are Don Budge (in 1938) and Rod Laver (in 1962 as an amateur, and 1969 as a pro). When you consider how many outstanding champions there have been since 1969 and yet not one of them has managed that feat, it really is something spectacular for Djokovic. He only really needs the Olympic gold now and he'll have won every prestige title going.

Guest Pistonbroke

The BBC are saying that the only other mens players to hold all 4 titles at the same time are Don Budge (in 1938) and Rod Laver (in 1962 as an amateur, and 1969 as a pro). When you consider how many outstanding champions there have been since 1969 and yet not one of them has managed that feat, it really is something spectacular for Djokovic. He only really needs the Olympic gold now and he'll have won every prestige title going.

Hold your horses mate, he hasn't beaten me at Laser Tennis yet. 

Seriously, it is some achievement and Murray is just unlucky that once Federer and Nadal went off the boil this lad turns up. I'm not a fan of Djokovic myself but his talent and will to win is extraordinary. I know many pick him up purely on his personality but Murray is no different. 

Not the best final I've ever witnessed but the better player won by a mile. At this moment in time he just has Murray's number the majority of the time. 

The Olympic gold doesn't come close to a grand slam IMO.

It's not 5 sets, but they all still want to win it.  Only every 4 years, arguably even more important as you have so few chances to win it.

It's a brilliant achievement by Murray to keep reaching these finals unfortunately he's up against an opponent who is totally unstoppable and at the moment unbeatable over 5 sets.

The thing with Djokovic is you take a set off him and he actually gets stronger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Brits doing OK in the US Open.

Edmund seems to be a real find, and with Dan Evans and Murray still in it, we are doing far better than I can remember at this stage.

Ladies-wise, I am a real fan of Johanna Konta but not sure what to make of her win tonight, if I'm being honest. If those histrionics had happened the other way around I would be very suspicious ( She collapsed , rolling around the court as she lost the 2nd set and was described as looking at deaths door on the BBC website ). After a fairly long delay ( 10 minutes or so ) she said she was OK to play and thrashed Pironkova 6-2 in the final set. Along with Broady that leaves us with 5 players still in the singles.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Djokovic is into the 4th round having only played 1 and a bit matches. His 2nd round match against Vesely was a walkover after Vesely pulled out injured before the match, and in the 3rd round Youzhny retired in the first set because of injury.

Might help him, might hinder him.

Made the mistake of listening to the tipster in the Mirror ( Jimmy McGovern's brother ) who insisted that Isner 3-0 is the bet of the week. As soon as I put my hard-earned on it you could see what would happen a mile away. Edmund limps to a first set win & then reverts to getting battered.

3-1 Isner coming up.