You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's football

Newport

5 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Sure.

But what will stop VAR from ringing him/her up and saying they thought it was/wasn't deliberate?

For it to work, wouldn't it mean VAR no longer having a jurisdiction on pens?

Like a lot if people I think var should be binned and as been very bad for the game. The deliberate part should be solely referees discretion. As she or he are on the pitch and can judge better and understand the atmosphere of the game better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I'd be pissed off if I were Russo, getting subbed for James who did fuck all that second half. She actually looked unfit.

Russo had a 5 to 10 yard headstart on the goalscorer for the Spanish goal and couldn't be arsed sprinting with her. She wouldn't have much right to complain.

Got no opinion on these games as not followed them at all - but what i do know is this country is unbearable with its entitlement and arrogance when it comes to national teams and it has even sadly been on display and getting worse with this womens stuff.

So for that reason I am made up Ingerlund have failed again - all this "it's coming home" shite.....fucking hate it - and as for the state of people when the mens stuff is on - just horrible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

One big difference between the standard in the Premier League and that in the women's game is the first touch.  It's just normal in the Prem for anyone to be able to receive a thirty or forty yard pass and control it without breaking stride.  We take it for granted that everyone can do it and we don't even notice it.  But it's clearly missing at the highest level of the women's game.

Here's hoping the higher profile of the game will lead to better grass roots and youth coaching of girls, so the standards of future tournaments will improve.

36 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

This.

Spain - Technically superior, tactically superior, more streetwise.

England - Plucky, honest, brave.

"streetwise" - they were timewasting and falling all over the place. The ref was happy to allow it so why not, but let's not relabel it when we're spending the rest of the year complaining that teams are allowed to do it against us. 

Also think that's pretty patronising about the England side, they're pretty damn good (as you'd expect from the Euro champs) and this was without their best player (Mead) and captain. They started the WC struggling for goals and so it wasn't a shock to see them struggle against a side savvy enough to keep the game in the England half. It just took the game beyond their reach.

Spain did well, frustrating last half hour with the ref making some confusing decisions (or refusing to when it came to the girl on a yellow kicking the ball away), really good goal to win it. 

One thing I don't get is how many crosses they put in high, the margin of error for a cross not being reachable is much higher and most of these balls should be low or along the ground, just maximise the amount of time your players can attack the ball...

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

I hate players blindly back heeling the football. It's possibly near the top of list of hates, absolutely brain-dead decision making.

Indeed. Not everyone can do what Bobby can do. We were spoilt by some of his glorious skills.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

Fly 10000 miles or watch it in bed I think William was right 

Doubt he even watched it in bed. Was probably getting sucked off by Kate instead, and can't says I blame him.

I have to say, the ladies game is coming on leaps and bound. The quality in the last world cup based on the few matches I watched was terrible. I watched the final today and it was so much better.