You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stuff that has been ruined by bastards

RedinSweden

They should have given pubs the option of being smoking or non smoking. Up to the punter then to pick their alehouse.

The smoking ban ruined real pubs in this country , fucking pretentious whiney cunts too precious to be in the vicinity of a smoke. Here catch this crocodile cunt

Absolute bollocks.

Pubs already had the "choice" to deter some of their customers, in the hope of attracting new ones.  The realities of the commercial/capitalist system prevented them from choosing that, just like the staff behind the bar didn't have a choice about working in a safe environment.

Smelly cunts ruined the pub for me prior to 2007.  Thank fuck someone made it a decent place to go.

The bottom line is that everywhere a proper smoking ban has been introduced, cancer rates have declined significantly.  If you feel nostalgic for a toxic stench or you're inconvenienced by improved atmospheres in pubs, well boo fucking hoo!

• Upvote 2

People won't be working in them if they continue being shut down.

I really don't see the problem with some having smoking licenses and others not. Surely if smoking was a big issue for you you'd just apply for jobs at the non smoking pubs?

They want the law to allow people to have an equal opportunity for bar work without the need to have a long-term plan that includes chemo.

It's sensible.

You might as well have pubs with asbestos in them and then moan that people can apply to work in a non-asbestos pub.

• Upvote 1

People won't be working in them if they continue being shut down.

I really don't see the problem with some having smoking licenses and others not. Surely if smoking was a big issue for you you'd just apply for jobs at the non smoking pubs?

It's an odd thing to be nostalgic about. I fucking love it that smoking has been banned, as when I come back from a night out, my clothes don't stink. I am also certain that on busy nights my hangovers used to be worse when surrounded by people smoking.

• Upvote 1

They want the law to allow people to have an equal opportunity for bar work without the need to have a long-term plan that includes chemo.

It's sensible.

You might as well have pubs with asbestos in them and then moan that people can apply to work in a non-asbestos pub.

Yeah, pretty much identical comparison there. Fuck sake.

Anyway, the amount of bar work is dwindling as people are staying at home. But fuck 'em, I guess.

I'm not moaning, to be honest. I'm a very light smoker, and have no problem going outside. Indeed favouring to be outside the back of the pub so that people, and especially children, don't have to walk through smoke. What I object to is my local town losing a pub every few months. The Wetherspoons is fine though.

Which is great.

It's an odd thing to be nostalgic about. I fucking love it that smoking has been banned, as when I come back from a night out, my clothes don't stink. I am also certain that on busy nights my hangovers used to be worse when surrounded by people smoking.

I'm not nostalgic about it.

I'm not nostalgic about it.

I don't think pubs are closing because people can't smoke. I think local pubs are struggling against the large companies that own loads of pubs, places like wetherspoons who undercut everyone by loads. 

Yeah, pretty much identical comparison there. Fuck sake.

Anyway, the amount of bar work is dwindling as people are staying at home. But fuck 'em, I guess.

I'm not moaning, to be honest. I'm a very light smoker, and have no problem going outside. Indeed favouring to be outside the back of the pub so that people, and especially children, don't have to walk through smoke. What I object to is my local town losing a pub every few months. The Wetherspoons is fine though.

Which is great.

Sorry mate, people not going to the pub because they can't smoke, and so some close down, isn't a good enough reason to not have a law allowing people equal opportunities when searching for employment.  I'd also question just how much it's actually stopping people going out, as opposed to loss-leader supermarket prices on ale and the economy being on its arse.

Drink driving laws weren't great for local pubs either, the public gain is a net one though, so you crack on.

Ok, well I completely disagree.

We had a pub in Shrewsbury that was non-smoking before the ban and it was a nice place to go, but if you leave it up to the landlords, there will be very few who choose to do it. That would mean that in a place with hundreds of pubs like Shrewsbury, people not wanting to work in a smoky environment would have one pub to apply for work, and then what? Otherwise you would have to have a set number, but why should one pub have a competitive advantage over another?

With which bit?

Your objection to two licences, your irrelevant comparison with drink driving, I accept, obviously, that the ban on smoking is only one reason that pubs are shutting down, along with the others you've mentioned.

I just think people are wrong if they feel the ban has now sorted the problem.

This is what used to happen in my local pub, people that wanted to smoke would be in a closed room. Everyone knew this, so if they didn't want to be around smoke they'd sit at the other end. It has never been a pub that served food. It has never been a pub that is going to have children in it. It wasn't then, and it isn't now. Now, it's just empty. But the smokers to non smokers balance is largely the same, just with lower numbers. Now most people huddle outside the front, and you do have to walk through a smoke cloud to get in the pub. Personally, as I said, I stand outside the back. Its generally nicer there than standing pretty much in the street, and I don't want non smokers to have to breath in my smoke. But most people, they don't. This scenario, and type of pub, accounts for every single pub in my town (was 15, now 8, maybe 9) apart from Wetherspoons. Now Wetherspoons has the money to have an enormous garden outside so people can, not that they always do, smoke 100m away from the actual building.

It just isn't something that can be solved with simple blanket legislation.

Some of my best friends are non smokers...but seriously, many of them agree. I can assure you this isn't a "I want to be able to smoke indoors" stance.

Anyway, its one of those topics I regret posting in. I don't anticipate any middle ground.

We had a pub in Shrewsbury that was non-smoking before the ban and it was a nice place to go, but if you leave it up to the landlords, there will be very few who choose to do it. That would mean that in a place with hundreds of pubs like Shrewsbury, people not wanting to work in a smoky environment would have one pub to apply for work, and then what? Otherwise you would have to have a set number, but why should one pub have a competitive advantage over another?

What are you basing this on? Surely if the general perception is that the smoking ban is a good thing it makes sense for Landlords to have non smoking pubs?

People who smoke are usually cooler, more interesting and fun so people want to be around them. Therefore it's pointless opening a non-smoking pub because all the hot gash will gravitate to the smokers and all the non-smoking males will gravitate towards the hot gash. Business 101

• Upvote 1

Your objection to two licences, your irrelevant comparison with drink driving, I accept, obviously, that the ban on smoking is only one reason that pubs are shutting down, along with the others you've mentioned.

I just think people are wrong if they feel the ban has now sorted the problem.

This is what used to happen in my local pub, people that wanted to smoke would be in a closed room. Everyone knew this, so if they didn't want to be around smoke they'd sit at the other end. It has never been a pub that served food. It has never been a pub that is going to have children in it. It wasn't then, and it isn't now. Now, it's just empty. But the smokers to non smokers balance is largely the same, just with lower numbers. Now most people huddle outside the front, and you do have to walk through a smoke cloud to get in the pub. Personally, as I said, I stand outside the back. Its generally nicer there than standing pretty much in the street, and I don't want non smokers to have to breath in my smoke. But most people, they don't. This scenario, and type of pub, accounts for every single pub in my town (was 15, now 8, maybe 9) apart from Wetherspoons. Now Wetherspoons has the money to have an enormous garden outside so people can, not that they always do, smoke 100m away from the actual building.

It just isn't something that can be solved with simple blanket legislation.

Some of my best friends are non smokers...but seriously, many of them agree. I can assure you this isn't a "I want to be able to smoke indoors" stance.

Anyway, its one of those topics I regret posting in. I don't anticipate any middle ground.

Do you accept that your local pub is seemingly a rarity then? Given that it sound like almost no pub I went before the smoking ban? I'm willing for others to correct me on that but if they do the probability it would require for me to be sheltered from this type of pub atmosphere would be huge.

The comparison wasn't irrelevant at all. It's public health legislation and I'd venture smoking kills far more people than drunk driving ever did.

I'm not sure there is middle ground in a chat about whether x should be banned or not.

Do you accept that your local pub is seemingly a rarity then? Given that it sound like almost no pub I went before the smoking ban? I'm willing for others to correct me on that but if they do the probability it would require for me to be sheltered from this type of pub atmosphere would be huge.

The comparison wasn't irrelevant at all. It's public health legislation and I'd venture smoking kills far more people than drunk driving ever did.

I'm not sure there is middle ground in a chat about whether x should be banned or not.

Pubs are nearly dead. More and more pubs are becoming restaurants now to try and increase profit margins. With that, the smoking ban go hand in hand.

I'd rather be addicted to nicotine than alcohol. Alcohol actually makes you wonder why the government are even preventing Marijuana from being sold openly. Ever been in a fight with someone who's stoned? No? Me neither!

• Upvote 1

The middle ground is probably to leave the decision to the landlords and subsequently their employees and customers.

People can exercise their right not to work or venture into a pub which allows smoking, they cannot exercise their right not be crashed into head first at 60mph by the local piss head. That is the difference.

• Upvote 1

Which aspect of the pub are you saying makes it a rarity?

Breweries are killing pubs, tied houses and shit management.

There's a pub near me owned by enterprise (they've got hundreds near us) and they prices a decent landlord out by increasing his rent to over £1k a week. On top of that he's obviously only allowed to buy his beer from them. Before he'd left the premises they advertised his pub at £200 a month rent to new starters. When he moaned they said the offer wasn't available to him. A new landlord started, fucked the pub up and left. It's now shut and no prospect of opening again soon.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Remember when Landlords were respected pillars of the community...

The so called "happening" pub in Stevenage (White Lion) kerap if you ask me... bu has had countless landlords...

The last one gave it a go and was ok as it goes............he jacked it to take up a job in....

Cash Convertors!

Says it all really!