You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (Aston): Match thread

Painful. No ambition or urgency from either the manager or players today.

I'm worried that the club as a whole, manager and players, have subconsciously given up on league performances and decided to focus on Europe. Top four looks pretty safe, second place is out of reach, so why put in the effort and risk injury and/or exhaustion. I'm afraid we'll see that sort of performance in other league games before the season is out.

The only bright spot was Pennant, who again looked lively coming off the bench.

I don't think there's anything even subconscious about it, Neil. They have given up on the league. They'll comfortably finish fourth and there's no practical difference between that and third; anything higher than that is long gone.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The league has gone once again this year and like Paul has put there isnt much difference between finishing 3rd or 4th. We will still be playing a qualifier next season which we should win.

Bolton have got Chelsea coming up so you would fancy us to extend our lead over them.

I think most of us can forget about performances like today now the league has gone if it meant winning the Champs Lge.

I don't think there's anything even subconscious about it, Neil. They have given up on the league. They'll comfortably finish fourth and there's no practical difference between that and third; anything higher than that is long gone.

I said subconsciously because I can't believe that a manager of Rafa's experience has actually said to himself and his squad, "fuck it, there's no point trying in the league", or even implied it. Surely he and they must see the importance of fostering a winning mentality if we're going to win the CL, even if they have trouble building up enthusiasm for it.

Good job the next game is against Arsenal, we should see a bit more urgency and passion for that.

It really wasn't. He got better as the match went on as well. Considering it was his first start in however many months I thought he did ok.

Three weeks...

But I agree on the rest. He wasn't that bad and he'll be more useful when he get to know his new team mates.

The League went in November,the problem is i've just spent £130+ going the match with the lad and if thats the sort of shit they want to serve up wants the point.

The club as a whole need to understand that there are supporters out there paying good money to travel to these games,the Manager and players should treat each game like it will be there last.We must win all games no matter who we play whether were 1st 9th or 16th.

I didn't mean giving up on winning the league, that happened a while ago. I meant giving up on trying to win every league game. We did that at the end of last season because second place was still to play for, and we won 9 in a row.

As for the travelling fans, I feel sorry for the people who paid money to go and see that today. It's disrespectful to them to settle for a point against inferior opposition, and Rafa can't expect to keep the fans onside if he keeps sending his team out to play like that.

I said subconsciously because I can't believe that a manager of Rafa's experience has actually said to himself and his squad, "fuck it, there's no point trying in the league", or even implied it. Surely he and they must see the importance of fostering a winning mentality if we're going to win the CL, even if they have trouble building up enthusiasm for it.

Good job the next game is against Arsenal, we should see a bit more urgency and passion for that.

Good posts Neil

I've said on another thread that I went into 'next season mode' as soon as the takeover went through, i.e lets secure champions league footy for next season and spend some serious money on high class players.

One wonder how the players feel about that though, there has to be a few in that side who are worried we'll 'do a chelsea' and instigate wholesale changes next season, and that effectively their time is drawing to a close.

I'm reminded of a quote from a lower league manager years ago who said 'I need the boys to go out and win today so we can gain promotion, and get some money to replace them with better ones'

The very sad fact of all this is that we have made no progress from last season, in fact we have probably taken a step back. We sit 22 points off the top of the table to a team who finished only a point ahead of us last season and we have Rafa talking now about keeping a safe distance from the mighty Bolton!

Everton are only 8 points behind us now aswell :wow:

the current league campaign can't end quickly enough. Lets just get the 4/5 wins needed for CL qualification again next year and be done with it.

Quite possibly the dullest and most error strewn game i've had the displeasure of watching. A game completely lacking any attacking imagination and threat from either side.

Rafa's failing again is treating the opposition with too much respect. Has he still not learnt that half the premeirship sides are inept and when attacked will more often than not crumble and/or make mistakes.

Very very strange that.

I love Sissoko , I really do, but he needs work with his passing.

The Villa fans actually BOOOOO'ed a short corner that they fcuked up.:|

Its the first game where I have been frustrated with Dirk. Mascherano started like shite but thankfully started to show his class.

I watched the game on TV and I admit to becoming ENRAGED when the commentator said something like.."ohhh, Stevie is limping there but it looks like he will be ok. Steve Mcclaren will be pleased."

How fucking pleased I am for that dopey cunt that Gerrard will be available to him and his feckless England side. Lets just hope that if Gerrard does get injured, it isn't before such a vital England game in Israel.

If Gerrard is putting in a performance like that he needs a rest.

I have serious reservations on whether Rafa could buy a high class player or will he just waste more money on poor players ie Kuyt 10m just to name one

Kuyt is not a poor player, nor is he a great one, he is simply an above average striker, but the same could be said about all our strike force!

Disagree,Bellamy is a class act it's just that the team do not play to his strenths.It's always a long ball for him to chase.

When has he ever had a ball played for him to run on to,very rare in my book.

And by the way Kuyt is very poor

I couldn't understand that of all things today. The wind was strong, and it was just shit to see the defenders hoofing the ball up for bellamy to chase.

I think Rafa thinks Bolton are not going to catch us and therefore doesnt want to risk any injuries on the build up to the Champs Lge.

There is a thread about missing Garcia and today once again showed us why he is important to us. He is the only player we have that has any kind of creativity.

Make no mistake about it Aston Villa are a poor side. We should have beaten them by a couple of goals without getting into top gear but we treated the game like a end of season encounter with nothing to play for.

Thought Fowler was unlucky at the end and he showed what its like to have a goalscorer on the pitch, they actually attack the ball instead of hoping the defender misses it.

You are being too kind towards the Manager. He fucked up today big time with his team selection.

Garcia would have made little difference today. He shines in the big games when something special is required.

I agree, Villa were a poor side but where we much better ?

You can't blame the strikers today. That's just stupid. We delivered the first decent ball in the 90th minute which happened to be our first decent chance. We are creating absolutely fuck all for them to put away. When we do create it's about 1-2 decent chances a game. I've said it time and time again but we need to start creating more. Today was a case of not creating anything, not a case of our strikers being shit. Yes, they've missed decent chances but more often than not, our shite performances have been caused by an inability to break teams down and that's a creativity issue.

You can't blame the strikers today. That's just stupid. We delivered the first decent ball in the 90th minute which happened to be our first decent chance. We are creating absolutely fuck all for them to put away. When we do create it's about 1-2 decent chances a game. I've said it time and time again but we need to start creating more. Today was a case of not creating anything, not a case of our strikers being shit. Yes, they've missed decent chances but more often than not, our shite performances have been caused by an inability to break teams down and that's a creativity issue.

No hope of us creating chances with Aurelio on one side, because he is shite, and Gerrard on the other side, because he always drifts into the centre which is understandable. Aswell as that we have Sissoko in the centre who can't pass the ball 10 yards.

Kuyt is what he is, a grafter, a hard working support striker in the Les Ferdinand mould, what we need now is a shearer.

Les Ferdinand was a great goalscorer until he lost his pace, one of the best in the last 20 years. I wouldn't mind having a young version of him now.

Guest Jay W

As frustrating as it gets today, no urgency, couldn't pass a ball, no creativity, no movement, fuck all. Gerrard was awful and his head was clearly already on international duty with his beloved England whilst Carragher was per usual and marshalled Carew perfectly. Pennant looked the only one up for it funny enough when he came on.

Shame really, could have won that today Liverpool, that was the easiest match you've had all season.

Absolute utter dross. See how long Rafa would last at Real Madrid playing such negative shite. Gerrard just wasn`t interested and I`ve been critical of Kuyt in the past but sorry the gloves are off he`s fucking shite. Instead of Rafa asking for assurances from the yanks they should be asking them of him that performances and style of football improve massively next season and any transfer funds are better spent than they were this year.