You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

I suppose I'm one of the "plebs" who'll leach on to it because I haven't got Sky and I'm not in the financial position to splurge however much on a boxset for a programme I've never seen before or have no inclination whether I'll like it or not.

Can't beat a bit of elitism.

I've seen a few people say that and in terms of personal taste, there's absolutely no argument. However, I've never read a critical appraisal that can justify it. The Sopranos was brilliant and original, ground-breaking television, but The Wire completely redefined the accepted boundaries of the medium.

Both brilliant.

But if i was picking very,very picky i felt the Wire is a bit more contrived.

David Simon has a view on US inner-cities which he pushes a little.

Trying to write this without spoilers but although i actually agree with him on the benefits of the "Dutch approach" in Series 3 i felt it was a tad unrealistic.

Similarly he was a Union Rep as a journalist & the union officials in series 2 or the "good" journalists in series 5 are portrayed a lot more sympathetically than the brilliant warts'n'all characterization of say the coppers.

I thought the way that the Sopranos combined middle-management,middle class fears with the fact that his job was actually a criminal butcher was superb.

Also the Wire wrapped things up a tad too much for me... From the ending to the Russian in "Pine Barrens" the Sopranos left a lot more open.

Would be interested to hear your views on where The Wire shaded it as they are both staggeringly excellent pieces of work.

I suppose I'm one of the "plebs" who'll leach on to it because I haven't got Sky and I'm not in the financial position to splurge however much on a boxset for a programme I've never seen before or have no inclination whether I'll like it or not.

Can't beat a bit of elitism.

Hath ye never hearde of ye Mininova?

(I'll still be getting the boxset, like, because the show merits the outlay.)

Is it on every monday night at 11?

Nope, it's on every night this week, Monday to Thurday at 11.20 and Friday at 11.35 - that's from memory so apologies if the times are wrong, definitely on every night though.

Edit - I too am watching this mainly on the strength of some of the comments about it on here so it had better be good.

Also, all the gritty, realistic series mentioned as other people's "best evers" could have a realistic claim to number two in my list but there would be a ten mile gap between them and Twin Peaks in the number one slot.

Nope, it's on every night this week, Monday to Thurday at 11.20 and Friday at 11.35 - that's from memory so apologies if the times are wrong, definitely on every night though.

Edit - I too am watching this mainly on the strength of some of the comments about it on here so it had better be good.

Also, all the gritty, realistic series mentioned as other people's "best evers" could have a realistic claim to number two in my list but there would be a ten mile gap between them and Twin Peaks in the number one slot.

I declare as they say in the Customs trade. That is the truth. Twin Peaks rocked the shit.

Is that just until the end of season 1?

No idea mate, not even sure if it's on all week next week although I assume so - I just checked this week out in my TV guide earlier on.

I declare as they say in the Customs trade. That is the truth. Twin Peaks rocked the shit.

Even for those poor saps that don't appreciate the breadth of Lynch's vision, the bird quota alone was simply incredible. Sherylin Fenn, Sheryl Lee, Lara Flynn-Boyle and Madchen Amick just for starters and that's without babes like Peggy Lipton (Norma Jennings, Shelly Johnson's boss at the diner - how do I remember this shit and forget birthdays?) who was total milfage. Good times.

Edited by RoboRiise

I never watched Twin Peaks purely because girls seemed to like it, which means it must have been shit. In fact I can imagine Loraine Kelly saying she must 'nip home' to set the video to record Twin Peaks. I always assumed it was the Lost of the 90s.

How can Noos not have watched most of the output of Stone & Parker; this does not compute in any way. Get watching South Park and stick with it you retarded Yorkshireman.

Also, for those who might look to ditch The Wire early: there is lesbianism in it midway through the first season.

I hate the idea that something becomes less enjoyable once it becomes popular, surely you want more people to watch something as brilliant as the wire? It's the same pathetic attitude with bands that people cry about them selling out when they become popular. Your just annoyed that other people get to like your trendy little obscure passion, I cannot abide or empathise with this attitude.

I hate the idea that something becomes less enjoyable once it becomes popular, surely you want more people to watch something as brilliant as the wire? It's the same pathetic attitude with bands that people cry about them selling out when they become popular. Your just annoyed that other people get to like your trendy little obscure passion, I cannot abide or empathise with this attitude.

it's more the realisation that you like the same things as fat sandra in accounts

I was only taking the piss to be honest, I've been like a public library with my boxsets these past two years, the more people who are into them the better.