You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What players would you sign ?

Guest SteveH

What 3 players would you sign in Jan / next summer to help improve our squad. Realistic signings only.

(1) Centre back - Jonathon Woodgate

(2) Right Winger - Simao

(3) Centre Forward - Fernando Torres

--------------Reina----------------

--Finnan--Carragher--Woodgate--Riise--

---------Alonso--Sissoko-------------

--Simao------Gerrard---- Gonzalez

--------------Torres----------------

Andrade is a class defender, but seems a bit overpriced.

Joaquin doesn't do it for me or Rafa either apparently.

Simao is more of a team player & he has a better goalscoring record than Joaquin.

Forget Michael Owen, he has got a 1st touch like a rapist.

Guest Gazmo25

With the backing Rafa was given during pre season, the 3 realistic signings are....

Defender - Ken Monkou

Midfielder - Ray Atteveld

Striker - Marco Boogers...

:tease:

Guest houghtonlegend

Simao and Pieniar from Ajax seem to be who he's looking at for on the right.

Maxweel from Ajax is out of contract this summer...he was player of the season in Holland last year,and Rafa's friend Guilleme Balague says he wouldn't be surprised to see one or two players from Ajax signed in Jan.so we may see him in a couple of months..he plays left back or mid.a better player than Djimi.

Don't have an idea about centre back...cant see woodgate packing from Real at the moment,says he wants to repay their loyalty while he has been injured.

Simao and Pieniar from Ajax seem to be who he's looking at for on the right.

Maxweel from Ajax is out of contract this summer...he was player of the season in Holland last year,and Rafa's friend Guilleme Balague says he wouldn't be surprised to see one or two players from Ajax signed in Jan.so we may see him in a couple of months..he plays left back or mid.a better player than Djimi.

Don't have an idea about centre back...cant see woodgate packing from Real at the moment,says he wants to repay their loyalty while he has been injured.

Kuyt might well be one of those players from Holland ;)

£35million is small change. Dont forget Rick Parry is close to unveilling an investment deal with an overseas tycoon

Where did you get that from ? news to me..

If Benfica go out of Europe Simao will be a likely sale from Benfica and he will be cup tied thus reducing his market value. I know he couldn't play for us in Europe but this may play into our hands for the long-term and in the league. I suppose it's down to just how much the player wants to come to Liverpool.

If Benfica go out of Europe Simao will be a likely sale from Benfica and he will be cup tied thus reducing his market value. I know he couldn't play for us in Europe but this may play into our hands for the long-term and in the league. I suppose it's down to just how much the player wants to come to Liverpool.

I think we may throw in a bid for Upson in January. There has been too much talk around it over the last few months for us not to be even a bit interested. Simao seems a cert to join and Rafa seems like he is pretty keen on Kuyt.

Rashid, we haven't got a billionaire chairman.The three players you mentioned would cost about 40 million and I'd guess we barely have twenty to spend. Get real.

Guest FarmersBoy

How on earth are most of the players name-checked on this thread realistic, exactly?

The club have spunked over £50M on players since Rafa arrived. We've recuperated very little in return (£8m from Owen, £3M from Murphy, and 'undisclosed' sums for the likes of Diouf - which means the square root of feck all - so absolute £15M tops).

And then there was the obscene sums required to get shot of Houllier.

There seems to be a body of opinion that we're somehow loaded having won the CL. We got just a shade over £28M in total from it last season, which was extraordinary becuase we won it.

We've had to make another payment on the £14M owed on Cisse and the other half of the £17M we spent on Garcia and Alonso. In round terms that's looking like the thick end of £12M. Add to that the money spent on Reina, Sissoko and Crouch (£18M+, so if we're paying only half up front, then that's £9+M) brings us to about £20M with more owing next season.

I'd estimate that, without borrowing, we've got perhaps £15-16M. I'm guessing to an extent, but it's at least founded on other numbers that are generally agreed to be correct. If anyone knows better then do say. But if that's right, and it has to be very close to the maximum we have, how on earth does anyone think we're going to manage to buy Woodgate, Simao AND someone else? One of them, maybe.

Oh, and since this is supposed to be a 'realistic' thread, spare me the "we SHOULD be able to spend this or that in our position as CL winners". It doesn't change the nature of the situation, does it?