You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Owen

If there’s a thread already, I apologise, but I’ve been through and can’t find one. Done sturridge and he would have been an all timer if he wasn’t such a fanny. Watched the Stevie compilations and rejoiced. Now watching Owen - wow! This is YouTube by the way.

He was so good. So fucking good. And up for the scrap too. His 4th goal is him

tackling the spurs keeper in the face. I’m with Stig - wish we’d brought him home

A player so good after playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle, United and Stoke none of the fans can stand him and he’s not really welcome back anywhere, it just shows the measure of the man.

Another rat just like Torres, the love in from the club including some fans for him along with Torres is absolutely fucking sickening.

LFC Ambassador for 8 years…. Meh.

I see Torres treated like some kind of hero and Owen derided and it angers me beyond comprehension.  Owen is one of our best ever players and has contributed to a few of our best ever memories as Liverpool fans. The sooner that is normalised the better. 

• Upvote 1

I can't stand Owen. And it's not just what he did with his football career. He's just such a fucking massive boring tit as a pundit. He couldn't be more unlikeable.

But simply he washed away any status here as a legend the day he pulled on a manc shirt. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t resent Owen any more. I just think he’s a bit of a tool and don’t feel any warmth for him. Sure, it’s nearly 20 years since he left, but for all that the hurt has faded, he’s just looked like more and more of a wanker with every passing year. 

•Brilliant for seven seasons

•Rubbed a few fans up the wrong way with seeming to prioritise England over us, but that’s all subjective really

•Dragged out his contact negotiations, then left on the cheap

•After a year as Real Madrid’s third choice striker, expected us to pay double what we’d received to bring him back; he’d played hardball with us, but didn’t want to do the same with Real so he ended up at Newcastle instead

•Newcastle didn’t work out

•Made a prat of himself looking for a new club

•Ended up at Old Trafford, said some things that didn’t endear himself to anyone over here

•Career petered out at Stoke

•Now a very, very boring pundit. 

When I read Fowler’s autobiography there were a few things I wasn’t impressed by. Sometimes he says idiotic things in the papers too. But he hasn’t spent 20 years consistently saying and doing things that leave me thinking “What a twat”.

• Upvote 1

On 06/04/2024 at 01:10, Trojan1892 said:

A player so good after playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle, United and Stoke none of the fans can stand him and he’s not really welcome back anywhere, it just shows the measure of the man.

Another rat just like Torres, the love in from the club including some fans for him along with Torres is absolutely fucking sickening.

LFC Ambassador for 8 years…. Meh.

He wasn't a good player because he isn't welcomed by Stoke fans.

Take everyone else away,he was a phenomenal player,a great finisher,along with Gerrard carried the team for about 3 years and gave me one of the best days out ever,on a sunny afternoon in Cardiff in 2001

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Put everything back and he's a twat.

He always felt like England's player more than Liverpool's.

He was brilliant for Liverpool. Top players play international football. Does van Dijk feel like Holland’s player more than Liverpool’s? Does Salah feel like Egypt’s player more than Liverpool’s?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

He was brilliant for Liverpool. Top players play international football. Does van Dijk feel like Holland’s player more than Liverpool’s? Does Salah feel like Egypt’s player more than Liverpool’s?

I'd say Salah's actions don't make him look that way,even if he is. Owen on the other hand.

We just have to separate the player from the person. For example Big Nev seemed a bit of a twat on the pitch but has been shown to be a fantastic human being off it. Peter Reid was a twat on it towards Liverpool but appears pretty sound away from it. I think Owen seems closer to the opposite way round. Still a great player for us but went down the 'Keegan' route and it seldom seems to work out well with fans.

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd say Salah's actions don't make him look that way,even if he is. Owen on the other hand.

We just have to separate the player from the person. For example Big Nev seemed a bit of a twat on the pitch but has been shown to be a fantastic human being off it. Peter Reid was a twat on it towards Liverpool but appears pretty sound away from it. I think Owen seems closer to the opposite way round. Still a great player for us but went down the 'Keegan' route and it seldom seems to work out well with fans.

I don’t really care what Michael Owen is like as a person. I’ve never met him, so I wouldn’t know. I don’t watch his punditry. He scored a lot of goals for Liverpool and that is all that matters to me.

47 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I don’t really care what Michael Owen is like as a person. I’ve never met him, so I wouldn’t know. I don’t watch his punditry. He scored a lot of goals for Liverpool and that is all that matters to me.

Fair enough Tone. I don't either but quite a few seem to be a bit obsessed with pundits and their opinions. I try to avoid everything around football except the match itself.

• Upvote 1