You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

A list of some Dutch managers who have travelled overseas and how they have fared in their first jobs away from the Dutch League.

Frank De Boer won 4x Dutch titles at Ajax sacked by Inter Milan and Crystal Palace very quickly after leaving Ajax. One of the worst back to back managerial reigns on record. 

Peter Bosz got to a Europa League final at Ajax. Appointed to be Dortmunds Bosz man with lots of hype that he could replicate Klopp blah blah but sacked by Dortmund before Christmas. Did a solid job at Bayer then sacked by Lyon after 10 games. 

Giovanni van Bronckhorst well travelled player won the league with Feyenoord and Kuyt -- replaced Gerrard at Rangers he was a former player lost the league to Celtic, sacked currently not managing. 

Philip Cocu won 2x Dutch titles left for Fenerbahçe and was sacked in October just above the relegation places. Went to Derby and was sacked when they were in last place in the championship following a 10th place finish. 

Steve De Mclaren presently Ten Hags consigliere. 

Ten Hag, Bald blagger long may his reign of terror continue. 

My shallow take is it's much less risk to get a manager who has managed in Italy, Spain or Germany or England than getting a manager direct from Portugal or the Netherlands.  

This list is missing Rinus Michels and Johan Cruijff. 

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What's all this shit he coaches like arteta? He was a manager before arteta was. It would be better to say arteta coaches like him. Fucking Legohead cocksuckers. 

You'll like this then.

GL4cG6VXkAAwjkE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Not sure that's how tables work.

• Haha 1

If Edwards and Hughes get this one wrong and the next manager is jibbed then they should follow him out of the door. You want to be bold and brave that's fine if you believe in your data but if its wrong you can pay the same price as the man you employed. The Guru status of Edwards doesn't sit with me, there's only so many times I can hear "but Klopp wanted Brandt" Klopp was successful before Edwards and undoubtedly will be after. Edwards has as much to prove as Slot will.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

You follow Dutch football, why have a lot of the recent generation of managers struggled badly when they leave the Dutch League. 

read that as baldly at first. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If Edwards and Hughes get this one wrong and the next manager is jibbed then they should follow him out of the door. You want to be bold and brave that's fine if you believe in your data but if it’s wrong you can pay the same price as the man you employed. The Guru status of Edwards doesn't sit with me, there's only so many times I can hear "but Klopp wanted Brandt" Klopp was successful before Edwards and undoubtedly will be after. Edwards has as much to prove as Slot will.

There’s loads of reasons a manager can fail, doesn’t mean they weren’t the best option at the time.

You can’t deny our signings have got worse since Edwards left. 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The issue with Slot would be he's been doing it in the Dutch League. Can you take any of his success that seriously, is a legitimate question. But also, he might just be a great manager. Hard to say.

I think winning the league with Ajax or PSV is a piece of piss, but doing it with Feyenoord is a much bigger achievement. 

It's a risk, but that's the market we're in. There isn't a standout candidate available.

Seems we're trying to find the new Mainz Klopp as we couldn't get the new Dortmund (Alonso) one.

I guess it comes down to what do you prioritise, a proven winner or a good fit for the club, because right now someone with both isn't out there.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We've had months of the last thing we need is a Klopp lite and now it looks as though we are going for the most diluted version of Klopp you could possibly imagine. Worse still our new fresh start could keep this inverted right back bullshit! 

This is going to be worse than Hogdson. Big brendan Rodgers speeches for our new TV show. Fucking grim. As you can guess I'm not sold on this guy I'm far from sold on a guy who has done fairly okay with Feyenord taking one of the biggest football jobs on the planet. Modest Budgie FC.

I'm not convinced of that, think it's just the way it's being reported with possibly an element coming from the club to make it more palatable.

Nevertheless it's still a bit grim of course and it all turning to shit seems inevitable particularly since Xabi ruled himself out, felt like we might have stood a chance with him. But these cheap owners with an unproven manager at the helm with no links to the club, we've seen that show before.

If it's this guy, it's a pretty stupid appointment. Why take the risk on a manager from the Dutch league? Have they not seen how Ten Haag is doing

We aren't in a bad situation, do I think Klopp is leaving us with this amazing squad the media keeps talking about?...no. But it isn't rubbish either.

This is a good team, it's possibly 2 or 3 transfers from being a great team. Why the fuck would you take the risk and bring in a guy who has no experience managing at the highest level or even playing at the highest level? It's stupid.

He doesn't know the league. He'll have no pull in attracting top players. If things go badly we'll likely lose our good players. Why would the guys with 18 months left renew contracts for this guy? 

Some of you scoffed at De Zerbi, but I said it from the start, just get someone with premier league experience. Steady the ship and review it in 18 months time. No need to do anything fucking stupid when you have a good team. This is a crazy appointment, the risk isn't even worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

If it's this guy, it's a pretty stupid appointment. Why take the risk on a manager from the Dutch league? Have they not seen how Ten Haag is doing

We aren't in a bad situation, do I think Klopp is leaving us with this amazing squad the media keeps talking about?...no. But it isn't rubbish either.

This is a good team, it's possibly 2 or 3 transfers from being a great team. Why the fuck would you take the risk and bring in a guy who has no experience managing at the highest level or even playing at the highest level? It's stupid.

He doesn't know the league. He'll have no pull in attracting top players. If things go badly we'll likely lose our good players. Why would the guys with 18 months left renew contracts for this guy? 

Some of you scoffed at De Zerbi, but I said it from the start, just get someone with premier league experience. Steady the ship and review it in 18 months time. No need to do anything fucking stupid when you have a good team. This is a crazy appointment, the risk isn't even worth it. 

It's far too simplistic to compare him to Ten hag,just because they are both bald Dutch managers!

Slot has been getting Feyenoord to punch above their weight and compete with PSV and Ajax. It's completely different to Ten Hag who essentially looked out by inheriting a great squad of players at Ajax. 

From a managerial perspective, I don't think Premier League experience is necessary. We appointed Hodgson and Rodgers and look how they turned out?   

Slot has already achieved more in the game than most Premier League managers.

1 minute ago, joe_fishfish said:

De Zerbi isn't exactly risk free either

Yeah but he's heard of De Zerbi so there's less risk, that's the level of analysis we're working too.

He's bald like another manager we don't like, another manager from a different country didn't succeed so no managers from that country will succeed etc etc.

If he fails he'll fail on his own merits not because of some random consequential link.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

It's far too simplistic to compare him to Ten hag,just because they are both bald Dutch managers!

Slot has been getting Feyenoord to punch above their weight and compete with PSV and Ajax. It's completely different to Ten Hag who essentially looked out by inheriting a great squad of players at Ajax. 

From a managerial perspective, I don't think Premier League experience is necessary. We appointed Hodgson and Rodgers and look how they turned out?   

He has won one league title and one cup in the 10th best ranked league in Europe. 

IMG_0679.png

3 minutes ago, Code said:

He has won one league title and one cup in the 10th best ranked league in Europe. 

So more than most of the other names that have been recently linked then?

I'd rather go for a younger up and coming manager than a busted flush like Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel etc

Somebody like Slot will be far more hungry to prove themselves here too.  

8 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'm definitely not saying he's a bad manager. He might be a great manager. He might be tactically better than Klopp. 

But what I'm saying is why take the risk in the current situation? There is always going to be a dip post Klopp, it's kind of inevitable or expected. So just mitigate that risk and just steady the ship. Why take the gamble right now, it makes no sense.

I've never heard of this guy, most fans won't have, many players wont have. It's crazy to give him the job at one of the biggest clubs in the world and hope he can handle it. He doesn't have the status to buy him time if it goes wrong.

Hodgson was a stupid appointment because of his style of play and character. De Zerbi, might not be great, but we know what we are getting. We know his style of play but more importantly the players know his style. They would buy into him more because of his experience here. We need to keep our good players not risk losing them. 

Slot is the kind of gamble you take with a shit squad, hovering around 8th in the league. You don't need to take this kind of gamble with the team we have, it's mental.

11 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I'm definitely not saying he's a bad manager. He might be a great manager. He might be tactically better than Klopp. 

But what I'm saying is why take the risk in the current situation? There is always going to be a dip post Klopp, it's kind of inevitable or expected. So just mitigate that risk and just steady the ship. Why take the gamble right now, it makes no sense.

I've never heard of this guy, most fans won't have, many players wont have. It's crazy to give him the job at one of the biggest clubs in the world and hope he can handle it. He doesn't have the status to buy him time if it goes wrong.

Hodgson was a stupid appointment because of his style of play and character. De Zerbi, might not be great, but we know what we are getting. We know his style of play but more importantly the players know his style. They would buy into him more because of his experience here. We need to keep our good players not risk losing them. 

Slot is the kind of gamble you take with a shit squad, hovering around 8th in the league. You don't need to take this kind of gamble with the team we have, it's mental.

If there was a no risk option available then I'd agree.

What I don't understand is why you think De Zerbi is better? What's this based on?

You quite rightly say that most people haven't heard of Slot, but had you heard of De Zerbi before he became Brighton manger? Most people have only heard of De Zerbi because he now manages in England. 

It's not even like De Zerbi is doing particularly well at Brighton? They are 10th in the league. More or less where they were under Graham Potter.  If they were 4th this season I'd maybe understand it, but the reality is that Brighton are roughly where you'd expect them to be.

Personally I think Slot has achieved far more than De Zerbi. Unlike De Zerbi he knows how to win leagues and cups against teams that have bigger budgets, and that exactly what we need.