You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wataru Endo Welcome to Liverpool

John102

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

At first, I thought we’d signed someone who, at this stage in his career, seemed closer to a Championship player than one who’d end up being an outstanding part of a Premier League title challenge. I was completely and utterly wrong, of course.

I’m pretty sure there weren’t many who were right.

He’s been absolutely phenomenal. Playing to his best level in every game. There might still be games where we’ll need to set up an even more attacking midfield (Sczobo, Macca, Jones), but what a signing he has been! Probably up there with our best value-for-money deals we have ever done.

• Upvote 2

Think 1st 20 minutes he was letting KDB drop in the space behind him and in front of the defence, and was getting bypassed. After he adjusted we slowly got control of the game.

Best team in Europe who have routinely dominated our midfield, even at Anfield.

This was a serious test and he was outstanding. De Bruyne is their best player and he doesn’t get subbed off when they need a result.

Big performance.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Kevin D said:

Best team in Europe who have routinely dominated our midfield, even at Anfield.

This was a serious test and he was outstanding. De Bruyne is their best player and he doesn’t get subbed off when they need a result.

Big performance.

yep.  Once the game settled down, Endo was winning the ball from their midfield for fun.  Guardiola didn't like it so pulled De Bruyne.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Agree - our #8 has gone off the boil second half of the season here.

To be fair, he's barely played in 2024. He just needs some games now. Today came too soon for him. For once, there's a chance international duty might be good for us where he's concerned. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Sums it up.

Screenshot_20240310_211136_Chrome.jpg

After posting negatively on the Elliot thread, I'm going to have to do the same here. The opening part of the game, endo was awful. It's probably his first time he's ever played a game that quick and needed a half game or klopp putting him right at half time to change it up. For me this is where stats just don't help. Because there's no stat for "not getting near de bruyne for 30 minutes". 

Like much of our team, endo did well in the 2nd period. First half though, it was all too much for him. 

42 minutes ago, stringvest said:

yep.  Once the game settled down, Endo was winning the ball from their midfield for fun.  Guardiola didn't like it so pulled De Bruyne.

It was the equivalent of convincing Code that Salah needs to be brought off.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He is good. Nobody denies that. I'm just saying those stats don't really tell you the story of that 1st half. 

haven't seen the stats, but after 20 minutes, we managed them pretty well I think.  There's no way that the game was 'all too much for him', even in the first half.  Yes, we were bossed in that first part of the game, but as a team we responded really well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stringvest said:

haven't seen the stats, but after 20 minutes, we managed them pretty well I think.  There's no way that the game was 'all too much for him', even in the first half.  Yes, we were bossed in that first part of the game, but as a team we responded really well.

We absolutely did respond well in the 2md half. The first half I thought was split into 2 parts, either side of the goal. For the bit while the game was 0-0, endo was chasing shadows. He might have stats of 4/4 tackles won in the game for example, but for 30 minutes when we needed a tackle, he wasn't close enough to make one. Once they scored, the game changed - strangely for them, they almost seemed to decide they could hold on from there and the time wasting and trying to take the pace out of the game began..which was weird because most of the pace came from them. If they'd have kept their foot on our throats, I don't think we'd have got back in the game, but they didn't and the point becomes.moot. 2nd half for sure we fought back and were the best side. Endo and several others played a part in that. I'm not saying endo was shit. I'm just saying he was given the run around for a large part of the game. Credit to him he found a way to improve. 

11 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

A midfielder with a number 3. Still not having that. No matter how good he is.

The way the LFC website presents our first XI sequentially, instead of with their positions, annoys me to no end.

• Upvote 2