You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

57 minutes ago, Anubis said:

A single tweet from Tolovieri. Virtually everyone else says we’re his preferred destination. It may be he was open to moving to Chelsea if we didn’t up our fee. Now?

To be fair that Toloveri blert said we were his preferred destination until last night as well whilst also pretending that he'd known all along that he was going to Chelsea and had been spending time with his family this weekend celebrating his Chelsea move while at the same time tweeting about how Liverpool are favourites and he has no interest in Chelsea.

Chancers to a man, throw enough shit at the wall, hail what sticks bury what doesn't and repeat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

It's amazing how narrow teams are focusing their efforts. All these lads are young and unproven at the highest level and the only thing they've got in common is that you'd have seen them on match of the day last year and they'd be among the first names to spring to mind.

What happened to scouts? Time was we'd have been tracking Lavia while he was still in his dad's balls.

I can only guess Lavia is a target as he doesn't add to the Home grown/Non home grown currently and when he does I believe he will be counted as home grown?

Either way there are plenty of more experienced and reasonably priced targets out there if it's 60m we are looking to pay for his services.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's amazing how narrow teams are focusing their efforts. All these lads are young and unproven at the highest level and the only thing they've got in common is that you'd have seen them on match of the day last year and they'd be among the first names to spring to mind.

What happened to scouts? Time was we'd have been tracking Lavia while he was still in his dad's balls.

well city were tracking him when he was in his dads balls. and decided he wasn't going to cut it, so got rid. 

personally i don't really quite understand the fuss on him. i don't think aside from a small part of that arsenal game he did stand out last year. if someone had told us before the season ended we'd have not lost all the players who were going but our 3rd midfielder was him and we lost 2 of our senior players in there, you'd have thought they were mad. 

1 minute ago, bossy said:

The club has acted like complete dickheads. If you’re fancying Chelsea over Liverpool after our last few seasons, something has gone very wrong. 

Chelsea are offering more wages over a longer contract term - they are blowing us out of the water. If they agree a fee with Southampton we can forget about Lavia as well.

Its been a shambles since Fabino and Henderson left trying to low ball Southampton for weeks when we had the money and could have gotten the deal over the line. 

Unless we were indicating to Lavia and his reps, we wanted both him and Caicedo, he basically knows we are his 2am shag.

Absolute shambles this. Let's be honest a few days ago, most of us would have been delighted to get Lavia in. I really the look of the kid, even if he is a few years away from being elite. He seemed really keen from what we were hearing. Now, he just feels a bit like a 2nd or 3rd choice and regardless of what profession you are in, that is not a good way to get someone in. Obviously, he isn't going to turn us down, but can't say I blame the kid for being more than a bit fucked off. Chelsea will aim to fuck this up and to be fair given what we did to them with Caicedo, we deserve to be taken to the cleaners by them and Southampton. Amateur hour.

Why is everyone so sure that 50ml would ha e got him other than reports from the same journos who ha e been Chelsea mouthpieces for the last week. It was always said Southampton wanted a auction and Chelsea always wanted him aswell. They have bid as soon as we got a deal accepted and probably will now. They'll offer 150k tp our 130k and offer him a 8 year deal

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Unless we were indicating to Lavia and his reps, we wanted both him and Caicedo, he basically knows we are his 2am shag.

Absolute shambles this. Let's be honest a few days ago, most of us would have been delighted to get Lavia in. I really the look of the kid, even if he is a few years away from being elite. He seemed really keen from what we were hearing. Now, he just feels a bit like a 2nd or 3rd choice and regardless of what profession you are in, that is not a good way to get someone in. Obviously, he isn't going to turn us down, but can't say I blame the kid for being more than a bit fucked off. Chelsea will aim to fuck this up and to be fair given what we did to them with Caicedo, we deserve to be taken to the cleaners by them and Southampton. Amateur hour.

In fairness if he goes to Chelsea after they've paid a world record fee for two midfielders who'll be getting in the team ahead of him, he's even worse off than a 2am shag. He's asking to get messed around like some doe eyed dickhead chasing a girl who's barely even interested in him, except when she's feeling a bit depressed and wants the attention. We might be desperate but we'll treat him right - largely because we've got no choice but to line him up against Bournemouth at the weekend.

I reckon there'll be a root and branch after this window. FSG have done it to themselves of course by sleeping at the wheel while trying to sell us, but they like being thought of as the smartest guys in the room and won't like looking like this absolute shambles.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's conflict behind the scenes either

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Why is everyone so sure that 50ml would ha e got him other than reports from the same journos who ha e been Chelsea mouthpieces for the last week. It was always said Southampton wanted a auction and Chelsea always wanted him aswell. They have bid as soon as we got a deal accepted and probably will now. They'll offer 150k tp our 130k and offer him a 8 year deal

Again if you wade through the click bait crap it would seem that Chelsea were actually in for first and we have come along afterwards . As you say we not meeting the contracts being dished out to potential signings . Chelsea don't seem to care seemingly a free pass is given . While most on here delight in all things negative about Everton the way they are being treated/investigated while Chelsea spending with zero concerns that we know off does not sit right with me . 

9 minutes ago, Manny said:

In fairness if he goes to Chelsea after they've paid a world record fee for two midfielders who'll be getting in the team ahead of him, he's even worse off than a 2am shag. He's asking to get messed around like some doe eyed dickhead chasing a girl who's barely even interested in him, except when she's feeling a bit depressed and wants the attention. We might be desperate but we'll treat him right - largely because we've got no choice but to line him up against Bournemouth at the weekend.

Chelsea have also signed two other DMs, at least I think they're DMs, in Santos and some other guy with a long name beginning with O. I assumed Lavia must have left City to play, so he'd be better served coming here if that's the case. If he'd rather go to Chelsea, then it's probably bullet dodged anyway. 

1 hour ago, Dundalis said:

I have a feeling this preference to join Chelsea is based on the contract being offered. I have zero doubt that Chelsea can and will offer Caicedo and Lavia (and importantly, their agents) fees/wages that we would refuse to match given our particular wage structure. They haven't released the figures on Caicedo's supposed 8 year deal, but I bet it's something pretty damn extravagant. No reason for them not to do the same for Lavia, and if he just wants to move up to play for a top club, why wouldn't he choose the team that would offer him significantly more wages? Hope it's not the case, but there's literally no other good reason currently for random players to simply prefer Chelsea over us. It's not like they supported them as a kid, and I think the whole I wanna stick to my word as I've been in contact with them for a long time thing is complete BS. It's about money for the player and the agent.

Yeah, pointing blame at owners/negotiators in the football world we are living in is probably a waste of energy.

My take on this summer is that the player power has increased, and agents and selling clubs have moved the goalposts even further into “insufferable” mode, because the market allows them to. A wage ceiling and stricter rules can’t come soon enough, but nothing will happen because there will always be somebody wanting to line their pockets.

City - keep doing deals under the table. No punishment in sight. Pay 1/3 on the books, 2/3 off it.

Chelsea - blow everyone else out of the water with ridiculous non-sustainable contracts for dozens of players. Fine, no-one will look into it (see the theory above about being given the club for free). At worst, get a slap on the wrist.

Saudi - make even more ridiculous offers to footballers and their agents. Most of them will eat it up.

Unless you have unlimited amounts of money lying around and/or are willing to do shady as fuck deals, you have no chance to get the best players. Let’s face it, the reason why we’ve been able to attract the best players and keep them ours for the last few years is because we’ve been paying as well as anyone apart from City. Yes, they might have been incentive-based contracts, but there’s a reason why we’ve been near top of the table for the last years on both the wages bills (and maybe just as important) the list over fees paid to agents.

So, what’s the solution here for desperate fans wanting to get Lavia and other deals done to an acceptable price?

l think it’s pretty simple:

1. You either need to relax and tell yourself it’s just a game, or

2. We need owners that are even richer, and are willing to spend more and do even more shady shit than what’s going on at the moment.

Alternatively we need Fifa/Uefa/PL (ha-ha) to come in and regulate the market. I have no doubt we’d compete for the best players then, with us having Klopp and the fan base/history we have. For now, there’s just no way Caicedo, Lavia or one of the other mercenaries supposedly playing football for the love of the game is choosing us if we’re offering half or two-thirds of what Chelsea, City, PSG or Saudi are offering. PS! Can you imagine what the Saudis are paying Neymar to make him move from PSG?

I’m leaning towards pt 1, but I still become really animated on game days. For the shitshow that is the football economy and its regulation, I actually still get even more angry and frustrated at refereeing/VAR. We all know that City and Chelsea are cheating the regulations, It’s even harder to take when the refs are shifting us.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Manny said:

Not really. People go on and on about depth on here. Their midfield at the moment is Enzo, Gallagher, who they dont really rate and want to sell, Lesley, who I rate but who is 19, some guy who is 19 and whose first name is Carney and some guy called Andrey Santos. If that was our midfield, you would have precisely zero people on here who would not want both Caicedo and Lavia. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not really. People go on and on about depth on here. Their midfield at the moment is Enzo, Gallagher, who they dont really rate and want to sell, Lesley, who I rate but who is 19, some guy who is 19 and whose first name is Carney and some guy called Andrey Santos. If that was our our midfield, you would have precisely zero people on here who would not want both Caicedo and Lavia. 

Lavia left city because he doesn’t want to be “depth”, he wants (and needs) guaranteed minutes. He’s going to a club with no European football who have 220M worth of recently bough talent playing in his exact position. 

This is also a club that makes signings like it’s going out of fashion, they will buy another CDM in the next 24 months guaranteed. 

Lavia is an idiot. But our club is full of much bigger idiots, so who are we to judge.  

3 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Lavia left city because he doesn’t want to be “depth”, he wants (and needs) guaranteed minutes. He’s going to a club with no European football who have 220M worth of recently bough talent playing in his exact position. 

This is also a club that makes signings like it’s going out of fashion, they will buy another CDM in the next 24 months guaranteed. 

Lavia is an idiot. But our club is full of much bigger idiots, so who are we to judge.  

Maybe with your financial acumen that has led you to your massive salary, you can tell us all why these long contracts Chelsea are offering are so attractive to players, then. 

• Downvote 1

Liverpool have to change their approach if they want to get out of this mess. Everyone knows we want a CDM and so every target is inflated by 20%. 

Go and buy the two best defenders you can find and buy a CDM like Kone who isn’t too expensive. Bank on Kone, Thiago and Bajectic but have some very strong defenders behind them. 

This is why I said ages ago we should have gone for Gvardiol. He is a boyhood LFC fan and we would have got him for 90M, no way he chooses city over us. Then go buy Kone for 40M and Andre Tindade for 30M in January.