You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

44 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Totally in step with Fowler's coaching career, rather than the money in particular. Goes overseas to manage, comes back and does some coaching but gets no luck in management, goes back overseas. I don't know about Stevie, maybe it's the money, maybe it's experience managing (and Vs) better players. Sure he still has long term plans and if he's not getting offers in Europe why not?

Much less of an issue than players in their prime giving up their careers to make a few extra million imo, but it's always happened. We all know the South american club scene would be immense quality-wise if players weren't sent to Europe for the money.

All true, but it’s still association with the oil states and all the Shite we’ve thrown at Behedie etc 

I wonder if it’s also a longer term charm offensive to get into the LFC ‘family’ personally I don’t want us owned by a state, doesn’t fit TLW

I wonder if there might be loads more business still to come from us. Potentially Lavia and Thuram into midfield, Pavard to right back/right centre back, someone else to the left of defence who can play both positions, Thiago out, Matip out, Kostas out and then Big Nat and various kids to go too. Then maybe Kweev and as a long shot (but I doubt it now) Fabinho too.

I really hope so as it would tell us that Klopp is absolutely serious about shaking up the old squad and creating a great new team - and has the teeth to do so. Such a young squad might also persuade him to extend his contract again. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I wonder if there might be loads more business still to come from us. Potentially Lavia and Thuram into midfield, Pavard to right back/right centre back, someone else to the left of defence who can play both positions, Thiago out, Matip out, Kostas out and then Big Nat and various kids to go too. Then maybe Kweev and as a long shot (but I doubt it now) Fabinho too.

I really hope so as it would tell us that Klopp is absolutely serious about shaking up the old squad and creating a great new team - and has the teeth to do so. Such a young squad might also persuade him to extend his contract again. 

I agree with you, anything less than six new players and we riot!

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

If we do drop £40m+ on Lavia I probably will be annoyed. Not for spending too much, I have no idea what he's worth, but it will be a clear indication that we could have afforded Bellingham after all. 

Yeah but if we bought him we would have bought fewer players. Max Callidter and Szoboszlai fees are wages are roughly the same package as needed for Bellingham. We are in a far better position having both. We also don't know if Bellingham actually planned to sign or not

Talk growing on line of offers for Matip and Thiago. Wouldn't get much of a fee for Thiago from European clubs but even 5ml will save 15ml this year with wages. And for a player who misses 50% of our games they should take it. 

• Upvote 1

Turkey, an Elephants Grave Yard for footballers. 

EDIT - Don’t we want some 18 year old Turkish player? Does he play for Fenerbache with an £18m release clause? I’m actually working now, so
cant check. 

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Turkey, an Elephants Grave Yard for footballers. 

EDIT - Don’t we want some 18 year old Turkish player? Does he play for Fenerbache with an £18m release clause? I’m actually working now, so
cant check. 

The Turkish Messi.

Arda somebody.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It’s Arda Güler we apparently like - the Turkish Messi. 

He has an £18m buy out. 

Give them £10m + Thiago + keep him on loan next season. 

Doubt his club can afford Thiago's salary and that Thiago would want to go there

3 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Doubt his club can afford Thiago's salary and that Thiago would want to go there

If we’re giving him away as a make weight in a future deal, I’m sure they can find the money.

Plenty of washed up players have moved there in the past (Sneidjer, Drogba, Ozil, Podolski etc). 

At 32 & fit 50% of the time, he might not have many other options. 

I can't get my head around the rush to show Thiago the door. He's a brilliant footballer who will be replaced by an inferior one if he's replaced at all. We have budgeted for him for another year so let's use him when he's available and let the money people worry about the money.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I can't get my head around the rush to show Thiago the door. He's a brilliant footballer who will be replaced by an inferior one if he's replaced at all. We have budgeted for him for another year so let's use him when he's available and let the money people worry about the money.

Ideal world you'd keep him but if you can pick up a bit of cash and finish your midfield rebuild with a 4th midfielder, the problems that come with that accepted, in a year where you're in the Europa league and have greater scope to bed them in then maybe you pull the trigger now.

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

It would be a big mistake. We are finally creating a situation where we could use him tactically, pick our spots with him and maximize the chance that he is fit, and now people want him to go. It's not like we absolutely need his wages off the books either, we cleared a bunch already. 

It's up to him if he wants to stay ultimately, but pushing him out is crazy. The only argument would be that the season is lower stakes with the Europa League so you can do a big, big turnover. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

I genuinely wonder how other players feel about sicknote players though. We've had about five stealing a living and in my mind it sort of detracts from the idea of a young squad of athletes who're ready to take on all comers.

Whenever Thiago or Keita or Chamberlain phoned in sick you'd just roll your eyes and wonder what the point of them was, I'm sure the lads must feel the same regardless of what they say in public.

That was the culture the likes of Ferguson created at late 90s mancs, Shanks and Paisley did too. They wanted to play, the managers wanted them available, and if they weren't they may as well be dead.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It would be a big mistake. We are finally creating a situation where we could use him tactically, pick our spots with him and maximize the chance that he is fit, and now people want him to go. Makes no sense. It's not like we absolutely need his wages off the books either, we cleared a bunch already.

It's up to him if he wants to stay ultimately, but pushing him out is crazy. 

Precisely.  Imagine benefitting from his strengths - i.e. what we bought him for rather than ask him to do the jobs that others tasked with those jobs were incapable of doing for the last few seasons.  

He's a world class player and him being allowed to focus on his strengths would make a material difference to our chances of success.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I genuinely wonder how other players feel about sicknote players though. We've had about five stealing a living and in my mind it sort of detracts from the idea of a young squad of athletes who're ready to take on all comers.

Whenever Thiago or Keita or Chamberlain phoned in sick you'd just roll your eyes and wonder what the point of them was, I'm sure the lads must feel the same regardless of what they say in public.

That was the culture the likes of Ferguson created at late 90s mancs, Shanks and Paisley did too. They wanted to play, the managers wanted them available, and if they weren't they may as well be dead.

You can't equate Thiago with the other two.  He is seen as a leader on and off the pitch.  He's a fantastic mentor to the likes of Bajetic.

If Klopp wants to build a new young, hungry, energetic, full of pressing, full of legs, physical team with quality of course too - then for me there is no real place for an ageing, rarely fit player who is going in 12 months anyway.

It will be the same old story with Thiago again if he stays - regardless of supposedly 'managing his minutes' etc.....Time to move on IMO and be ruthless in doing so.

• Upvote 1

Nobody is a bigger Thiago fan than me. IMO, he’s one of the most talented players to ever play for us. 

I genuinely feel less could be more for him next season and hopefully, he’d be an available for >50% of games. Him and Trent in a double pivot could be glorious - it would be like having peak Molby & Alonso in the middle. 

In a perfect world, I’d keep him.

Unfortunately, it’s not a perfect world. If somebody is offering us a fee now, the potential to shift c.£10m off the wage bill, free up a non-homegrown spot and replace him with a youngster who can use the EL & domestic cups to propel themselves forwards towards being a starter next season when we’re hopefully back in the CL, I’m really sorry, IMO, we have to take it. 

• Upvote 1