You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

The money for Gakpo didn't suddenly appear in the bank account on Jan 1. Even if you plan stuff for windows in advance, you can buy whenever you want if the money is there. 

The 8 midfielder thing is just a fact, really. I don't know why people ignore it. When some of them leave this summer, we'll magically buy a couple midfielders. 

I don't know what you mean? It's just budget pull forward. Clearly the money is there because we're absolutely fucking loaded, the 3rd richest club on the planet. But FSG don't make it available in the budget. 

What do you mean the 8 midfielder is a fact? Players like keita and Chamberlain if they weren't leaving needed to be told they wouldn't be involved and you just go out and buy 2 more. Don't include them in the squad. 

Anyway, I can't be arsed with that discussion. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know what you mean? It's just budget pull forward. Clearly the money is there because we're absolutely fucking loaded, the 3rd richest club on the planet. But FSG don't make it available in the budget. 

What do you mean the 8 midfielder is a fact? Players like keita and Chamberlain if they weren't leaving needed to be told they wouldn't be involved and you just go out and buy 2 more. Don't include them in the squad. 

Anyway, I can't be arsed with that discussion. 

You can't actually believe the stuff in bold is something Klopp would do. You'd think supporters would know what kind of manager he was 8 years into his time here.

The budget stuff is just pure speculation. 

• Upvote 2

So he was good enough for us when we made a last minute bid in the summer that gave Brighton no time to replace him, yet now we need him more than ever, we’re nowhere to be seen. If he was a left sided forward Ljinders would have had 2 interviews with him by now before he got to meet the last boss.

52 minutes ago, an tha said:

If we finished 9th it would be our lowest finishing position since we returned to the top flight in 1962.

We have had i think it is 4 8th place finished including that first season back in 1962/3.

Tongue in cheek firmly with that, reckon 6-8th

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Tongue in cheek firmly with that, reckon 6-8th

Oh not suggesting you think we might finish 9th.

I still hold out hope of 4th - fuck knows why, blind faith i suppose.

Just feel Newcastle are not all that and we could get after them - still leaves Tottenham and Chelsea mind to finish above.

Next few games are massive to either set us up to have a go or kill any hope.

The big problem is if there is no top 4 how badly will it affect our spending/ability to attract targets.

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

Oh not suggesting you think we might finish 9th.

I still hold out hope of 4th - fuck knows why, blind faith i suppose.

Just feel Newcastle are not all that and we could get after them - still leaves Tottenham and Chelsea mind to finish above.

Next few games are massive to either set us up to have a go or kill any hope.

The big problem is if there is no top 4 how badly will it affect our spending/ability to attract targets.

we don’t get top 4 these cunts will have the likes of Pearce telling us we’re on the brink of bankruptcy 

7 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

See that Leeds are gonna buy Weston McKennie from Juventues for 25m. 

I know he's not Bellingham, but surely at that price we should be taking a look? I can't believe that we aren't doing anything to address the midfield situation while we watch Arsenal and Chelsea spunk tens of millions on this area of the pitch. 

Sounds like a show pony.

Literally, he sounds like a show pony.

• Upvote 1

It’s the story on Caicedo that we like him but we think whatever this fee is going to be (>£60m) is too much? 

I have to admit, he does look a player, that fee for 26 Brighton appearances feels like a piss take.

I also think the same on Enzo Fernandes.

Still, it’s always sellers market and clubs can stick to their guns.

In fairness to our scouts we did identify and were prepared to pay a decent chunk for a kid with a handful of minutes. That could be a contributing factor to them leaving, they are bringing Saka and Caicedo to the club but the boss prefers what he already has.

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You can't actually believe the stuff in bold is something Klopp would do. You'd think supporters would know what kind of manager he was 8 years into his time here.

The budget stuff is just pure speculation. 

Klopp actually said recently something like that "it was clear there's sometimes at the end of a season players who've been great but it's time to change and it's fine to say thanks for the good times, move on and replace them. But you can't replace them if you can't bring in someone new". It was around all that stuff he went on about loyalty. Of course klopp doesn't want those two near his team, but he's dealt the hand his given by the budgets in place.