You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

I admire the optimism on here. Let's hope he works out fine. Personally, apart from the charity shield, I haven't seen him do anything in a red shirt that has convinced me the £65m has been well spent, at all. Missing good chances against a lower league-quality Rangers team hasn't made me feel any better. 

I thought he was great when he played against us last season. That's the Nunez I want to see. 

Fingers crossed he bangs in a couple against Arsenal and the oils cheats. 

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We signed Diaz in January to replace mane. If you don't think Nunez is an improvement on divock, you're not watching. 

I don't believe Nunez was a panic signing at all. We know he has potential, we just also know he's a bit of a rough diamond and it'll take time. All of our forwards will score goals this season, Nunez included (in fact I wouldn't be shocked if he's our leading scorer come June).

The only thing taking this team backwards at the moment is our absolutely shit defending. That starts at the front and I would argue includes Diaz, carvalho, Elliot and Nunez all trying to learn how to press at a time when Jota has been injured (who leads the press), firmino seems to have less legs and our midfield has been struggling to get on the pitch. If we stop conceding shit goals, this team and our forwards will be just fine. Across the PL & CL this season we're averaging about 1.4 goals per game against and have conceded 2 or more goals in 4 of our 10 games. You can't go into every game needing to score 3 (and sometimes that not being enough), it is not a platform for success. We need to stop conceding goals, get through this run of game till the WC with as many clean sheets as possible. Then we can genuinely value our goals up the other end. 

Of course he's an improvement on Origi- not questioning that.  

49 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I admire the optimism on here. Let's hope he works out fine. Personally, apart from the charity shield, I haven't seen him do anything in a red shirt that has convinced me the £65m has been well spent, at all. Missing good chances against a lower league-quality Rangers team hasn't made me feel any better. 

I thought he was great when he played against us last season. That's the Nunez I want to see. 

The Nunez who was great against us last season was having a consistent run of starts in a well settled team who made it to the CL qfinals.

Liverpool havent played well in most games this season and Nunez hasnt had a consistent run of starts (partly due to his stupid sending off). In fact he has had only 3 starts in all competitions. All these factors should be considered when expecting to see him at his best.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

How often will he be up against teams that stands as high as we do, and give away so much space at the back as we did in those matches.

The reality he is up against for us is parked buses and ridiculous time wasting, not acres of space to run into. 

Apart from missing a few chances, his all round game was really good last night. 

Held the ball up well, brought other players into the game, won most of his headers, always looked a threat on the shoulder of the last defender. 

Clearly I’d have liked him to have scored, this performance is the standard now and if he continues playing like last night and does the right things, the goals will come.

Not saying for a second he’ll be as good as Suarez, when Suarez initially joined he was putting in good performances without converting as many as he should, he kept doing the right things and the goals came in bucket loads. 

11 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Last week there was a video doing the round of him fizzing a well-hit shot over the bar against Iran.

The comments were "what a hit".

We'd be laughing at another fanbase saying that about their £60-80m CF signing.

He's always stood out as an odd signing for Klopp.  Physicality without technique.  He'd never done that before.  Now, he can't not pick him or everyone asks questions. 

I just don't see it. It was seemingly a rash signing,  with no known rival for his signature?  It's genuinely a head-scratcher.  Whereas as previous head-scratcher like Caulker and Dahoud were free, or low risk like Minamino or Davies,  this was not. 

I was one of those who voted against signing him. However, I am willing to see the positives and I understand the various factors which have led to his slow start. Team is generally playing poorly, no consistent starts for him, period of adaptation, stupid 3 game ban etc

A handful of fans wrote "what a hit" about his shot. Yeah, so fucking what? They were probably trying to counterbalance the absolute hysteria surrounding Nunez in which people like you look for the tiniest thing to criticise him for, even in training sessions.

I'm sure in that same video there were loads more slating him for that miss vs Iran. He scored a header in the next game by the way. Hope you are not pissed off if I write - "What a header".

He does have technique. If you watched closely yesterday, his control and touch are generally good. His passing & dribbling can be erratic though. Those can improve. And by the way, Man Utd were also strongly in for him. So you're wrong for saying there was no known rival for his signature.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Code said:

How often will he be up against teams that stands as high as we do, and give away so much space at the back as we did in those matches.

The reality he is up against for us is parked buses and ridiculous time wasting, not acres of space to run into. 

Yeah, that'd be my worry. Apparently he's insanely fast, but we're unlikely to see that against packed defences. Mo has struggled with this too over the last year. 

Also, the fact that our defensive line is so high leaves him and others with even less space. Maybe we need to drop back a couple of yards?

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What I took from tonight, is what you saw when he played us last year, kind of hitting the ball at the earliest opportunity as the ball is out of his feet before the keeper is set. But tonight his shots were a bit too down the middle as you said, so saved by default, but I like that get the shot off early style. Once he's relaxed and bangs a few, he'll be able to smash them down the middle and the goalie will be jumping out of the way. 

We need to keep him going now. 

Not making a direct comparison here, but those early shots are one of the reasons Rush was so lethal. Definitely some exciting times ahead if he keeps working. 

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What I took from tonight, is what you saw when he played us last year, kind of hitting the ball at the earliest opportunity as the ball is out of his feet before the keeper is set. But tonight his shots were a bit too down the middle as you said, so saved by default, but I like that get the shot off early style. Once he's relaxed and bangs a few, he'll be able to smash them down the middle and the goalie will be jumping out of the way. 

We need to keep him going now. 

Not making a direct comparison here, but those early shots are one of the reasons Rush was so lethal. Definitely some exciting times ahead if he keeps working. 

42 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, that'd be my worry. Apparently he's insanely fast, but we're unlikely to see that against packed defences. Mo has struggled with this too over the last year. 

Also, the fact that our defensive line is so high leaves him and others with even less space. Maybe we need to drop back a couple of yards?

i thought what was interesting watching him yesterday was his pace over short and long distances. he has the sort of breath taking initial acceleration that torres used to have. but there was another time he was chasing one of their players for a loose ball and he was gaining a yard almost every yard he ran. 

personally i think salah has lost that initial burst. he's still quick over 20 yards, but over 2 or 3 he just doesn't seem to have that quick burst to get passed or in front of his marker. 

29 minutes ago, Aventus said:

yep - right down the line, torres and fowler too could do it. owen and suarez to some extent too. it makes a big difference. you will score loads of goals even when you don't hit it well. 

28 minutes ago, Aventus said:

seems your double post is making a direct comparison with itself! 

32 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Hopefully.

A large part of our recent success is based on breaking at speed and short interchanges between the front 3 leading to them all weighing in around the 20 goals mark.

Getting the best out of Nunez would mean a shift in our build up play but to what cost the other attackers    

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/i-have-to-calm-my-nerves-during-the-games-darwin-nunez-opens-up-on-difficult-start-to-liverpool-career-42042229.html

‘I have to calm my nerves during the games’ – Darwin Nunez opens up on ‘difficult’ start to Liverpool career
Darwin Nunez reacts after a missed chance during Liverpool's Champions League Group A win over Rangers at Anfield

Liverpool striker Darwin Nunez admits he has found his adaptation to English football difficult but accepts part of that was self-inflicted.

The Uruguay international, a £64million summer signing who could end up costing a club-record £85m, scored in his first two appearances but was then banned after foolishly getting himself sent off.

His red card against Crystal Palace after reacting to provocation by defender Joachim Andersen was particularly disruptive as a three-match ban left the forward effectively having to start from scratch.

He has failed to score in five appearances since his return but, on his first start since that dismissal, he put in an encouraging performance in the 2-0 Champions League win over Rangers.

"The truth is that it was a little difficult to adapt but I believe that, as training and games go by, I will adapt little by little," he told TNT Sports Brasil.

"(After the red card) was a very tough time. I was suspended for three games, I know I made a big mistake and now I'm aware that it won't happen again.

"I have to calm my nerves during the games, talk less. We all make mistakes and I know it will serve as a learning experience.

"The important thing is to leave my mark on the team, someone who can always contribute by playing well and, if I don't score, I have to be calm.

"When the first one goes in, more will go in. I've been through that (goal droughts) and it's a little uncomfortable because, in the end, as forwards we live on goals.

"But I'm calm, the coach has always supported me. My team-mates also support me at all times and I will always try to help the team by scoring goals or, even without a goal, try to help the best I can."

Jurgen Klopp praises ‘important’ Champions League victory for Liverpool against Rangers
Majestic Trent Alexander Arnold strike gets Liverpool back to winning ways against Rangers
The language barrier has been something of an issue for the former Benfica striker, certainly in his discussions with manager Jurgen Klopp, and he has leant heavily on Portuguese-speaking assistant boss Pep Lijnders and Portugal native Vitor Matos, another member of the coaching staff.

Klopp and Lijnders spoke with Nunez at the weekend in an attempt to reassure him their faith was unwavering and he should not worry and the striker responded at Anfield.

"Well, we don't talk much. I don't know English and he (Klopp) doesn't know Spanish," he added.

"(Pep and Vitor) are the translators when Klopp talks to the group. They sit next to me and explain what I have to do.

"If they didn't explain it to me, I'd enter the field with no idea what to do.

"But the relationship with the coach is that he supports me, gives me confidence and I have to repay that on the field."

1 hour ago, Code said:

Some very good points there, we play so open that judging how a player plays against us isn't a great indicator. It's probably why he did well against City too, who are just as open and high.

That said, it's almost like some of the people on here haven't heard of the word form.

He's in bad form, lacking confidence, under pressure to immediately be a success and has had a stop start season so far.

He played well last night. His touch was much better, he linked up the play well and made some good runs. When you're struggling for form it's a good idea to keep your game as simple as possible, hit the target, concentrate on technique. Got no problem with him hitting his shots at the keeper yesterday, I'd be more worried if he was slashing at them wildly and miss kicking everything like he has been.

He built some kind of base to build from last yesterday, it's the only way he's going to gain some confidence. But atleast there were some signs of a player being in there. His movement and runs were good.

People are fucking stupid if they think he's going to turn his form around in one game just like that. He's clearly raw and going to be a work in progress, he's needs the fans support and time. We knew what we were buying, the potential, Klopp even called him raw early on. Give him a chance to improve and don't expect everything to happen immediately. 

And before some cunt says £65 million on potential, fuck off. We rolled the dice, it's a moneyball signing and it's how we've done things for years now. Some will work, many have, the odd one won't.

He could grow into a good player but he might not, people have to be ready for that and accept it for what it is.

• Upvote 1

It's not a money ball signing we've paid a world class fee for a player we hope will become worldclass. His signing is more of a risk. I'm not worried about him. Fees are mad these days he's cost 5 million more than Richarlison and the fee only increases if he becomes a success with us. I think he will end up scoring loads for us but it may take time, klopp said as much when we signed him.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Some very good points there, we play so open that judging how a player plays against us isn't a great indicator. It's probably why he did well against City too, who are just as open and high.

That said, it's almost like some of the people on here haven't heard of the word form.

He's in bad form, lacking confidence, under pressure to immediately be a success and has had a stop start season so far.

He played well last night. His touch was much better, he linked up the play well and made some good runs. When you're struggling for form it's a good idea to keep your game as simple as possible, hit the target, concentrate on technique. Got no problem with him hitting his shots at the keeper yesterday, I'd be more worried if he was slashing at them wildly and miss kicking everything like he has been.

He built some kind of base to build from last yesterday, it's the only way he's going to gain some confidence. But atleast there were some signs of a player being in there. His movement and runs were good.

People are fucking stupid if they think he's going to turn his form around in one game just like that. He's clearly raw and going to be a work in progress, he's needs the fans support and time. We knew what we were buying, the potential, Klopp even called him raw early on. Give him a chance to improve and don't expect everything to happen immediately. 

And before some cunt says £65 million on potential, fuck off. We rolled the dice, it's a moneyball signing and it's how we've done things for years now. Some will work, many have, the odd one won't.

He could grow into a good player but he might not, people have to be ready for that and accept it for what it is.

A fair assessment apart from one point-  Its pretty far from a moneyball signing

Just now, Pete said:

I swear half his problems would disappear if Haaland wasn’t banging them in for fun.  People are idiots and like to make comparisons.   

Disagree somewhat here. I think it we were banging them in for fun, Mo and Jota and Diaz was all scoring and we were winning, then he wouldn't be under such scrutiny. But since we are struggling, then the spotlight gets shined more on him. Add to the fact that he completely lost his head and people are, rightly or wrongly, scrutinising him more. I don't think it has much to do with comparing him to someone else.

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

I swear half his problems would disappear if Haaland wasn’t banging them in for fun.  People are idiots and like to make comparisons.   

It would also help if people stopped thinking of him as Mane’s replacement. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Disagree somewhat here. I think it we were banging them in for fun, Mo and Jota and Diaz was all scoring and we were winning, then he wouldn't be under such scrutiny. But since we are struggling, then the spotlight gets shined more on him. Add to the fact that he completely lost his head and people are, rightly or wrongly, scrutinising him more. I don't think it has much to do with comparing him to someone else.

Every media outlet ran Nunez Vs Haaland articles and stories prior to the first game of the season.  Headlines after the Charity Shield were to the tune of 'First blood to Nunez' etc.  

53 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

It was evident right away that comparisons were getting drawn between him and Haaland even before they kicked a competitive ball. As early as the community shield game, there was a lot of chat everywhere about what Nunez did and what Haaland didn't. 

Mo, Jota and Diaz are not scoring for fun. That causes pressure right away for Nunez. Because as soon as that freak started banging in a shitload of goals for City, the focus was going to be on a similar striker (in physique) who was conversely struggling at Liverpool.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Every media outlet ran Nunez Vs Haaland articles and stories prior to the first game of the season.  Headlines after the Charity Shield were to the tune of 'First blood to Nunez' etc.  

Fucksake, you beat me to it. I even went the longer route.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Haaland is arguably the best player on the planet right now along with De Bruyne. He's a freak.