You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alternative 'rona thread

Pureblood

https://www.wionews.com/science/study-reveals-that-proteins-taken-from-shark-immune-systems-can-neutralise-covid-19-and-its-variants-437822

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27611-y

As the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic wreaked havoc across the world in the past two years, scientists and researchers are busy developing ways to counter the threat efficiently and curb the spread of the virus in the community. 

Safety measures such as face masks, social distancing, sanitising are still in place in the areas where the cases are rising, owing to new variants and community spread. 

COVID-19 vaccines are effective against the virus but their effect sometimes varies in case of the mutations of the virus, the complexity of vaccination strategies, etc. 

New research, published in Nature Communications, has revealed that antibody-like proteins found in a shark's immune system can also be a counter to the Covid. The proteins could also prevent different variants – such as Delta, Omicron. 

"This study highlights the utility of VNARs as effective therapeutics against coronaviruses and may serve as a critical milestone for nearing a paradigm shift of the greater biologic landscape," abstract of the study read. 

Aaron LeBeau, a pathologist from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a co-author of the new study, said in a statement, "These small antibody-like proteins can get into nooks and crannies that human antibodies cannot access."

"They can form these very unique geometries. This allows them to recognize structures in [coronavirus] proteins that our human antibodies cannot," he added. 

The study mentioned that the single-domain Variable New Antigen Receptors (VNARs) from the immune system of sharks are the smallest naturally occurring binding domains found in nature.

As per the study, the ability of the VNARs to neutralise the Covid virus rivalled or exceeded that of full-length immunoglobulins and other single-domain antibodies. 

Crystallographic analysis of two VNARs found that they recognised separate epitopes on the RBD and had distinctly different mechanisms of virus neutralisation unique to VNARs. 

Structural and biochemical data suggest that VNARs would be effective therapeutic agents against emerging SARS-CoV-2 mutants, including the Delta variant. 

"The big issue is there are a number of coronaviruses that are poised for emergence in humans," said LeBeau. 

"What we're doing is preparing an arsenal of shark VNAR therapeutics that could be used down the road for future SARS outbreaks. It's a kind of insurance against the future," he added.

54 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is that claim about Fauci true? Surely, if there are peer-reviewed, published studies that show a treatment is safe and effective then doctors would just act on that, rather than waiting for Fauci to announce it?

I think he means that if Fauci being in the position he's in had recommended fluvoxamine it would've got a lot of attention, could've helped it gain acceptance earlier on and saved lives.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think he means that if Fauci being in the position he's in had recommended fluvoxamine it would've got a lot of attention, could've helped it gain acceptance earlier on and saved lives.

When was it shown to be safe and effective? Those studies seem to be fairly recent. Obviously, Fauci would have been wrong to bang the drum for any potential treatment before it's been proven to be safe and effective.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

When was it shown to be safe and effective? Those studies seem to be fairly recent. Obviously, Fauci would have been wrong to bang the drum for any potential treatment before it's been proven to be safe and effective.

He says this in his tweet : "2 favorable trials reported in JAMA & Lancet in the spring & fall." The guy isn't exactly some random conspiracy nut with no idea about medicine so I'm going to assume he might have a good point.

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

He says this in his tweet : "2 favorable trials reported in JAMA & Lancet in the spring & fall." The guy isn't exactly some random conspiracy nut with no idea about medicine so I'm going to assume he might have a good point.

Without seeing the JAMA or Lancet reports, I'd say the most likely reason for Fauci (or anybody else) being reluctant to promote this treatment is that "favourable trials" are not enough to go on. I'm guessing that the "favourable trials" led to more research, which proved positive, which is why the stuff is now being recommended.

I wouldn't take the claim that Fauci's the bad guy at face value.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Without seeing the JAMA or Lancet reports, I'd say the most likely reason for Fauci (or anybody else) being reluctant to promote this treatment is that "favourable trials" are not enough to go on. I'm guessing that the "favourable trials" led to more research, which proved positive, which is why the stuff is now being recommended.

I wouldn't take the claim that Fauci's the bad guy at face value.

Let me just wheel out my big tinfoil hat for a minute.

*puts on hat*

I think Fauci is basically protecting Pfizer and Merck so that they can make more cash from their new treatments. The same could be said about the vaccines. Look at how he reacts to covaxin, an Indian vaccine in this clip. Note that he says that it hadn't been submitted for FDA approval which was proven to be false. He also says it's not alternative even though it's a different type of vaccine and he seems to be getting pretty wound up just answering a couple of simple questions. If covaxin became widely used around the world it's clearly not going to be good for Pfizer, Moderna, etc.

26 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

*puts on hat*

I think Fauci is basically protecting Pfizer and Merck so that they can make more cash from their new treatments. The same could be said about the vaccines. Look at how he reacts to covaxin, an Indian vaccine in this clip. Note that he says that it hadn't been submitted for FDA approval which was proven to be false. He also says it's not alternative even though it's a different type of vaccine and he seems to be getting pretty wound up just answering a couple of simple questions. If covaxin became widely used around the world it's clearly not going to be good for Pfizer, Moderna, etc.

FDA actions may not impact Covaxin's use around the world, as they didn't impact on Chinese, Russian or AZ vaccines. The US will always protect its manufacturers, it is not only about profits but it is also politically and strategically important. 

22 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

*puts on hat*

Fauci, for all I know, might be on the take in a massive way. That's not really the point I was trying to make. I'm just taking Makary's insinuation - that a safe and effective treatment had been suppressed - with a pinch of salt, because he hasn't provided any evidence of that happening. (For example, if he'd linked to the JAMA and Lancet reports and these were more than just promising early studies - or if he'd provided evidence of that treatment being accepted in use in other countries - then Fauci's reticence on the subject would look a bit suspicious.)

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fauci, for all I know, might be on the take in a massive way. That's not really the point I was trying to make. I'm just taking Makary's insinuation - that a safe and effective treatment had been suppressed - with a pinch of salt, because he hasn't provided any evidence of that happening. (For example, if he'd linked to the JAMA and Lancet reports and these were more than just promising early studies - or if he'd provided evidence of that treatment being accepted in use in other countries - then Fauci's reticence on the subject would look a bit suspicious.)

In a pandemic time is of the essence, there is no time to mess around.  If something shows promise, use it and see if it works more.  Fauci has a duty to find the best treatment and protect lives.

Servile people like you swallow the whole narrative like a Matrix pill. 

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm just taking Makary's insinuation - that a safe and effective treatment had been suppressed - with a pinch of salt, because he hasn't provided any evidence of that happening.

Maybe he will eventually, he seems to be getting increasingly pissed off (especially when it comes to the way the FDA could be about to approve boosters for kids) so he might hold back less in the future.

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is that claim about Fauci true? Surely, if there are peer-reviewed, published studies that show a treatment is safe and effective then doctors would just act on that, rather than waiting for Fauci to announce it?

Apparently Peer reviews are only reviews done on the data available to the scientists, not all data. Big Pharma own the data so when a peer review is done, it’s not done with all the data obtained during trials. The data is withheld. So to me, it’s not really a full review. 

John Abramson explains it better than I can. He is a litigation expert and involving pharmaceutical and medical devices. 

Here is his CV for anyone who wants to question his authority on the subject 

https://hcp.hms.harvard.edu/sites/g/files/mcu831/files/assets/users/CVs/Affiliated/Abrahamson.pdf

I don’t know who Covid-1984 is, he’s just got a clip of the video. He’s defo got his stance on the argument, but I couldn’t be arsed searching Twitter for someone who isn’t a bit of knob, I’d still be here in 2321.

Also started checking out TK’s boy Robert Malone. About 90 minutes in and it’s an interesting discussion. And, if any of what he has said is true, it should be out there more and not suppressed by the likes of big tech (YouTube & Twitter) which is a very concerning thing with me. But that’s a different debate for a different thread. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, A Red said:

Who are the individuals tasked with deciding if info is false or not on these platforms? Is it qualified people or just general staff?

Robert Malone mentions in his interview with Rogan that he was banned from LinkedIn but was reinstated after a he received a letter apologising for his ban as those fact checking were not qualified enough (paraphrasing here) 

I appreciate it is their platform and they can ban anyone they want, however for me all that does is create echo chambers and that’s dangerous for society. It also feeds into this new narrative that there is a “Mass Pyschosis” going on. 

• Upvote 1