You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

5 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Well, whoever wins the next election needs to make energy self-sufficiency, in particular renewable energy capacity, a major priority. We're in an incredible position on this island with so much wind and a lengthy coast with a huge tidal range, it's a crime that we're not leading the world in these technologies.

I was going to say that the Tories winning will probably just keep things going along like they have been but maybe after this winter they'll be less able to get away with the usual bullshit. I've thought from around the time that Starmer became Labour leader though that the establishment will arrange for him to be PM eventually (Tories always in power kind of destroys any illusion of democracy) so maybe it'll be down to him and the other coalition leader(s) if that happens.

28 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The chancellor who put electricity into his stables and put it on expenses. We need to cut back on pricks like him it would be far more effective.

It’s a terrible message but it’s true.  People will have to set thermostats at 17 instead of 21. No one will freeze at 17 but they won’t be warm.  

Then the government needs to invest in nuclear, renewables and improving insulation. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Your thoughts are clear and are wrong.  Giving people advice in an area you have no expertise in is a bit shit, especially when it could have serious impacts on things like credit ratings.  If this was a work call I’d be marking you down.  Maybe that woman at work has a point.  

What advice have I given people on & in which area?

These are perfectly reasonable questions, given you've clearly misunderstood what I am saying on a number of occasions in this thread.

37 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Well, whoever wins the next election needs to make energy self-sufficiency, in particular renewable energy capacity, a major priority. We're in an incredible position on this island with so much wind and a lengthy coast with a huge tidal range, it's a crime that we're not leading the world in these technologies.

Im far from convinced renewable energy generation will be anything other than supplemental to conventional means.

Unless the world comes together and creates a Dyson swarm, the Sun generally only shines for a maximum 12 hours a day. That creates at least 3 problems. Solar only produces during daylight hours. To store that energy, we'd need huge batteries banks, not impossible but needs siting somewhere. The amount of light hitting the solar panels varies so too does the voltage they produce and, huge areas of the countryside would need to be covered with them.

The wind doesnt always blow and when it does, it isnt constant. UK turbines have to feather and therefore dont produce electricity when the wind is 55mph and above. Ideally, they need a 13mph windspeed and much below that, arent efficient.

Tidal surges only happen in estuaries and, barriers for generation turbines cause problems for shipping. Wave generation can be used in deeper open water but even these have limitations, no waves, no energy produced.

Im all for renewables but I dont think they're the panacea to our energy issues some seem to think they are.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im far from convinced renewable energy generation will be anything other than supplemental to conventional means.

Unless the world comes together and creates a Dyson swarm, the Sun generally only shines for a maximum 12 hours a day. That creates at least 3 problems. Solar only produces during daylight hours. To store that energy, we'd need huge batteries banks, not impossible but needs siting somewhere. The amount of light hitting the solar panels varies so too does the voltage they produce and, huge areas of the countryside would need to be covered with them.

The wind doesnt always blow and when it does, it isnt constant. UK turbines have to feather and therefore dont produce electricity when the wind is 55mph and above. Ideally, they need a 13mph windspeed and much below that, arent efficient.

Tidal surges only happen in estuaries and, barriers for generation turbines cause problems for shipping. Wave generation can be used in deeper open water but even these have limitations, no waves, no energy produced.

Im all for renewables but I dont think they're the panacea to our energy issues some seem to think they are.

Honestly. It’s fucking excruciating.  

Alan Partridge merged with Richard Madeley. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

What advice have I given people on & in which area?

These are perfectly reasonable questions, given you've clearly misunderstood what I am saying on a number of occasions in this thread.

You’ve told them to sign up to Don’t Pay. 

As I type this a spokesperson for Which is saying it’s a bad idea for all the reasons I’ve said.   

You know literally fuck all about this.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The chancellor who put electricity into his stables and put it on expenses. We need to cut back on pricks like him it would be far more effective.

They’re eating themselves. These past 12 years have seen the worst Governments in our entire history. Evil, incompetent, cruel, duplicitous, vain, corrupt, they’ve had it all in spades……cut back on usage indeed, most will be unable to turn the fucking thing on you horrible, trough guzzling , disgusting cunt.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You’ve told them to sign up to Don’t Pay. 

As I type this a spokesperson for Which is saying it’s a bad idea for all the reasons I’ve said.   

You know literally fuck all about this.  

I've not told anyone to do anything.

I mentioned that if people want to protest, putting their names to this (Don't Pay) is an option. I've certainly not told anyone to cancel their direct debit. Clearly there are big ramifications in doing that, which I understand. I've been through all sorts of shit with direct debits & credit scores in the past & worked in banking for around nine years.

Your last sentence is little incoherent given the complex nature of what we're discussing so I'll refrain from commenting on that.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've not told anyone to do anything.

I mentioned that if people want to protest, putting their names to this (Don't Pay) is an option. I've certainly not told anyone to cancel their direct debit. Clearly there are big ramifications in doing that, which I understand. I've been through all sorts of shit with direct debits & credit scores in the past & worked in banking for around nine years.

Your last sentence is little incoherent given the complex nature of what we're discussing so I'll refrain from commenting on that.

Signing up for Don’t Pay is signing up to cancel the fucking DD. 

I’ve worked in energy for 26 years. 

Back in the real world rather than an Arthur C Clarke novel we are about to start a project to import solar elec from Morocco via an undersea cable. The Sahara (despite the revelation that the sun only shines during the day) could harvest enough energy to power the world. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

They’re eating themselves. These past 12 years have seen the worst Governments in our entire history. Evil, incompetent, cruel, duplicitous, vain, corrupt, they’ve had it all in spades……cut back on usage indeed, most will be unable to turn the fucking thing on you horrible, trough guzzling , disgusting cunt.

bUt....bUt....bUt....wE aRe aT wAr.....

And yet know one else is paying anything like we are. And we hardly take any gas from Russia. 

The cunts dont care. Let the bodies pile high. Own nothing and be happy. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Back in the real world rather than an Arthur C Clarke novel we are about to start a project to import solar elec from Morocco via an undersea cable. The Sahara (despite the revelation that the sun only shines during the day) could harvest enough energy to power the world. 

This is a thing ?

Just now, House of Dirk said:

Probably more than most if you have worked within the industry for over a quarter of century.

Lets hope its a game changer.

Here’s some info on the project.  

Imagine there being a place where it’s hot all day and windy most nights. But renewables aren’t the answer!  

Partridge is right, we should wait until we colonise Mars and develop the ability to build millions of satellites.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Signing up for Don’t Pay is signing up to cancel the fucking DD. 

In theory, yes but at this stage I have signed up along with another (circa) hundred and twenty five thousand people and no-one has cancelled their direct debit yet because it doesn't take place until October.

19 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

This is a thing ?

He's chatting shite again! Did you see what he did? He just put your possible future energy generation dependency into another continent, 3 or 4000 miles away overseen by fuck knows how many warlords who could make putin look like a thorough nice chap.

That's not to mention having an undersea cable that could be at the mercy of virtually anyone with a submersible and desire to disrupt your leccie.

I mean sticking a solar farm 3000+ miles away so it doesnt detract from the view out your window but fuck the natives who try and eek out a meagre existence in the Sahara, what's not to like?

What does he know? Fuck all because he sits behind a fucking desk all day pretending to be working when logged on here for 8 to 10 hours a day.

But it's your choice whether you want to swallow the company line spouted by a company man who goes off on one because you have a different view.

Sounds like a shithouse cunt to me.

Following on from earlier. I am going to stop the direct debit on the basis that I am petrified of Shell changing the amount themselves and impacting other finances.

Instead, I will set up a standing order for an amount I am able to pay each month. I am exposed to higher pricing but at this stage of the game, its unreachable either way I play it and I am still contributing on what is a reasonable basis.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

He's chatting shite again! Did you see what he did? He just put your possible future energy generation into another continent, 3 or 4000 miles away overseen by fuck knows how many warlords who could make putin look like a thorough nice chap.

That's not to mention having an undersea cable that could be at the mercy of virtually anyone with a submersible and desire to disrupt your leccie.

What does he know? Fuck all because he sit behind a fucking desk all day pretending to be working when logged on here for 8 to 10 hours a day.

But it's your choice whether you want to swallow the company line spouted by a company man who goes off on one because you have a different view.

I'm trying to keep an open mind mate, if I am really honest.

I dont know Rico or any agenda he has. if anyone has 26 years in any field, they are going to know a bit more than the average Joe.

I understand the cynicism around all this though. Yes, our energy in the hand of warlords and the like, but its not as if our government has really been helping us.

This is bigger than all of us. The planet has  finite resources and those resources are squeezed more for whatever reason now and the need for a shift to alternates has increased.

I am trying to be balanced and its difficult when £400 monthly bills are on the cards for everyone. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

He's chatting shite again! Did you see what he did? He just put your possible future energy generation dependency into another continent, 3 or 4000 miles away overseen by fuck knows how many warlords who could make putin look like a thorough nice chap.

I mean sticking a solar farm 3000+ miles away so it doesnt detract from the view out your window but fuck the natives who try and eek out a meagre existence in the Sahara, what's not to like?

What does he know? Fuck all because he sits behind a fucking desk all day pretending to be working when logged on here for 8 to 10 hours a day.

You put it in space.  Around a planet we’ve never landed a single person on, colonising it to the extent that there are mega factories building up to a few billion satellites that haven’t been invented using enough raw materials to gobble up a planet. But I’m the one chatting shit.  It’s truly astounding.