You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

3 hours ago, Champ said:

Should I be submitting meter readings on the 30th before the cap goes up on 1st?

I would and intend doing so because it gives an accurate reading rather than one worked out by the company's algorithm. Bear in mind they may bill you on submitting a read, as Octopus does. I just make a one off payment when they do to keep my account upto date.

On 21/09/2022 at 21:05, MegadriveMan said:

I've genuinely heard a number of people say that if the price cap is set at 2.5k then does that mean that they should just leave the heating on all day to get their moneys worth?!

Britains Prime Minister says hello,

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Told you.  

You certainly did Rico. As Stronts has said you'd have to be stupid to believe you could burn unlimited amounts of energy because you're protected by the gap but when you've got the Prime Minister being as clear as mud a lot of unfortunate people coukd get into unnecessary trouble.

It's irresponsible.

7 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I can’t believe people get confused with this but they really do, lots of them

People are stupid and will often take the most positive spin to make themselves feel better.  

But the messaging hasn’t been as clear as it should be.  If an idiot like me can see what would happen you can only assume it’s deliberate.  

The massive swings in interest rates are also going to impact on standing charges in the near future.  We are pricing deals at the moment based on interest rates 4x what they were a month ago and having to buy expensive hedges.  I don’t think it’s enough to send energy companies under but erodes at profitability again.  

For those more knowledgeable on these subjects, would you expect your daily gas bill to be the same each day, even if you use more of less (Obviously not massively more or less).

The reason i ask is that i was looking on my bulb account and they seem to have charged me £2.80 for my gas each day. We dont have the gas on at set times or anything which could possibly explain it. It just seems odd that its exactly the same each day, unless im missing something. Even at the weekend, it said we paid the same each day for gas, even though we were in Liverpool all day on one of the days. 

The electric seems find and is much more in line with what i would expect and did indeed have a big dip on Sunday when we were in Liverpool.

58 minutes ago, John102 said:

For those more knowledgeable on these subjects, would you expect your daily gas bill to be the same each day, even if you use more of less (Obviously not massively more or less).

The reason i ask is that i was looking on my bulb account and they seem to have charged me £2.80 for my gas each day. We dont have the gas on at set times or anything which could possibly explain it. It just seems odd that its exactly the same each day, unless im missing something. Even at the weekend, it said we paid the same each day for gas, even though we were in Liverpool all day on one of the days. 

The electric seems find and is much more in line with what i would expect and did indeed have a big dip on Sunday when we were in Liverpool.

The suppliers tend to smooth out your annual gas and leccie consumption based on previous 12 months usage to work out your monthly Direct Debit.

We tend to use a lot more gas or leccie during the winter depending which you use for heating etc. This means you would be facing far bigger bills during this period than you would during summer and warmer months.

The supplier will therefore calculate your annual consumption and divide by 12 to give a monthly cost. They then tend to add a bit more to this to give your monthly DD amount. Effectively, if you divided this amount by 30 / 31, it would give you an average 'daily' cost.

If you regularly start using more gas and leccie than covered by your DD, your supplier will generally contact you to discuss increasing it to cover the extra consumption.

Bulb are in special measures having effectively gone bankrupt and now supported by Government. Seems a bit strange that your leccie costs can vary while your gas seems constant. Is your heating gas or leccie based?

Also note, Energy UK, the energy industry trade association, say people should submit meter reads before 1 October. So, there's no blaming Martin Lewis or anyone else if supplier's systems cannot handle the submissions.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Do you have a smart meter, and if you do, do you know if it’s sending reads?  

If you don’t, or it’s not communicating, it looks like your supplier has just smoothed usage over the billing period. So you’ve used  about £252 worth of energy divided over a 90 billing period = £2.80

• Downvote 1

Earlier on today Radio 5 had a segment advising people about making chimneys safe should they light fires, need for chimney sweeping and linings. Sadly this is where we are headed those most in need will take risks and some will probably get injured, die or burn their house down.

The PM continues to properly explain to people it’s not a cap, a limit, a maximum… but just an average and that the more you use the more you pay. 

on LBC a caller saying he might be missing something but if you can only pay upto £2,500 why this is applied and doesn’t effect those with bigger houses 

It shouldn’t be hard to explain without political favour that more you use the more you will be charged and if you need to here’s how to make sensible energy usage cuts.

Britain in 2022, what a complete mess. Talking to the missus last night if the Tories get re-elected we’re out of here.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Doesnt help when enery suppliers themselves kept calling it a 'price cap' as well.

That’s because it is a fucking price cap you daft bastard.  It’s NOT a bill cap.  

The price of the unit is capped, the amount of units you use isn’t.  

12 hours ago, SasaS said:

enery support.png

Maybe counties such as France don't need to give so much aid as they've stopped their energy companies passing on huge rises?

Plus other countries are raising benefits/minimum wage and slashing travel costs so negating the need for so much 'direct' support perhaps?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/61522123

A chart on the impact of the cost of living increases.

20 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The suppliers tend to smooth out your annual gas and leccie consumption based on previous 12 months usage to work out your monthly Direct Debit.

We tend to use a lot more gas or leccie during the winter depending which you use for heating etc. This means you would be facing far bigger bills during this period than you would during summer and warmer months.

The supplier will therefore calculate your annual consumption and divide by 12 to give a monthly cost. They then tend to add a bit more to this to give your monthly DD amount. Effectively, if you divided this amount by 30 / 31, it would give you an average 'daily' cost.

If you regularly start using more gas and leccie than covered by your DD, your supplier will generally contact you to discuss increasing it to cover the extra consumption.

Bulb are in special measures having effectively gone bankrupt and now supported by Government. Seems a bit strange that your leccie costs can vary while your gas seems constant. Is your heating gas or leccie based?

Also note, Energy UK, the energy industry trade association, say people should submit meter reads before 1 October. So, there's no blaming Martin Lewis or anyone else if supplier's systems cannot handle the submissions.

Here’s Martin Lewis telling you not to phone up today.  

Remember everyone DS knows fuck all about all this stuff, he likes trying to score points off me which is like water off a ducks back but he’s giving bad advice that could cost you money.   

Telegraph now running with the tax cuts will be paid for from benefits, which will not rise in accordance with inflation but be capped at just over 5%.

This means that the poorest in society face rising fuel bills, rising general cost of living, and will see an effective reduction in their available funds.

Rich people will get a nice £50k bonus.

Its like a reality TV show in which a section of society get the involuntary experience of what it was like to live in the east end of London under Queen Victoria.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Telegraph now running with the tax cuts will be paid for from benefits, which will not rise in accordance with inflation but be capped at just over 5%.

This means that the poorest in society face rising fuel bills, rising general cost of living, and will see an effective reduction in their available funds.

Rich people will get a nice £50k bonus.

Its like a reality TV show in which a section of society get the involuntary experience of what it was like to live in the east end of London under Queen Victoria.

Youre not looking at the bigger picture. It'll all be worth because it'll stop high flyers in places like Burnley fucking off to work in Singapore.

Over from Turkey and boy are we feeling the cold. Guessing most families here are like mine heating not going on? 

This country is fucked, how the fuck are the less well off going to survive this winter? I would expect more depression and suicides unless something drastically changes.

How did the voters get fooled by these gobshites? 

25 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Over from Turkey and boy are we feeling the cold. Guessing most families here are like mine heating not going on? 

This country is fucked, how the fuck are the less well off going to survive this winter? I would expect more depression and suicides unless something drastically changes.

How did the voters get fooled by these gobshites? 

Because a lot of the electorate actually like the gobshite behaviour as long as it isnt done to them.

• Upvote 1