You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

Can't wait to work overtime to pay energy bills to heat and light a house I'll be spending less time in. 

Throw in increases in mortgage payments and I'll be doing even more overtime to pay for a house I'll be spending less time in.

Of course, it's the Conservative dream - working class people working seven days a week, emptying most of their wage slips into the pockets of their private school mates. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

If it was doable, I'm pretty sure it would already have been done. I'm no scientist or engineer but there's good reasons why stuff don't get built in the Sahara.

Imagine being an on-call engineer when there's a fault.

"Generator 2B is down, you need to go and solve the issue."

"Sound, where is it?"

"Just keep going until you see the mirage, then turn right."

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Imagine being an on-call engineer when there's a fault.

"Generator 2B is down, you need to go and solve the issue."

"Sound, where is it?"

"Just keep going until you see the mirage, then turn right."

Imagine the cost of it all. And then the cost of laying the cable to the UK. Would be cheaper to build here and also use wave energy which we have a plentiful supply, but no let's go quantum of solace on this muthafucka.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

If it was doable, I'm pretty sure it would already have been done. I'm no scientist or engineer but there's good reasons why stuff don't get built in the Sahara.

Not really.  Solar tech has moved on massively, as has cabling, they have the private investment and a will to do it.   Make this work and it opens up the world.   

1 minute ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Imagine the cost of it all. And then the cost of laying the cable to the UK. Would be cheaper to build here and also use wave energy which we have a plentiful supply, but no let's go quantum of solace on this muthafucka.

Did you read the article?  

1 hour ago, House of Dirk said:

I'm trying to keep an open mind mate, if I am really honest.

I dont know Rico or any agenda he has. if anyone has 26 years in any field, they are going to know a bit more than the average Joe.

I understand the cynicism around all this though. Yes, our energy in the hand of warlords and the like, but its not as if our government has really been helping us.

This is bigger than all of us. The planet has  finite resources and those resources are squeezed more for whatever reason now and the need for a shift to alternates has increased.

I am trying to be balanced and its difficult when £400 monthly bills are on the cards for everyone. 

Rico also voted for the tories so he's complicit in all this.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Again, the government (or authorities) won’t have to do anything.  The energy companies will fold as they’ll have no cash flow.  The generators won’t sell them any energy. You’ll get thousands of people unemployed and three energy suppliers (BG, Shell and one of Ovo or Octopus). The costs of the failed companies will be passed on to customers and the standing charges will go through the roof. 

I doubt the gov are going to sit around watching the energy companies folding. Ah unless you mean smaller ones so that the biggest take over their customers or something, making their power even more concentrated. Yeah maybe the Tories would be ok with that.