You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mo vs Klopp - Mexican standoff on mount Olympus

Horus

With the news today that Egypt have included him in their squad, is there a danger that if he goes and plays in this, added on to the mid-season AFCoN, that the club might view this as a final straw? He's barely had a break for a few years, and this will mean he's returning late to training and may well miss the first couple of weeks of the season. 

Jurgen is fighting to get rest for his players at every opportunity, so would this be viewed as a bit of a kick in the balls? There are some excellent players that look like being available this summer, so would Klopp be correct if he felt missing 2 months in a season was a bridge too far, and he decided to make a change? 

It is absolutely ridiculous that he and the club are being put in the positions they are with the olympics and AFCON.

It puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

The whole thing has got out of hand now and i supsect a real battle is about to start between clubs, FIFA and national associations.

17 minutes ago, Grinch said:

There's fuck all players or clubs can do about international shite. 

One of the reasons why Klopp was so adamant about our break. 

As it becomes more invasive for the clubs and their extremely highly paid employees I suspect there will be moves to 'do something'

If you owned a business would you just let your key employees swan off working for someone else during your time?

As the club that employs them to lose control over their training, fitness, conditioning and recovery while they are unavailable for the normal breaks is bad enough, this is just amping it up.

In Salah, we'll have an asset worth £150m, that costs around £10m per year, that we can't use due to 2 international tournaments in the space of 4 or 5 months.

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

Along with a few other sports like Golf and Tennis it shouldn't even be at the Olympics 

Agree with that. The Olympics should be restricted to amateur sports and other sports where winning the Olympics is seen as the pinnacle of achievement. 

• Upvote 1

Im not sure there are any amatuer sports in the Olympics nowadays. You might get some amatuers competing in every discipline but, most if not all the medal winners will be on some form or sponsorship, full or part time.

It is disappointing news from our perspective but I can also understand a player wanting to represent their country. I still dont buy this argument that the top clubs in the world, mainly but not limited to Europe, are not powerful enough to get together and put a stop or some form of restriction on their employees turning out in all these international competitions year after year after year.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. Cant blame him at all. I still don't think he will be here next season anyway. 

Where do you think he will go Real want Mbappe and spent a fortune on Hazard. Barcelona have got Griezman, Messi and seen to want Neymar back.

Can't see him going Juventus or PSG, so I would be surprised if he is gone next season?

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Where do you think he will go Real want Mbappe and spent a fortune on Hazard. Barcelona have got Griezman, Messi and seen to want Neymar back.

Can't see him going Juventus or PSG, so I would be surprised if he is gone next season?

I don't know mate. I've just got a feeling. Without a doubt we are the side to be at now and hopefully will be for the next few years but I've just got a feeling Salah or Mane will be off. We won't lose both but if a crazy bid came in for either and they wanted to go then I could see us taking it if it meant we brought in say Sancho and Werner. 

Obviously we should keep them and sign Mbappe and just continue to dismantle the football world like the Coronorvirus on acid. 

All I know all I know is Klopp will save the day. My oh myyyy eeeehhh you got be bad you gotta be bold you gotta be wiser.