You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And those players improved on klopps watch. It's absolutely no coincidence. And if you think it is, we should sack him and just let Edwards make a spreadsheet to pick the team. 

I don’t think it is a coincidence, but both things could be true and on this case they are. Certainly more feasible than calling both Bayern and Liverpool current squads “shite“. Where do you think we would finish if we were managed by another good manager... let’s say Pochettino or Hansi Flick?

19 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

While I like Wijnaldum and he is brilliant at his job in that role I think there is a lot in it when it comes to an upgrade to Thiago. Granted he might not be able to do the same defensively, but in that midfielder role he has been the best performer for years now. I honestly think the guys up top would benefit massively and he would give this team another edge in keeping possession at pivotal moments in games. They guy is world class.

Thiago was the best on ground in the anchor role in the final, with Goretzka given more of a license to roam. He’d be absolutely fine alongside Hendo and Fabinho. 

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think it is a coincidence, but both things could be true and on this case they are. Certainly more feasible than calling both Bayern and Liverpool current squads “shite“. Where do you think we would finish if we were managed by another good manager... let’s say Pochettino?

We wouldn’t be winning the league. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think it is a coincidence, but both things could be true and on this case they are. Certainly more feasible than calling both Bayern and Liverpool current squads “shite“. Where do you think we would finish if we were managed by another good manager... let’s say Pochettino?

Bayern we're shite at the start of this season. 

We were shite when klopp joined. And actually I said he's taken a bunch of top 4 quality players to champions. 

We wouldn't have won a carrot under pochettino with this group of players, assuming pochettino had been our manager from when Rodgers was fired. 

21 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

While I like Wijnaldum and he is brilliant at his job in that role I think there is a lot in it when it comes to an upgrade to Thiago. Granted he might not be able to do the same defensively, but in that midfielder role he has been the best performer for years now. I honestly think the guys up top would benefit massively and he would give this team another edge in keeping possession at pivotal moments in games. They guy is world class.

I think Thiago if he signs for us will be brilliant. He is a great player. 

My big concern is that it's almost one in one out and I worry about the squad depth, especially in attack. Good to see Minamino score last weekend so hopefully he can kick on now because there is a player there

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

It has to be bonuses. When is the last time you heard a peak out of the dressing room regarding pay? Even Gini who appears to be on shit pay (relatively speaking) hasn't piped up. There is no way these lads are making less than what Man Utd players are earning. With the exception of a couple of Barca and PSG players I would say their pay stacks up well against anyone.

A bit more colour from the accounts I've just glanced at... So wages are 276m, as the 310 includes pensions and NI. 

Screenshot_20200902-103617.jpg

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Bayern we're shite at the start of this season. 

We were shite when klopp joined. And actually I said he's taken a bunch of top 4 quality players to champions. 

We wouldn't have won a carrot under pochettino with this group of players, assuming pochettino had been our manager from when Rodgers was fired. 

You actually said we probably would have finished outside of top 4 with this bunch of players. I don’t see it. 

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I think Thiago if he signs for us will be brilliant. He is a great player. 

My big concern is that it's almost one in one out and I worry about the squad depth, especially in attack. Good to see Minamino score last weekend so hopefully he can kick on now because there is a player there

Spot on, the danger is that injury  for 3-4 months to a key player.  While i think we could get by in midfield and even to a certain degree upfront, the loss of VVD would be massive for any length of time. I have no doubt Gomez with Matip would be a decent partnership, but cant rely on the latter for fitness so that just leaves the Fabinho option which against pace would be an issue. You can rattle off some ok centre halves like Dunk for example but how many really want to be 3rd/4th choice.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

That was also a straight quote from your post Barry.

And why didn't you quote the full paragraph? Because you were determined to spoil the context. 

Would they be 4th place now without him, probably not, but who knows? I feel pretty certain this group players wouldn't have won a league without him. And that's not to give the players no credit, they've been on the journey with him and needed to improve their games massively to get where they are, but it's klopps genius that has made them the champions

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And why didn't you quote the full paragraph? Because you were determined to spoil the context. 

Would they be 4th place now without him, probably not, but who knows? I feel pretty certain this group players wouldn't have won a league without him. And that's not to give the players no credit, they've been on the journey with him and needed to improve their games massively to get where they are, but it's klopps genius that has made them the champions

I just think you’re being too harsh on the players. Last year we had easily the best squad in the league. For all City’s wealth of talent up front; they only had one good full back and one good centre half at the back. Our back up centre halfs would’ve probably started for any other team in the league for example. Your method of assessing individual players I found too harsh, and as demonstrated, you could easily apply the same exercise to the european champions.

Also if Klopp had his way we would’ve had Götze and Brandt alongside Bobby! I remember this because I really wanted to sign Götze over Mane at the time. 

46 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Would seem pretty tough to align the numbers still. Fsg (Werner I think) has talked before about players are heavily incentivised on initial contracts and if they succeed they get more on the basic in the 2nd contract. How many of those players are in their 1st contract? Can't be many. 

Doubt it covers everything, but even if it's been downgraded for a lot of them, it'll be a significant chunk.

Speculating anyway, personally I'm getting a bit irritated by the possibility that we're potentially going to lose one of our hardest grafters for less than he's worth. Shouldn't be needed and we should be willing to make a few moves to refresh and bring respite to a very hard working squad regardless of outgoings.

Pre-Covid I was expecting us to drop off quite a bit this season, then we had the break and I was hoping that might help us out in giving an extended break. But now it feels like we're just expecting them to churn out the same results with 2/3 games a week all season. Mentally that's a big, big ask. Unrealistic really.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I just think you’re being too harsh on the players. Last year we had easily the best squad in the league. Our back up centre halfs would’ve probably started for any other team in the league for example. Your method of assessing individual players I found too harsh, and as demonstrated, you could easily apply the same exercise to the european champions.

Also if Klopp had his way we would’ve had Götze and Brandt alongside Bobby! I remember this because I really wanted to sign Götze over Mane at the time. 

They're the players they are because of how klopp has pushed them on. I'll spin it another way for you. If Salah had joined Potch at spurs, do you think he'd be top scorer in the league 2 in 3 years? Do you think Trent and robbo would be the best 2 full backs in the league had poch managed them? Do you think poch would have been smart enough to take a player like firmino and make him into the false 9 that he is? Would he have taken a number 10 like Gini and made him into the leading midfielder at the club? Do you think henderson would have become player of the year? Do you think he'd have taken an inconsistent mane to 4th in balon d'Or? 

If you think the answer is yes to any of those questions, you've no clue how fucking brilliant klopp is and how lucky we are to have him. And how lucky the players are to play for him. As I said in that paragraph where you selected only the words you wanted, that is not to give the players no credit. They have to have the character and ability to respond, but he ensures they'll be the best player they can be. But if you think it's pure coincidence the trajectory these players have been on, they'd have got there anyway, well as I say, let's save the 10m per year we pay klopp and get a spreadsheet to do his job or maybe you could do it? My view is klopp took over a team that had been behind spurs for a number of years. Spending net a not too dissimilar amount in player transfers, one got sacked and the other is manager of the year having won the major gongs. And he's not just achieved here, he won the league in Germany too. 

I find it astonishing anyone who's been on our journey over the last 30 years cannot see how fucking amazing klopp is. 

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Spot on, the danger is that injury  for 3-4 months to a key player.  While i think we could get by in midfield and even to a certain degree upfront, the loss of VVD would be massive for any length of time. I have no doubt Gomez with Matip would be a decent partnership, but cant rely on the latter for fitness so that just leaves the Fabinho option which against pace would be an issue. You can rattle off some ok centre halves like Dunk for example but how many really want to be 3rd/4th choice.

Virgil would be a seismic loss alright. The thought of Sadio being out for say 6 months would fill me with dread though.

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're the players they are because of how klopp has pushed them on. I'll spin it another way for you. If Salah had joined Potch at spurs, do you think he'd be top scorer in the league 2 in 3 years? Do you think Trent and robbo would be the best 2 full backs in the league had poch managed them? Do you think poch would have been smart enough to take a player like firmino and make him into the false 9 that he is? Would he have taken a number 10 like Gini and made him into the leading midfielder at the club? Do you think henderson would have become player of the year? Do you think he'd have taken an inconsistent mane to 4th in balon d'Or? 

If you think the answer is yes to any of those questions, you've no clue how fucking brilliant klopp is and how lucky we are to have him. And how lucky the players are to play for him. As I said in that paragraph where you selected only the words you wanted, that is not to give the players no credit. They have to have the character and ability to respond, but he ensures they'll be the best player they can be. But if you think it's pure coincidence the trajectory these players have been on, they'd have got there anyway, well as I say, let's save the 10m per year we pay klopp and get a spreadsheet to do his job or maybe you could do it? My view is klopp took over a team that had been behind spurs for a number of years. Spending net a not too dissimilar amount in player transfers, one got sacked and the other is manager of the year having won the major gongs. And he's not just achieved here, he won the league in Germany too. 

I find it astonishing anyone who's been on our journey over the last 30 years cannot see how fucking amazing klopp is. 

Obviously I think Klopp is brilliant, he’s the best manager in the world. Where we disagree is that I think we have a very good squad too. A good manager like Pep or Pochettino would probably have taken us close last year.

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Obviously I think Klopp is brilliant, he’s the best manager in the world. Where we disagree is that I think we have a very good squad too. A good manager like Pep or Pochettino would probably have taken us close last year.

Pep!!!

Are you kidding me!! That penis needs a billion quid worth of FBs before he can create a good team.

Poch has potential but not in same league as Klopp. You should write a long letter of apology to the entire forum with respect to that other thing! Barca, Bayern, City...let him take over from Ancelotti at Everton then we will see how good he is!! He would never do it though i.e take the risk with inferior players!!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's a two-way street. The players we've bought have been bought for a reason, they fit Klopp's style of football, therefore their talents have been magnified. But it's not a given that clubs are able get players who fit the system of the manager so well.

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a two-way street. The players we've bought have been bought for a reason, they fit Klopp's style of football, therefore their talents have been magnified. But it's not a given that clubs are able get players who fit the system of the manager so well.

well you see we have the same recruitment lead as when klopp joined. edwards wasn't so smart at finding players who suited his manager prior to October 2015. it's worked when klopp joined. klopp has also been able to get a tune out of some of the players in the squad who he inherited - firmino, milner and henderson have been crucial. Gomez and Lovren have played important parts. In fact in the dressing room Lallana would have also have seemed important. So if you mean klopp is also really good at knowing which players to take and not take from the recruitment team, you're dead right. and do you know why that is? Because klopp is fucking brilliant. When klopp arrived here, we were a mediocre team and less than mediocre recruitment - but klopp raises the level of everybody around him. 

These are the players that came in during the 3 years prior to klopp joining (which iirc is when edwards promoted after comolli was fired). Now if you think Klopp has not had a major impact on the quality of our recruitment, good for you. I would suggest we didn't have a fucking clue what we were doing before klopp arrived and this list of players below shows that. 

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee
22 June 2013 AM 6 Spain Luis Alberto Spain Sevilla £6,800,000[20]
23 June 2013 FW 9 Spain Iago Aspas Spain Celta Vigo £7,000,000[21]
27 June 2013 GK 22 Belgium Simon Mignolet England Sunderland £9,000,000[22]
2 July 2013 CB 4 Ivory Coast Kolo Touré England Manchester City Free[23]
2 September 2013 CB 26 Portugal Tiago Ilori Portugal Sporting CP £7,000,000[24]
2 September 2013 CB 17 France Mamadou Sakho France Paris Saint Germain £15,000,000[25]

Loans in[edit]

Start date End date Position No. Player From club
20 August 2013 31 May 2014 LB 20 France Aly Cissokho Spain Valencia[26]
2 September 2013 31 May 2014 LW 12 Nigeria Victor Moses

England Chelsea[27]

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee Ref
1 July 2014 FW 9 England Rickie Lambert England Southampton £4,000,000 [3]
1 July 2014 MF 20 England Adam Lallana England Southampton £25,000,000 [4]
3 July 2014 MF 23 Germany Emre Can Germany Bayer Leverkusen £10,000,000 [5]
15 July 2014 MF 50 Serbia Lazar Marković Portugal Benfica £20,000,000 [6]
27 July 2014 DF 6 Croatia Dejan Lovren England Southampton £20,000,000 [7]
29 July 2014 FW Belgium Divock Origi France Lille £10,000,000 [8]
16 August 2014 DF 18 Spain Alberto Moreno Spain Sevilla £12,000,000 [9]
25 August 2014 FW 45 Italy Mario Balotelli Italy Milan £16,000,000 [10]
Total transfer spending £117,000,000

Loans in[edit]

Start date End date Position No. Player From club Ref
6 August 2014 31 May 2016 DF 19 Spain Javier Manquillo Spain Atlético Madrid [11]

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee Ref.
20 June 2015 CB 12 England Joe Gomez England Charlton Athletic £3,500,000 [95]
1 July 2015 RM 7 England James Milner England Manchester City Free [96]
1 July 2015 FW 28 England Danny Ings England Burnley £6,500,000[A] [97]
1 July 2015 GK 34 Hungary Ádám Bogdán England Bolton Wanderers Free [98]
1 July 2015 AM 11 Brazil Roberto Firmino Germany 1899 Hoffenheim £21,300,000 [99]
1 July 2015 RB 2 England Nathaniel Clyne England Southampton £10,000,000[C] [100]
22 July 2015 FW 9 Belgium Christian Benteke England Aston Villa £32,500,000 [101]

Total £73,800,000