You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

LBC had callers from other countries describing their government’s reaction/measures. We fucked it right up from the start.  One caller from the NHS said it was entirely possible to lockdown and maintain other medical appointments and procedure.  We just fucked that up too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Why?

Mental health issues

Physical health issues

Damage to the economy and all the knock on affects

I would like to know if there is a cost which is acceptable. You know, is there a line somewhere in the sand, where someone says enough is enough?

By protecting the lives of the vulnerable in the fashion we are, we are creating many more vulnerable and we are killing other people who could have been saved.

It's madness to think we can carry on like this in perpetuity.

I suppose as the inevitable redundancies happen, people will gradually start to wake up to the damage the current actions are going to cause.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Perpetuity in motion tralalala

That covid test is horrible. Only done the home one but made sure I got right back to my tonsils and right up my nose till it hurt. 

Surely it's not the first time you've shoved some shit up your nose?

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Mental health issues

Physical health issues

I would like to know if there is a cost which is acceptable. You know, is there a line somewhere in the sand, where someone says enough is enough?

By protecting the lives of the vulnerable in the fashion we are, we are creating many more vulnerable and we are killing other people who could have been saved.

I suppose as the inevitable redundancies happen, people will gradually start to wake up to the damage the current actions are going to cause.

I genuinely think there have been mathematical models that predicted how all this would unfold from March onwards. 

They knew the lockdown would bring the count down, then saw summer as a way to get the economy going a bit, hence eat out to help out, holidays abroad etc, but even before that I reckon they knew that would all result in the current spike.

I reckon what they're doing now (and I reckon a two week half term full lockdown is nailed on) is designed to get the rates down in time for Christmas. 

The optimistic view of why they're doing that is to get us through flu season, buy some more time for a vaccine (even  the WHO - who are usually doomsayers - said this week they believe there will likely be one by the end of THIS year, in some capacity). 

The cynical and more likely view, is that Boris good old Boris wants to take the breaks off in time for Chritmas for some 'Boris saves Christmas' type headlines. Pics of him dressed as Father Christmas with a syringe and a nan sticking out of his sack etc. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I genuinely think there have been mathematical models that predicted how all this would unfold from March onwards. 

They knew the lockdown would bring the count down, then saw summer as a way to get the economy going a bit, hence eat out to help out, holidays abroad etc, but even before that I reckon they knew that would all result in the current spike.

I reckon what they're doing now (and I reckon a two week half term full lockdown is nailed on) is designed to get the rates down in time for Christmas. 

The optimistic view of why they're doing that is to get us through flu season, buy some more time for a vaccine (even  the WHO - who are usually doomsayers - said this week they believe there will likely be one by the end of THIS year, in some capacity). 

The cynical and more likely view, is that Boris good old Boris wants to take the breaks off in time for Chritmas for some 'Boris saves Christmas' type headlines. Pics of him dressed as Father Christmas with a syringe and a nan sticking out of his sack etc. 

They’ll want people out spending in the

run-up to Christmas.

27 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Mental health issues

Physical health issues

What’s your proposal then mate? Herd immunity?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

What’s your proposal then mate? Herd immunity?

Call it what you like... protect the vulnerable as best as we can, but consider things holistically. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

Click link to read full article

Coronavirus: Health experts join global anti-lockdown movement

Thousands of scientists and health experts have joined a global movement warning of "grave concerns" about Covid-19 lockdown policies.

Nearly 6,000 experts, including dozens from the UK, say the approach is having a devastating impact on physical and mental health as well as society.

They are calling for protection to be focused on the vulnerable, while healthy people get on with their lives.

The declaration has prompted warnings by others in the scientific community.

Critics have pointed out:

• a more targeted approach could make it difficult to protect vulnerable people entirely
  • the risk of long-term complications from coronavirus mean many others are also at risk

But the movement - known as the Great Barrington Declaration - mirrors some of the warnings in a letter signed by a group of GPs in the UK.

Sixty-six GPs, including TV doctors Dr Phil Hammond and Dr Rosemary Leonard and a number of medics who have held senior roles at the British Medical Association, have written to the health secretary, saying there is insufficient emphasis on "non-Covid harms" in the decision-making.

What is the Great Barrington Declaration?

The movement started in the US.

And the declaration has now been signed by nearly 6,000 scientists and medical experts across the globe as well as 50,000 members of the public.

The UK-based experts who have signed it include:

• Dr Sunetra Gupta, an epidemiologist at Oxford University
  • Nottingham University self-harm expert Prof Ellen Townsend
  • Edinburgh University disease modeller Dr Paul McKeigue

They say keeping the lockdown policies in place until a vaccine is available would cause "irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed".

The health harms cited include:

• lower childhood vaccination rates
  • worsening care for heart disease and cancer patients

And they point out the risk from coronavirus is 1,000 times greater for the old and infirm, with children more at risk from flu than Covid-19.

1 hour ago, Chocoholic said:

Knockout blow for Tory Bellend

IN fairness, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it does make perfect sense to change your mind as you become more informed about the actual state of play. I thought 5 on 100 people were going to die at first, I thought we had a very genuine threat to everybody... so yes, stay home protect the NHS. Now we are not even pretending to protect the NHS, I'm not sure anybody actually really knows what the goal is here? What are we trying to achieve?

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Call it what you like... protect the vulnerable as best as we can, but consider things holistically. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

Click link to read full article

Coronavirus: Health experts join global anti-lockdown movement

Thousands of scientists and health experts have joined a global movement warning of "grave concerns" about Covid-19 lockdown policies.

Nearly 6,000 experts, including dozens from the UK, say the approach is having a devastating impact on physical and mental health as well as society.

They are calling for protection to be focused on the vulnerable, while healthy people get on with their lives.

The declaration has prompted warnings by others in the scientific community.

Critics have pointed out:

• a more targeted approach could make it difficult to protect vulnerable people entirely
  • the risk of long-term complications from coronavirus mean many others are also at risk

But the movement - known as the Great Barrington Declaration - mirrors some of the warnings in a letter signed by a group of GPs in the UK.

Sixty-six GPs, including TV doctors Dr Phil Hammond and Dr Rosemary Leonard and a number of medics who have held senior roles at the British Medical Association, have written to the health secretary, saying there is insufficient emphasis on "non-Covid harms" in the decision-making.

What is the Great Barrington Declaration?

The movement started in the US.

And the declaration has now been signed by nearly 6,000 scientists and medical experts across the globe as well as 50,000 members of the public.

The UK-based experts who have signed it include:

• Dr Sunetra Gupta, an epidemiologist at Oxford University
  • Nottingham University self-harm expert Prof Ellen Townsend
  • Edinburgh University disease modeller Dr Paul McKeigue

They say keeping the lockdown policies in place until a vaccine is available would cause "irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed".

The health harms cited include:

• lower childhood vaccination rates
  • worsening care for heart disease and cancer patients

And they point out the risk from coronavirus is 1,000 times greater for the old and infirm, with children more at risk from flu than Covid-19.

A simple “yes” would suffice mate.

You go and knock yourself out and contract it if you want mate, I want fuck all to do with it having seen what it’s done to relatively healthy people, never mind the vulnerable.

10 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Another undercover scouse Tory exposed. 

We do churn out an incredible number of famous helmets. Saw a show last night advertised called 'John Bishop on Whales'. Like something out of Charlie Brooker's blag TV listings. 

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

A simple “yes” would suffice mate.

You go and knock yourself out and contract it if you want mate, I want fuck all to do with it having seen what it’s done to relatively healthy people, never mind the vulnerable.

I would like the opportunity to decide for myself, and you can still do whatever you want to 'stay safe'.

Guest Alex_K
11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I would like the opportunity to decide for myself, and you can still do whatever you want to 'stay safe'.

Bingo.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

You're very touchy Ian. Have you seen the amount of shit I have taken in here, without being precious.

No mate I don’t read the forums very often, can’t remember the last time I was on here.

I’m not touchy at all, it’s well known that people use speech marks for sarcasm so I was just asking. I could have made an assumption but thought it wise to check.

I think the idea of herd immunity is bonkers.