You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Good article by Tom Whipple in the Times today. He’s a serious science writer, not some headline chasing hack and he reports that there is a recently discovered strain of bird flu in China that has a 60% human mortality rate. It doesn’t transmit between humans very well so far but if it mutates to overcome this, we are all fucked. What made me laugh is that he just mentions this fact in passing, almost as an aside.

ps. I’ve always rated Tom since he said on Fesshole (a site on Twitter) that he’d been to an orgy where they served quarter ham sandwiches at midnight. He didn’t realise that his real name was shown in the tweet.

I'll never dress up as Big Bird ever again. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Good article by Tom Whipple in the Times today. He’s a serious science writer, not some headline chasing hack and he reports that there is a recently discovered strain of bird flu in China that has a 60% human mortality rate. It doesn’t transmit between humans very well so far but if it mutates to overcome this, we are all fucked. What made me laugh is that he just mentions this fact in passing, almost as an aside.

ps. I’ve always rated Tom since he said on Fesshole (a site on Twitter) that he’d been to an orgy where they served quarter ham sandwiches at midnight. He didn’t realise that his real name was shown in the tweet.

A deadly virus coming out of China ? Pull the other one.

Full test has confirmed I’m positive. Will now have to work from home even though I hate working from home.

I have cold like symptoms and bad chest like symptoms, but nothing worse than I normally get at this time of year. Still have my sense of taste and my temperature is low. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets.

• Upvote 19

36 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Full test has confirmed I’m positive. Will now have to work from home even though I hate working from home.

I have cold like symptoms and bad chest like symptoms, but nothing worse than I normally get at this time of year. Still have my sense of taste and my temperature is low. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets.

Get well soon mate 

40 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Get well soon. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Get well soon mate 

Have you recovered from your bout now? 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Get well soon mate.

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Still got a bit of a cough and I’m out of breath far more than I was before. She still can’t smell or taste 

Not great news by any stretch. Have a look into zinc/copper and magnesium supplements, they can help energy levels and smell/taste senses. Zinc and copper should be taken a couple of hours apart.

13 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Still got a bit of a cough and I’m out of breath far more than I was before. She still can’t smell or taste 

That’s a pisser. A girl in our other office experienced the same with taste and smell but both did return, so hopefully this is all just temporary for you.

Just seen something on Sky News where Gary Neville was being interviewed by Sophy Ridge.

He was saying that the government was out of its depth as regards the Coronavirus and likened it to his little stint as a manager where he said he knew that he was out of his depth, it was all a downward spiral so left after 4 months.

I hated him as a player, but you have to admire his honesty. 

Just looking at the timeline Pfizer vaccine. They announced the results on 18th November and we’re due to start vaccinations on Tuesday - a 20 day turnaround.

The Oxford vaccine announced its results on the 23rd. Could vaccinations of that start WC 14/12?

Obviously questions remain about the Oxford ones efficiency & dosage, but given it’s cheaper, easier to store / transport and we already have millions of them produced, you’d hope this could start if not before Xmas, but certainly the very start of 2021.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Just looking at the timeline Pfizer vaccine. They announced the results on 18th November and we’re due to start vaccinations on Tuesday - a 20 day turnaround.

The Oxford vaccine announced its results on the 23rd. Could vaccinations of that start WC 14/12?

Obviously questions remain about the Oxford ones efficiency & dosage, but given it’s cheaper, easier to store / transport and we already have millions of them produced, you’d hope this could start if not before Xmas, but certainly the very start of 2021.

I'd imagine that they'd need to redo the Oxford trial first. At the moment, they have 60-odd% effectiveness for two full doses over all age groups and 90% effectiveness on a half dose/ full dose regime for a small group of under-55s, with no adequate explanation as to why it would be better than the two full doses. I can't see a regulator passing that, especially as the initial shots will be given to over-80s- you can't really give them the half dose/ full dose as there's no evidence it's better than the full ones in that age group. Equally, giving them the 60% effective dosage is pretty shit as you'd end up with over a third without protection.

30 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'd imagine that they'd need to redo the Oxford trial first. At the moment, they have 60-odd% effectiveness for two full doses over all age groups and 90% effectiveness on a half dose/ full dose regime for a small group of under-55s, with no adequate explanation as to why it would be better than the two full doses. I can't see a regulator passing that, especially as the initial shots will be given to over-80s- you can't really give them the half dose/ full dose as there's no evidence it's better than the full ones in that age group. Equally, giving them the 60% effective dosage is pretty shit as you'd end up with over a third without protection.

Well, without full protection. Nobody got severe Covid, I don’t think? I guess that offers some protection. 

27 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not sure. If they can answer, does it work and is it safe, is that all the need to start roll out? Amend doses as we go along. 

I know 60% doesn't seem like much, but as c.20m people are > 55, that’s still 12m people who could have it. 

39 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I got ambulanced nto hospital, full breathing gear, I'm really shitting myself

This virus is a right bloody ballache. Give it what for, CD and come back stronger.