You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but I thought Egypt were just missing an attacking outlet against Uruguay, whilst Saudi Arabia were just shit. Turns out Uruguay were also pretty shit, so I suppose we'll see if they up their game against the hosts. I expect the de facto friendly against the Saudis to help them work the kinks out though.

It's been an interesting first round, none of the favorites have really convinced. Portugal and Spain have probably looked the best, albeit against eachother and I supposed on paper Belgium did what was expected of them but I didn't watch that match so I can't call it.

Unless Putin is running the VAR system personally I don't fancy Russia to progress to the final stages, I think the favourites step in the second round

Salah was clearly not 100%, but Egypt still didn't commit enough numbers forward to give both him and themselves a chance. Russia were better although I still don't think they're that good. So far they've faced the weakest side in the competition thus far, and another who've had to play their star player when half fit and also not engaging their opponents in threatening areas enough. The Russians are as good as through to the next round.

Egypt had a much stronger team between 2006 and 2010, but somehow failed to qualify for those two World Cups despite winning 3 AFCONs in a row in that period. They had a class player called Mohamed Aboutrika who would have shone in South Africa had they not fucked up in qualifying. Once the Arab Spring happened, followed by the dreadful tragedy at a league game in Egypt, football in the country got suspended, stifling the development of young players and drawing to a close the careers of a lot of their best players. Not though, Salah is on a different level to those around him.

Good wins for Japan and Senegal earlier. For all the dubious claims about Niang running back onto the pitch just before scoring, it was Poland who made a mess of the situation themselves. Since leaving Sevilla to move to PSG (then going on loan to West Brom), Krychowiak's form has fallen off a cliff. He might have scored with a fine header today, but he was otherwise woeful. A bit like Schneiderlin (a similarly feted defensive midfielder a few years ago), a move to a big club has showed him up to be a quite ordinary footballer going through a bit of a purple patch for a team with little expectations placed on them to dominate opponents. The Frenchman has since downsized of course by moving to Everton, and Krychowiak looks like he needs to move to a similar level permanently, or play in a slower tempo league.

Senegal still play the typical West African physical game influenced by French coaching and organisation, but they showed a bit more finesse, certainly compared to their last World Cup appearance in which their current manager was captain of the side.

Japan's left winger Inui had a good game, being involved in much of their better attacking play, but he was fucking gash when it came to the final shot - both powderpuff and off target time and time again. Japan eventually made their numerical superiority count but before the second half, it was they who looked like they were down to 10 men.

I actually thought Mo' was quite decent. Standard of Egypt's play was just too low for him to really be at his very best.

I agree with this. They got stuck just repeating the same shite about him not being 100%. Every time the ball went near him he was making things happen. They just didn’t seem to have any gameplan of how to get him in the game.

Before the World Cup I predicted that he would play this formation and they would walk past the shit teams because they could play any formation they fancied and still get through because the players are well better than Tunisia etc. I thought then people would carried away and then as soon as we come up against a big team we are out because the formation wouldn’t work and Walker would get exposed.

I was actually shocked that he made a blunder even against the shit team and nearly cost us the game but in reality the formation led to us not creating anything in the second half. I suppose we will see who is right.

(If we get knocked out by a good team I will try and be fair. I might very well be wrong and it could just be down to getting outplayed by a better team with better players and not the formation or a walker fuck up)

I honestly couldn’t give a shit what has happened with the other teams. I’m on about the England team and it’s specific problems. The other nations are having problems themselves obviously but watch who gets their shit together and who doesn’t.

Tell you what Guesty, that 3511 formation would have worked a treat with the "golden generation". Stick Beckham on the right, with Le Saux or Cole on the left, Terry, Ferdinand and Sol/Carra at the back. Carrick holding with Lampard and Gerrard in the box to box roles. Then Scholes in behind England's Michael Owen or She Ra up front. Shame Eriksen or Cappelo didn't have the nous of Southgate to give it a go.

Tell you what Guesty, that 3511 formation would have worked a treat with the "golden generation". Stick Beckham on the right, with Le Saux or Cole on the left, Terry, Ferdinand and Sol/Carra at the back. Carrick holding with Lampard and Gerrard in the box to box roles. Then Scholes in behind England's Michael Owen or She Ra up front. Shame Eriksen or Cappelo didn't have the nous of Southgate to give it a go.

Do you mean Manchester United and Newcastle legend Michael Owen?

Do you mean Manchester United and Newcastle legend Michael Owen?

To be honest, I started the post using some cack England fan player nicknames, Becks, Lamps, Stevie G, etc. but then deleted them because it wasn't obvious it was a joke, but left England's Michael Owen in there it seems.