You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

I have an implicit bias against women and black people. You can check your own implicit bias by googling Implicit Bias Harvard. This makes it harder for me to enjoy listening to women or watching black people unless they're speaking on something they are genuine experts on like child-bearing and in the case of black people, poverty, like on The Wire. I am trying to overcome these biases because that's the way society is going but it's not easy. I usually switch off instead. There's only so many assaults to the amygdala one can take.

I identify as a black woman. So that explains a lot.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The female ex-footballers working on ITV and BBC as studio pundits have already proven themselves the equal of, and in many cases an improvement on, their male counterparts. Purely and simply by giving a shit and doing a bit of research so they actually know what they're talking about.

In terms of game commentators, yes it is different to hear a female voice describing the action, but if your argument is they lack top flight football experience I would ask who the fuck Tiddly, Pearce and the like ever played for?

Top flight experience may include commentating on the biggest games for many many years.

The female ex-footballers working on ITV and BBC as studio pundits have already proven themselves the equal of, and in many cases an improvement on, their male counterparts. Purely and simply by giving a shit and doing a bit of research so they actually know what they're talking about.

In terms of game commentators, yes it is different to hear a female voice describing the action, but if your argument is they lack top flight football experience I would ask who the fuck Tiddly, Pearce and the like ever played for?

Just talking about that with the lads from the warehouse at work.  We concluded that they're trying too hard to emulate the male commentators rather than "play their own game" as it were. 

There are no women on the pitch and no women officials so why do TV companies feel the need for equality in the studio.

Every bloke I know is watching as many matches as possible. I do not know one woman who is arsed about it. They may be at the end but without bias it is a male dominated sport.

Having said that fucking Neville is back on I'd rather have Sonia from Eastenders do it than him.

I have an implicit bias against women and black people. You can check your own implicit bias by googling Implicit Bias Harvard. This makes it harder for me to enjoy listening to women or watching black people unless they're speaking on something they are genuine experts on like child-bearing and in the case of black people, poverty, like on The Wire. I am trying to overcome these biases because that's the way society is going but it's not easy. I usually switch off instead. There's only so many assaults to the amygdala one can take.

That's bizarre. I honestly never even considered her gender or ethnicity. I just thought, ooh, I wonder if she's any better than the usual dross. And lo and behold, she was! I then spent the next few minutes really enjoying her analysis.

• Upvote 1

Pearce et-al are just as shit for the reason they have little interesting to say the average armchair punt knows already . Women doing the job make it no better for me.  I genuinely would appreciate a no commentary option and just watch the game without some fuckwit distracting me whatever the sex 

• Upvote 1

Pearce et-al are just as shit for the reason they have little interesting to say the average armchair punt knows already . Women doing the job make it no better for me. I genuinely would appreciate a no commentary option and just watch the game without some fuckwit distracting me whatever the sex

In fairness, BBC offers a ‘no commentary’ option on the red button. Just crowd noise