You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Biggest Tech Cunt

Section_31

Biggest Tech Cunt   

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest tech cunt?

• Mark Zuckerberg
    • Elon Musk
    • Bill Gates
    • Steve Jobs (deceased)

40 minutes ago, sir roger said:

If pointed correctly it could potentially be a game-changer in the likes of Alzheimers research, , but will probably end up with me getting whatsapp messages zapped to my brain telling me to kill the local butcher.

image.gif

• Haha 1

Does any of his stuff actually work? I honestly can't figure out why this guy is omnipresent. He wanted to put a 10ft submarine in a cave system with 30cm gaps then called the guy who said it couldn't be done a paedophile.

His driverless cars go on fire and his space ships blow up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Does any of his stuff actually work? I honestly can't figure out why this guy is omnipresent. He wanted to put a 10ft submarine in a cave system with 30cm gaps then called the guy who said it couldn't be done a paedophile.

His driverless cars go on fire and his space ships blow up.

Hes like Alan Sugar, but even more of a cunt

• Upvote 1

Remember a discussion on Ancestry.com/23 and Me types selling data. 

No longer an issue I guess, has lost 98% (!!!!) of its value - Wojcicki qualifies as a Tech Cunt.:

23andMe’s Fall From $6 Billion to Nearly $0

From celebrity ‘spit parties’ to a drop in the bucket: The once-hot DNA-testing company is struggling to profit

https://www.wsj.com/health/healthcare/23andme-anne-wojcicki-healthcare-stock-913468f4

• 2 weeks later...

X Free Speech Absolutist

Social media major X (formerly Twitter) has admitted to taking down accounts and posts related to the ongoing farmers' protests in India.

The site has claimed it took down the pages after the Indian government sent them "executive orders".

The orders were "subject to potential penalties, including imprisonment", X said in a statement, adding that it "disagreed with these actions".

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Muskie needs to concentrate on just plain I - trying to be a wheeler-dealer in this AI stuff is out of his wheel house.  

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/06/tech/openai-elon-musk-emails/index.html

Tuesday night, OpenAI published several of Musk’s emails from the early days of the company that appear to show Musk acknowledging OpenAI needed to make a ton of money to fund the incredible computing resources needed to power its AI ambitions.

In a November 22, 2015, email to CEO Sam Altman, Musk, an OpenAI co-founder, said the company needed to raise much more than $100 million to “avoid sounding hopeless.” Musk suggested a $1 billion funding commitment and promised that he would cover whatever did not get raised.

OpenAI in a blog post Tuesday night said Musk never followed through on his promise, committing $45 million in funding for OpenAI, while other donors raised $90 million. Lawyers for Musk declined to comment on OpenAI’s claims.

• Upvote 1

On 22/02/2024 at 14:59, polymerpunkah said:

X Free Speech Absolutist

Social media major X (formerly Twitter) has admitted to taking down accounts and posts related to the ongoing farmers' protests in India.

The site has claimed it took down the pages after the Indian government sent them "executive orders".

The orders were "subject to potential penalties, including imprisonment", X said in a statement, adding that it "disagreed with these actions".

[X is] blocking access in India to a story by CBC's The Fifth Estate on the alleged contract killing of a Canadian Sikh separatist after the Indian government ordered the social media platform to take that action.

"Indian law obligates X to withhold access to this content in India; however, the content remains available elsewhere," X said in an email to The Fifth Estate.

"We disagree with this action and maintain that freedom of expression should extend to these posts. Following the Indian legal process, we are in current communication with the Indian authorities."

• Upvote 1

The musk, erm, mask contin ues to slip:

Don Lemon said Wednesday that his partnership with Elon Musk went down in flames, hours after the former CNN anchor conducted an interview last week with the erratic billionaire for the debut episode of his new independent web-based show.

“Elon publicly encouraged me to join X with a new show, saying I would have his ‘full support,’” Lemon said in a statement, adding that he took Musk at his word that he was “interested in working directly with diverse voices.”

Lemon said he pressed Musk about the rise in hate speech on X since the billionaire took over the social media platform last year, asking him if he believed that he and the company had a responsibility to moderate hateful content.

“I don’t have to answer questions from reporters, Don,” Musk replied. “The only reason I’m doing this interview is because you’re on the X platform and you asked for it. Otherwise, I would not do this interview.”

“Throughout our conversation I kept reiterating to him, although it was tense at times, I thought it was good for people to see our exchange,” Lemon said. “But apparently free speech absolutism doesn’t apply when it comes to questions about him from people like me.”

“His approach was basically just ‘CNN, but on social media’, which doesn’t work, as evidenced by the fact that CNN is dying,” Musk wrote. “And, instead of it being the real Don Lemon, it was really just [former CNN chief] Jeff Zucker talking through Don, so lacked authenticity.”

But a spokesperson for Lemon told CNN that the media personality expects Musk to honor the financial terms of the agreement.

“Don has a deal with X and expects to be paid for it,” the spokesperson said. “If we have to go to court we will.”

Excellent source on what’s going on in tech is 404media.

Read two excellent articles. One on using third world labour to get paid on TikTok and Insta, the other (with pod) on manipulating algorithms to put out shite but profitable content.

https://www.404media.co/email/859d66c7-c3cd-4e28-9af9-cd064e20e216/?ref=daily-stories-newsletter

https://www.404media.co/404-media-podcast-28-ai-powered-tiktok-hustlers/

US is threatening to ban TikTok in the news today. 

2 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

US is threatening to ban TikTok in the news today. 

Former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday he’s assembling a team of investors to make a bid to buy TikTok.

This comes a day after the House passed a measure to ban the Chinese owned social media giant or force a sale to a US-operated owner.

“It’s a great business and I’m going to put together a group to buy TikTok,” Mnuchin told CNBC Thursday morning. Even though TikTok is likely unprofitable, “it’s worth a lot of money,” he added.

Steven Mnuchin - part of the Cabinet of Donald Trump from 2017 to 2021. Serving for a full presidential term, Mnuchin was one of the few high-profile members of Trump's cabinet whom the president did not dismiss.

For Mnuchin, politics are transactional. A candidate’s policy positions — be it liberal or conservative — don’t matter. Mnuchin has donated tens of thousands of dollars over the years to both Republicans, such as 2012 presidential candidate and now senator Mitt Romney and former speaker of the House of Rpresentatives Paul Ryan, and Democrats such as Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.He also worked for the GOP’s ultimate boogeyman, George Soros.

David Levinthal, senior Washington correspondent for Business Insider and former editor-at- large at the Center for Public Integrity, said some donors like Mnuchin try to make sure they get access to whoever wins the election, Republican or Democrat. They hedge their bets by giving to both sides.

Mnuchin was appealing to Trump not because of his economic theories or conservative bona fides, but because he “is really, really good at raising money,” Levinthal said.

Trump hired Mnuchin to be finance manager for his 2016 presidential campaign. In true Mnuchin fashion, he joined the campaign late — the same month it became clear Trump would win the Republican nomination. 

Mnuchin “was asked by somebody, ‘Why would you sign up with Donald Trump?’” Dayen said. “And he said something like, ‘Well, this is a bet. And if I win, I’m going to get a really big prize.’ He made the bet and he won.”

His wife would definitely kill you.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, right, and his wife Louise Linton, hold up a sheet of new $1 bills.

• Upvote 1

A New York state judge on Monday denied a motion to dismiss a lawsuit against several social media companies alleging the platforms contributed to the radicalization of a gunman who killed 10 people at a grocery store in Buffalo, New York in 2022, court documents show.

“The Court has determined the complaint sufficiently pleads viable causes of action to go forward at this stage of the litigation,” said Erie County Supreme Court Justice Paula Feroleto.

In her decision, the judge said that the plaintiffs may proceed with their lawsuit, which claims social media companies — like Meta, Alphabet, Reddit and 4chan — ”profit from the racist, antisemitic, and violent material displayed on their platforms to maximize user engagement,” including the time then 18-year-old Payton Gendron spent on their platforms viewing that material.

Attorneys for the social media companies named in the lawsuit filed a motion to dismiss saying the companies are akin to message boards containing third-party content, court documents show.

• Upvote 1