You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spartak Moscow(A)- Champions League 26/09/17

LFC 6 Times

I'm genuinely not arsed about topping the group. I'm not convinced that it makes any difference to whether or not you progress from the next round and, in any case, if we're serious about being in Europe we should be prepared to play anyone.

We're still well placed to qualify, so I'm not worried (yet).

Arsenal said the same and run into Bayern or Barcelona every year.

To be fair it can go either way

I'm genuinely not arsed about topping the group. I'm not convinced that it makes any difference to whether or not you progress from the next round and, in any case, if we're serious about being in Europe we should be prepared to play anyone.

We're still well placed to qualify, so I'm not worried (yet).

I agree with this mostly but the issue for me is that they were missing some key players last night and they were absolutely awful, the worst side we've played this season by a mile, yet we've let them off the hook somewhat and put the pressure on ourselves in the group, and pressure isn't usually something this side thrives on.

Guest Pistonbroke

In fucking one. I don't know what's worse anymore. The absolute patronising shite we're having to tolerate from the top to bottom of this club, or the TLW super fans who can't wait to put their capes on after another awful result telling us everythings fine.

It's about time this club started manning the fuck up and winning shit again now instead of winning the best excuses every season. That game was their for the taking last night as spartak were fucking crap. Instead, we get the usual shite that we'd have settled for a point before it instead of asking why we haven't walked away with a 4-1 win.

Can't wait for the 'we'd have won the league if the season started in january' parade round the city in May again.

Now there's Irony for you. 

This so called Super Fan dig is uncalled for, people have different opinions and judge performances differently, but some are way to petulant in the way they show their disappointment. That isn't a dig at you personally, but after we don't get a win it is always the same posters who stamp their feet and sling insults around about the players and the Manager. Criticism is fine, but some people on here go way over the top and react like a spoilt fucking child. Yes, the result was disappointing last night, but the performance  wasn't that bad, it was just one of those nights. 

Firmino is a big issue imo.

When playing well and getting goals he is superb but 27 goals in 100 games is a shocking return really. Especially in such a attack minded team. Sturridge looks done yet Joyce is saying he may well start vs Newcastle. I like the look of Solanke but he's a kid with no experience.

Yet another position that should have been addressed in the summer. Shipping a player out and no replacement signed.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Firmino is a big issue imo.

When playing well and getting goals he is superb but 27 goals in 100 games is a shocking return really. Especially in such a attack minded team. Sturridge looks done yet Joyce is saying he may well start vs Newcastle. I like the look of Solanke but he's a kid with no experience.

Yet another position that should have been addressed in the summer. Shipping a player out and no replacement signed.

The system we play means usually the goals are shared about a lot. We are just spunking a load of chances at the moment and Firminho isn't the only culprit. We'd have to change the whole system to accommodate an out and out forward. That could be to the detriment of how Mane and Salah play. Not saying it wouldn't work or indeed improve results, but to land such a striker to fit in with the ethos we have would cost a fucking fortune which our owners clearly don't want to give out, or would involve a lot of luck. 

This so called Super Fan dig is uncalled for, people have different opinions and judge performances differently, but some are way to petulant in the way they show their disappointment. That isn't a dig at you personally, but after we don't get a win it is always the same posters who stamp their feet and sling insults around about the players and the Manager. Criticism is fine, but some people on here go way over the top and react like a spoilt fucking child. Yes, the result was disappointing last night, but the performance  wasn't that bad, it was just one of those nights. 

thanks for proving my point

It's not to do with the bottom line, but actually addressing key areas. Our entire defence for one.

If you truly think that, then give up thinking now. You might as well address that comment to Huddersfield Town, Stoke City or Everton, given the relativity of what is being spent.

AOC aside (who has been at the club for, what, an almighty 4 or 5 games? who I think will prove his worth later in the season when Mane/Salah tire), every player Klopp has paid a material amount of money for has come in and contributed to a 27% increase in points & CL football in Klopp's first season. Take spend away from those players (Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum etc.) and, surprise surprise, you might find we start dropping points as the quality of other facets of our game decreases. Ultimately, one or two aberrations in 20 or 30 seasons aside, it is all to do with the bottom line first, and finding a competent manager to take you over the line second. The club has spent pittance compared with the sides around it: you don't get to have your cake and eat it.

Game last night: Moscow were playing out of their skins -- almost quite literally, given how many were dropping like flies in the final stages. A draw there in isolation is not a bad result. Fluffing our lines against Sevilla was far worse. We need 9/9 from Maribor and Moscow at home; then we'll see where we stand in the next round. Klopp's record in Europe is generally very good.

I like Firmino and he works his arse off for the team but think that if we had an out and out striker in our team we would score so many goals. Imagine if we had Morata or Lukaku playing for us last night. Sturridge still has good close control when the ball is passed into his feet but he offers virtually no goal threat anymore.

But again, it's just another thing that needs fixing that hasn't been fixed since 2014. Still need a centre back, Keeper and midfielder who can provide protection to the defence. This could have partly been addressed rather than wasting 40m on Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'm sure we could have got a good keeper for the same amount and it would have made an instant difference.

Guest Pistonbroke

You can't win every game, even the likes of Swansea and Newcastle cause upsets against the so called bigger clubs within our own leagues. We should have won and played well enough to do so, we didn't though because of poor finishing and a few bad decisions. On another day we'll play a lot worse and yet win, it is the nature of the game. 

I'm not having this bollix about teams like Spartak or Maribor having some sort of tactical nous that comes with "European experience", they are utter shite, like unbelievably bad. Swansea or Newcastle would batter these, I'm still at a loss how we managed to not beat them.

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious. We didn't take one of our considerable number of chances and they scored from one of their only two shots on target.

The problem is, nearly every game is "one of those nights/afternoons" for far too fucking long.

There is a limit to the number of times that and " on another day we have scored a dozen" can be used without sounding like Rodgers or Hodgson.

• Upvote 1

It's a shit result. We started arguably "our best" 11 save Mignolet. They were missing several of their best players. We didn't get the job done up front and the keeper fucked up at the back. It's not points dropped, it's points needlessly given away.

if we had winners on the team they'd be pissed and ready to smash their next opponent but my guess is this lot is not arsed and considers it a positive if somewhat frustrating result.

Guest Pistonbroke

The problem is, nearly every game is "one of those nights/afternoons" for far too fucking long.

There is a limit to the number of times that and " on another day we have scored a dozen" can be used without sounding like Rodgers or Hodgson.

A bit of an exaggeration mate. We should be winning more games so far this season, but we more than met expectations last season. In all honesty we just haven't got the squad to match or better that. We all know where the problems are, but I doubt they'll be all sorted under the current ownership. Klopp is not without fault and certain players are just not good enough, but in general I'd say the biggest problem is the way the club is being run as a whole, that fault lays firmly at the doorstep of the owners, who IMO get far too much of an easy ride. We'll no doubt be having the same conversations after next summer, albeit the situation might not be so bleak, but it sure as fuck won't be good enough for us to be performing at the level of top clubs on a consistent basis. 

You have to deal in realism. Yes we dont have the same resources as others. But also its reality we've spunked far too much money away. Case in point AOC. 35 million on him! And i dont dislike him. He just wasnt needed.

Reality is we need to stop shipping goals and scoring goals and stop with the excuses.

I'm not ready to say AOC wasn't needed until I see what he contributes over, say, the course of a season. I suspect he will play a bit more as he gets up to speed, and/or to give some others a rest. The money we paid for him seems high, but then on the other hand the market went mad and we were in that market. Further, we are ready to complain about the drop off in quality beyond the first team, but then we are ready to complain if back ups cost too much. Can't win really.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying AOC is this or that, but I am saying his contribution can't be assessed just yet.

We all know the score on priorities though. We needed a central defender all day long as a top priority, so that was a big miss in the summer.