You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

55 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's OK to say "I don't have an opinion, because I don't have enough information." 

Of course, if I were determined to express an opinion, I could take hours and hours to do enough research and then trawl through ten pages of this thread where you're all discussing korfball, or whatever sport you and Rico have taken a sudden interest in, but I've really not got the time or inclination.

(PS - I'm not a fan of combat sports, generally. Watching people knock fuck out of each other as a form of entertainment is not really my thing.)

Here’s the relevant info: men have a 160% advantage in punching power compared to women. Done! 

It’s also fucking hilarious that you only express an opinion after hours and hours of research.  

You can’t answer because the only answer is ‘no, men shouldn’t fight women’ and that would go against the position you’ve taken that TWAW.  It’s funny to watch though. 

I reckon Amanda Nunes has at least a 160% punching advantage over me!

Out of interest what were the parameters for the test, were they testing similar sized men and women, trained/untrained what level of physical fitness, how many participants were there in the trial?

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's OK to say "I don't have an opinion, because I don't have enough information." 

Of course, if I were determined to express an opinion, I could take hours and hours to do enough research and then trawl through ten pages of this thread where you're all discussing korfball, or whatever sport you and Rico have taken a sudden interest in, but I've really not got the time or inclination.

(PS - I'm not a fan of combat sports, generally. Watching people knock fuck out of each other as a form of entertainment is not really my thing.)

Do you really need to undertake hours and hours of research to determine whether men are stronger than women? Really?

30 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Here’s the relevant info: men have a 160% advantage in punching power compared to women. Done! 

It’s also fucking hilarious that you only express an opinion after hours and hours of research.  

You can’t answer because the only answer is ‘no, men shouldn’t fight women’ and that would go against the position you’ve taken that TWAW.  It’s funny to watch though. 

There's literally nothing to watch.

What you're offering as "the relevant info" is one decontextualised fact, with nothing to source or support it, given by someone I know to have a fanatical obsession with stopping trans women from doing just about anything. Obviously, in the world of social media, that's usually more than enough for people to go shouting opinions, but I can't be arsed this time.

26 minutes ago, A Red said:

Do you really need to undertake hours and hours of research to determine whether men are stronger than women? Really?

Any honest, intelligent person would need to undertake hours and hours of research to determine what the appropriate rules for fighty sports should be.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's literally nothing to watch.

What you're offering as "the relevant info" is one decontextualised fact, with nothing to source or support it, given by someone I know to have a fanatical obsession with stopping trans women from doing just about anything. Obviously, in the world of social media, that's usually more than enough for people to go shouting opinions, but I can't be arsed this time.

The data is taken from the World Rugby report into trans people in sport.  They concluded that there was a 20-30% greater risk of injury when a woman was tackled by a person who’d been through male puberty.  There.  Now you have all the information, you can fact check it and either say - I don’t care, inclusion is more important than womens safety or that’s not fair, World Rugby we’re correct. Your choice. 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The data is taken from the World Rugby report into trans people in sport.  They concluded that there was a 20-30% greater risk of injury when a woman was tackled by a person who’d been through male puberty.  There.  Now you have all the information, you can fact check it and either say - I don’t care, inclusion is more important than womens safety or that’s not fair, World Rugby we’re correct. Your choice. 

Third option - I'm happy to let the governing bodies of the various sports make that call (provided they do it properly).

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Any honest, intelligent person would need to undertake hours and hours of research to determine what the appropriate rules for fighty sports should be.

Lets just a try a basic question that any honest intelligent person could take a stab at. Are men stronger than women?

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, A Red said:

Lets just a try a basic question that any honest intelligent person could take a stab at. Are men stronger than women?

I'd suspect that Sharon Davies is stronger than Darren Grimes..... Does that help? 

10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Generally speaking, yes - obviously. That's not a question about trans women in sports, though.

Ok, another basic question - Is a trans women, generally speaking stronger than a woman?

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've no idea how you got there from anything I've posted, but then I don't expect logic or reason from you in this thread.

Ha ha.  Only women are allowed to play rugby, TW don’t meet the definition of women. Therefore transwomen aren’t women. 

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I hope the rugby authorities - and those in charge of all sports - put more thought into it than that.

That’s the crux of it. TW would dramatically increase the risk of injury.  I mean it’s quite simple.  

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That question makes no sense. Can you figure out why?

I'll try to make a bit more sense for you by asking it differently.

What is stronger, generally, a trans woman having gone though male puberty or a woman having gone through female puberty?

11 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'll try to make a bit more sense for you by asking it differently.

What is stronger, generally, a trans woman having gone though male puberty or a woman having gone through female puberty?

Are you suggesting the length of time the trans woman has been taking GA hormones should be disregarded?