You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

C Palace (H) - 3pm, Sat 19/08/17 - Fourth time's a charm.

Trumo

I'd like to see Grujic get a chance in our midfield. Could be a big upside with him. He's a big lad and likes to have a pop at goal. There's also an edge to him, even though he's only young.

I'd like to see Henderson, Keita and Coutinho as the midfield three - bit of everything there. But since we're not there yet stick big Gru in there.

(Has anyone called him that?)

• Upvote 2

7-4 isn't a score line for the purists, but I'm letting them off for now as they are only 11 year olds learning the game. The other side scored two of their goals near the end when it was all over and everyone was tired. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I hope you preach fluid, attacking football and emphasize guile and intelligence over thuggery. 

I'd like to see Grujic get a chance in our midfield. Could be a big upside with him. He's a big lad and likes to have a pop at goal. There's also an edge to him, even though he's only young.

I'd like to see Henderson, Keita and Coutinho as the midfield three - bit of everything there. But since we're not there yet stick big Gru in there.

(Has anyone called him that?)

For me mate Gruijic would replace Henderson in that 3, Gini is a non-entity and has been awful since City at home last season Henderson is just as bad, hides during games and in general offers little apart from his energy (which on its own is not enough for a top 4 side) he regularly gets himself marked by going towards the opposition players when a team mate is looking for a pass and his continual pointing as to where a pass should be made is becoming ridicules. When the shit hits the fan he is no where to be seen and if reports are true (only whats been in the press lately no inside info) his whole handling of Coutinho and general player management is poor Gerrard talked Suarez into 1 more season and what a season, Henderson says he cant convince Coutinho only talk to him ??? then theres the recent story that Mane called a team meeting after the African cup  to discuss our poor run surely that should have been a captains action. There are a few concerning areas in the squad but for me midfield is the biggest concern teams walk straight through us constantly.

Im more than a bit nervous, Klopp still saying if he still has these players when the window closes he would be happy!!! i fucking wont be happy glaring issues yesterday from Klavan to Milners poor passing and slow pace to Henderson and Gini offering nothing in the middle Sturridge done nothing also, take Mane out of that team and were in the shit. He needs midfielders a center back and i'd still go for another attaker.

• Upvote 1

That line up. It's a travesty if we don't buy any players to improve the first 11. That side can scrape past palace that's fair enough but we are an injury to mane away from having absolutely fuck all as a side.

To be fair Salah was rested and Coutinho "injured", those are our three best attackers. Then Lallana who's next on the list is injured too.

Take 4 of the top 6 attacking players out of any team and it isn't going to look great.

The problem is lack of quality in midfield and defence rather than depth of options in attack. Even though we could do with a Sturridge alternative.

To be fair Salah was rested and Coutinho "injured", those are our three best attackers. Then Lallana who's next on the list is injured too.

Take 4 of the top 6 attacking players out of any team and it isn't going to look great.

The problem is lack of quality in midfield and defence rather than depth of options in attack. Even though we could do with a Sturridge alternative.

I agree I'm not saying we should buy an attacker but that we are so reliant on the attack because we lack quality elsewhere. The forward line will have to paper over a hell of a lot of cracks if we are to achieve anything this year.

There was a fair bit of moaning in the pub when the team was announced,but it did'nt end up too bad.Looking down from the Kop it seemed that the back four had set themselves up quite well.Both young fullbacks played well,Gomez looked particularly mature,and I was impressed with the cover that Milner offered young Robertson.The midfield was where we came apart.Henderson was slow and bereft of ideas,jibbing out of tackles,and offering very little,Windjam kept going missing,and upfront Sturridge offered nothing.You could see that we are desperately short of leaders,both in defense and especially midfield,there is no way that we can rely on the front three to get us out of the shit every time.

• Upvote 3

First half was flat as it comes. Robertson being the only real bright light. One game doesn't suddenly make him a world beater but the comments from a lot of people before they had even seen him play were laughable. I said I thought he might surprise a few people and I think he did with that performance. Second half Mane stepped it up and we ground it out. It's early days in the season and these sort of performances can happen no matter who you sign so it was good to get the win.

• Upvote 1

First half was flat as it comes. Robertson being the only real bright light. One game doesn't suddenly make him a world beater but the comments from a lot of people before they had even seen him play were laughable. I said I thought he might surprise a few people and I think he did with that performance. Second half Mane stepped it up and we ground it out. It's early days in the season and these sort of performances can happen no matter who you sign so it was good to get the win.

He was solid. He wasn't amazing.

Agreed. He showed no issues at the back, attacked very well and it looks like he has a blinder of a delivery from the left foot. In my view, it was a good, encouraging performance.

I never commented on him because I'd no idea. I'm sure some of those who did and slagged the signing will be reluctant to give praise, but the evidence is clear to see.

• Upvote 1

He was solid. He wasn't amazing.

People were saying he was absolute shite before the game. He was probably man of the match. This "he was solid" stuff is nonsense. He was good defensively while providing all the width in the first half putting some great crosses in. In the second half it was his link up with Mane which led to the goal. I hate the phrase but his game intelligence was refreshing as well. He didn't lose his head at any point. This was a lad making his debut. It was very promising.

People were saying he was absolute shite before the game. He was probably man of the match. This "he was solid" stuff is nonsense. He was good defensively while providing all the width in the first half putting some great crosses in. In the second half it was his link up with Mane which led to the goal. I hate the phrase but his game intelligence was refreshing as well. He didn't lose his head at any point. This was a lad making his debut. It was very promising.

Downing's debut was very good. Even Moreno had a better debut than him. I'd hold off the I told you sos for now.