You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Reports trickling in from Egypt mentions that the fee for Salah is now agreed upon between LFC and Roma; 35M GBP. Source: some commentator from BeIN Sport - https://twitter.com/Malkawaleny/status/871347438690246660

Google translated:

"Officially # # Son of my country # Mohammed Salah # for 40 million euros"

"Things are completely over and the terms of the contract have been agreed upon awaiting the official announcement from the Liverpool Club"

• Upvote 1

This Virgil Van Dijk thing is the most confused I have been since we signed Andy Carroll.

When otherwise smart people who know their football explain to me how a CB who has never played deep into any legitimate tournament is worth more than the entire Juve backline, despite a Scottish cup being his biggest honour, I get really, really confused.

Blue steel? Ferrari? It's the same fucking look, people. I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

• Upvote 1

£60 million and £200K a week for Van Dijk is frankly insane.  Our scouts can't find a single central defender who is comparable, available and cheaper than him?  Complete joke.

He's probably the best defender in the league.

• Upvote 1

If our league goals against figure dropped by ten it would be money well spent. There's definitely room for that sort of improvement.

You can do that without shitting 50-60 mill down the toilet, in fact a consistent backline of Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner would have achieved that last season with less than a goal a game between them, just a shame we couldn't get them on the pitch together.

He's probably the best defender in the league.

He is. Alderweireld is probably his main challenger for that title, and Van Dijk has been even more impressive for Southampton than he had. In fact, I've seen quite a few Southampton fans say he's the best centre-back in their club's history. 

Van Dijk is definitely among the 10 best centre-backs in the world atm. He's brilliant in one-on-ones, excellent at bringing the ball out of defence, is a beast in the air, gets his fair share of goals and is ridiculously quick as we saw against Mane last year. The guy basically basically has no weakness in his game. He's properly world-class, the only reason some may not consider him as such is because he only plays for Southampton. I might be in the minority here, but Van Dijk is easily worth 50-60 million in the current market without a fucking shadow of a doubt in my mind. 

Pep needs to do the sane thing and go chase after the likes of Laporte,  Lucas Hernandez or Lindelof instead.

• Upvote 1

Makes you wonder why Europes great clubs aren't in for him and it's exclusively PL teams.

He'd be one of the most expensive defenders in the world now.. Perhaps only United, City, Chelsea, Real and Bayern could afford him. United want Keane instead. He wouldn't get regular games for Real or Bayern I wouldn't have thought.

He is. Alderweireld is probably his main challenger for that title, and Van Dijk has been even more impressive for Southampton than he had. In fact, I've seen quite a few Southampton fans say he's the best centre-back in their club's history. 

Van Dijk is definitely among the 10 best centre-backs in the world atm. He's brilliant in one-on-ones, excellent at bringing the ball out of defence, is a beast in the air, gets his fair share of goals and is ridiculously quick as we saw against Mane last year. The guy basically basically has no weakness in his game. He's properly world-class, the only reason some may not consider him as such is because he only plays for Southampton. I might be in the minority here, but Van Dijk is easily worth 50-60 million in the current market without a fucking shadow of a doubt in my mind. 

Pep needs to do the sane thing and go chase after the likes of Laporte,  Lucas Hernandez or Lindelof instead.

He is top quality. We have a chance here with champions league footy on offer to buy there best. Him and Matip would be our best CB partnership since Hyppia/Carra , probably even better. FSG need to cough up the dollar. 

He'd be one of the most expensive defender in the world now.. Perhaps only United, City, Chelsea, Real and Bayern could afford him. United want Keane instead. He wouldn't get regular games for Real or Bayern I wouldn't have thought.

He is better than Hummels and Boateng. And Pepe. Ramos is a cunt. he would be a starter for any team in the world. 

He'd be one of the most expensive defender in the world now.. Perhaps only United, City, Chelsea, Real and Bayern could afford him. United want Keane instead. He wouldn't get regular games for Real or Bayern I wouldn't have thought.

Read that back to yourself.