You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

If it was a case of voting for Corbyn and splitting the party in two, causing both parties to take votes off each other and thus consigning us to Tory rule for the next 20 years, or alternatively voting for Benn and keeping the labour party together and possibly ousting the Tories in 2020...it'd be tempted in that scenario to vote for Benn.

If it was a case of voting for Corbyn and splitting the party in two, causing both parties to take votes off each other and thus consigning us to Tory rule for the next 20 years, or alternatively voting for Benn and keeping the labour party together and possibly ousting the Tories in 2020...it'd be a very tough decision to make.

Strange conclusion to make.

Ever noticed when the BBC and other media outlets talk about trident they show the submarines or the missiles and test runs of those launching but never the cataclismic destruction they would cause. I wonder if it's to protect little Timmy from having an upset stomack when he watches the 6 o'clock news when eating his chicken nuggets.

Ever noticed when the BBC and other media outlets talk about trident they show the submarines or the missiles and test runs of those launching but never the cataclismic destruction they would cause. I wonder if it's to protect little Timmy from having an upset stomack when he watches the 6 o'clock news when eating his chicken nuggets.

Nuclear weapons make me feel all warm and cuddly. The last thing I want to see is what would happen if they were used.

Maybe so, that was a bit random. I just can't see a split party winning an election for the foreseeable.

A split could lead to the two parties getting more votes between them than they were previously as one party. Green and non voters to Lab Left, A few Lib Dems and slightly less hateful Tories to Lab Right. It could lead to the Tories not getting a majority. It could lead to the calls for PR becoming louder. Who knows. I think making predictions beyond the end of the week are tricky at the moment, making one for the next couple of decades is impossible.

A split could lead to the two parties getting more votes between them than they were previously as one party. Green and non voters to Lab Left, A few Lib Dems and slightly less hateful Tories to Lab Right. It could lead to the Tories not getting a majority. It could lead to the calls for PR becoming louder. Who knows. I think making predictions beyond the end of the week are tricky at the moment, making one for the next couple of decades is impossible.

But wouldn't the Tories just form a coalition with the Lib Dems again or UKIP? 

Not trying to map out the next 4 years of politics here, just thinking out loud. 

It also never shows somebody ringing the Americans and asking if we can have the launch/targeting codes.

The reality is that if somone detonated a nuke, or several, on British soil, we aren't retaliating against anyone the US don't want us to.

I think the idea behind nuclear weapons is that you don't have to see the damage they cause, because you squashed the other buggers with them first, or at least stopped them from using them in the first place.

So you would have to see the damage they cause then.

When the Wind Blows should be mandatory viewing at primary schools.

Kids have got to learn.

Yeah and follow it up with a bit of this:

I was 13 when I watched that - the full thing used to be on youtube but I can't find it now.  Absolutely fucking terrifying.  It still amazes me some days that I grew up in a time when a nuclear war seemed entirely possible.

• Upvote 1

It also never shows somebody ringing the Americans and asking if we can have the launch/targeting codes.

The reality is that if somone detonated a nuke, or several, on British soil, we aren't retaliating against anyone the US don't want us to.

I don't think that's the case at all. Anyone claiming one way or the other whether our nuclear weapons are operationally independent is essentially guessing, though given that they would be pointless if they weren't, I know which side of the fence I fall.

But wouldn't the Tories just form a coalition with the Lib Dems again or UKIP? 

Not trying to map out the next 4 years of politics here, just thinking out loud. 

Maybe, maybe not.

Personally, I think Farron has got a bit more about him than Clegg. I couldn't see him working with the Tories.

UKIP might hold the key, because I think they could get anywhere between about 0-100 seats at the next election (I've probably exaggerated a little). All it would require is a coherent immigration policy from any of the parties and UKIP could become obsolete.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that's the case at all. Anyone claiming one way or the other whether our nuclear weapons are operationally independent is essentially guessing, though given that they would be pointless if they weren't, I know which side of the fence I fall.

You really think the US are going to hand us a weapon of mass destruction we could, in theory, turn on them without any failsafes?

Nuclear weapons are a political tool. You don't get poked by other nation states when you have them. People are less eager to go to war. I do unfortunately see the sense in having them even though they are never to be used. I don't see the sense in trident which is essentially us paying a fortune to the US for something we couldn't use without their consent anyway.

I'd love for the entire planet too abandon nukes. Won't happen though.

We've done plenty of printing money, but sadly we didn't use any of it to actually build infrastructure. The debt is increasing in no small part down to the few at the top not paying tax, and lots at the bottom earning so little that they don't. 6m people on poverty wages in the UK, plus the million or so that don't have a job at all, and obviously this has to be subsidised.

Cutting our way out of debt won't work, it's basically what we're attempting (pretending) to do now.

I don't want to see a "radical" party at all. I want to see a centre-left party rather than a centrist one. But for that to happen the narrative must be challenged, you don't appear to want to see even an attempt to do this.

Growth and inflation are the usual ways debt is reduced . With that off the agenda printing money remains, 

I think there is general consensus that money should not be given to banks to strengthen their balance sheets but pumped into the real economy . I think we agree on that principle. 

If the narrative you want is that new money created should be used to improve life chances of young people and help the poorest in society then we also agree, Where I think we disagree is testing the Labour party to destruction over Corbyns leadership. I think if that happens what could well emerge will not be a centre left party but one of the hard left ,