You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

If this is anything to go by we surround them with inflatables and gently push them with cushions.

kknln83.gif

The clear flaw in training here is not the inflatibles or the cushions to buffet him about. its that achterberg seems oblivious to the fact that the keeper is attempting to catch the ball at virtually its lowest point of the cross.

Even a 5ft 5inch midfielder would out jump the keeper to that ball. Fucking shocking training.

someone highlighted the second goal as potentially being worse keeping than on the fourth. Its a good point. You'd think a keeper talked about as the next neuer could at least keep it out. But, he also had two bites of the cherry on the fourth. He spooned the first then let the attacker force the ball past him despite getting something on it.

It's really not good enough.

• Upvote 1

What Jamie says ;

“In eight starts for Liverpool he has not shown me one thing to suggest he’s good enough at this level,” Carragher said. “He’s yet to convince me in any game. It is still early days but he would need a massive improvement. When your defence is under pressure, sometimes you need your goalkeeper to save it and he’s miles away [from Fraser’s second goal].

“Too often in last two or three years, Liverpool fall apart when put under pressure. The back four and the goalkeeper can’t deal with [pressure].”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/04/jurgen-klopp-defends-loris-karius-late-collapse-bournemouth-liverpool

• Downvote 1

That Bournemouth player Cook was on the radio this morning saying they saw the keeper as a weakness and deliberately targeted him as part of their gameplan.

Not sure about that. Sounds more like sticking the boot in after the fact. They were nowhere until we let them back in by being absolute dog shit and not keeping the ball.

Some stupid reactions to Karius on here. There is no doubt he was at fault for their winner but had pulled off a fantastic save minutes before. The reasons we lost yesterday were and stemmed from what happened in front of him. Matip is without doubt essential for solidity at the back but we still need to sort out a permanent partner. I would like to see Klavan get a few games and try him as Lovren is likely to continue to have defensive brain farts now and again and we dont need those. An unfamiliar Milner poor decision and general lethargic all round performance all came together to make a nightmare end to a game which we should and were winning comfortably.

In reflection we have been lucky enough to win more of these types of games than not. It has to be expected though as this is how Klopp's teams play. You gamble by trying to reinforce attacking options at the expense of the defensive side.

• Upvote 1

You can gamble on the attacking side if your defenders and keeper do their job. Matip as you say is a huge player for us, we need someone similar to play alongside him.

Cannot understand what has happened with Klavan. The import thing is to react as we did after the Burnley defeat, despite us having players out. Matip missed that game didn't he ?

Some stupid reactions to Karius on here. There is no doubt he was at fault for their winner but had pulled off a fantastic save minutes before. The reasons we lost yesterday were and stemmed from what happened in front of him. Matip is without doubt essential for solidity at the back but we still need to sort out a permanent partner. I would like to see Klavan get a few games and try him as Lovren is likely to continue to have defensive brain farts now and again and we dont need those. An unfamiliar Milner poor decision and general lethargic all round performance all came together to make a nightmare end to a game which we should and were winning comfortably.

In reflection we have been lucky enough to win more of these types of games than not. It has to be expected though as this is how Klopp's teams play. You gamble by trying to reinforce attacking options at the expense of the defensive side.

It isnt stupid at all. If mignolet had of conceeded those goals, you'd be calling him out for it so stop sticking your head in the sand. Yes he did make a very good save moments earlier. That's exactly what can happen with mignolet.

Neither keeper is up to the job long term. Once we agree on that, we or hopefully the team, moves forward.

• Downvote 1

Mignolet is not up to the job long term. He's had plenty of time to show what he can do. For me, we are still finding out about Karius. He has the season to show us what he can do. On the basis of his first few games, it didn't look too good. On the basis of the next few games, it started to settle down and a decent unit looked like it was emerging, with clean sheets being added as a byproduct of the solidity. On the basis of yesterday's performance, it doesn't look good again.

So what can we conclude thus far? For me, it's clear that it's not clear yet! We've seen some decent stuff and we've seen some rubbish. By the end of the season Klopp will have seen enough of one or the other to help him know if Karius will be our no.1 for the long haul, or if he needs to go back into the market to get a new goalkeeper.

I wouldn't be surprised if for Klopp, it's all about the unit. In other words, when the defenders are at sixes and sevens, surprise surprise, so is the goalkeeper. I suspect we will see a new partner for Matip before Karius is replaced. Further, I expect that when that happens, we will start to look good at the back again and Karius will cement his place long term.

What about teaching them to hold onto shots that are hit straight at them? Clemence used to do this without gloves.

The amount of times they parry shots nowadays is rediculous. Maybe the gloves are too padded, no feel for the ball in my opinion. Bit like Cricket gloves when they brought the really padded ones in.

I've stuck up for him so far and keepers are always going to make mistakes but I'm a bit worried if he's up to it mentally at the moment.

Big test for him this Sunday. If he fails we're gonna have to address the issue or it'll cost us. Hopefully Mig has learnt some things in his time outside the team, but I doubt it

I swear it's only us that complicate this goalkeeper thing? It must be the coaching to blame. No one else seems to have these issues so often

I've stuck up for him so far and keepers are always going to make mistakes but I'm a bit worried if he's up to it mentally at the moment.

Big test for him this Sunday. If he fails we're gonna have to address the issue or it'll cost us. Hopefully Mig has learnt some things in his time outside the team, but I doubt it

I swear it's only us that complicate this goalkeeper thing? It must be the coaching to blame. No one else seems to have these issues so often

Haven't you watched that training clip? Tells you everything you need to know.

(Karius can barely catch a ball when under the pressure of mignolet gently pushing him with a cushion at chest height)

It's a combination of shit keeper and shit coaching.

That 3 second clip tells you everything you need to know?

Come on lads, we lost a game. That's all. This idea that we need to tear everything up and start again, or the squad is shit and we're shit and everything is shit is a bit fucking tiresome. Klopp has enough credit in the bank that we can take our second defeat of the season, in December might I add, on the chin and not resort to the wrist slitting of the past 24 hrs.

That defeat will be a kick up the arse for everyone, the measure of the team will be in our response.

• Upvote 3

Come on lads, we lost a game. That's all. This idea that we need to tear everything up and start again, or the squad is shit and we're shit and everything is shit is a bit fucking tiresome. Klopp has enough credit in the bank that we can take our second defeat of the season, in December might I add, on the chin and not resort to the wrist slitting of the past 24 hrs.

That defeat will be a kick up the arse for everyone, the measure of the team will be in our response.

It's not because we lost one game.

It's because we lost a game in the way in which only we seem capable of doing.

Who has argued against this?

Most people seem to just be expressing their complete non surprise that this collection of players shit the bed, again.

I don't think there any reason not to play Lovren with Matip.  They've looked a pretty good pairing.