You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Office

Elite

I'm with Elite, i don't mind Fawlty Towers but i think it's a little over-rated. 

Sitcom wise i'd go

The Office

I'm Alan Partridge

The Young Ones.

The uniting factor behind those three, two series each, with no chaff at all.  Fawlty Towers qualifies under than ruling as well, but personally i'd have it behind those three. Blackadder 2-4 is fantastic, no arguments from me there, but series one just isn't that great, and Atkinson's protrayal of Edmund is just irritating until he grows some in Series two. Same with the later Only Fools and Horses specials made after it's sell by date. They should have left it alone where they got rich.   

Guest Numero Veinticinco

UK version, obviously.

Best comedy of all time in book. Fucking genius, still has me in stitches no matter how many times I watch it.

I don't really like the UK version, much less think it's the best comedy of all time. The US version is ok. Meh. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In fourth, my attempt at spelling 'genius'.

Fucking hell, what a twat.

"Get the guitar."

Genesis?

ASG-007073.jpg

• Upvote 1

Office was great, but it was also incredible innovative, there has been so many shows copying or further developing certain elements   that if you haven't seen it when it came out, you would not be able to appreciate fully how new it was back then. A bit like Alien or Blade Runner.

The Thick of It was brilliant, maybe less so toward the end.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Yes Minister.

• Upvote 1

Good list. I'd need to find room for Early Doors and Phoenix Nights.

Never even seen In the Thick Of It

I don't think I've ever seen Early Doors, and only ever seen the odd episode of Phoenix Nights.

Office was great, but it was also incredible innovative, there has been so many shows copying or further developing certain elements   that if you haven't seen it when it came out, you would not be able to appreciate fully how new it was back then. A bit like Alien or Blade Runner.

The Thick of It was brilliant, maybe less so toward the end.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Yes Minister.

I actually loved the final few episodes of The Thick of It. It was completely different to the rest, really dark. If you meant more than that, like everthing post Hugh Abbot I guess I'd agree to some extent. He was an incredible character. Although so were Peter Mannion and Steve Fleming in series 3 and 4.

The one really shit character, who thankfully never played a big role, was "The Fucker".

• Upvote 1

I actually loved the final few episodes of The Thick of It. It was completely different to the rest, really dark. If you meant more than that, like everthing post Hugh Abbot I guess I'd agree to some extent. He was an incredible character. Although so were Peter Mannion and Steve Fleming in series 3 and 4.

Yes, I remember it took me a while to get into S4, and I would definitely rate the Abbot part of the series higher than the rest.

It's one of those shows that you watch and think, well, this is just ridiculously good. Last time I felt like this was when I binge watched Louie.

Not free but it's on Netflix and Lovefilm.

You need to watch it, mate, properly amazing telly.

Excellent, she has a Netflix account, can't believe I've not watched it.

Appears they don't have series 1, which, you know, is probably the best place to start.

Controversial.

Gracias, gentlemen.

I don't know where we're going tonight. Obviously Finchy's a sophisticated guy, and Gareth's a culture vulture, so you know will it be opera, ballet? I don't know. I know the RSC's in town, so er... having said that at Chasers, it's Hooch for a pound and Wonderbras-get-in-free night tonight.

Tim was probably the key element to it being amazing. I think you look at Tim and you see the real brilliance of Gervias. Even in the fact that you're rooting for him as the outsider all the way and then he goes and buys into the stuff he's been mocking all the way through the show. I think Gervais loves a bit of pathos and Tim was his tool for a lot of that.

• Upvote 1