You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

I don't know what to make of Sturridge. He's obviously a fantastic footballer and goal scorer but these injuries are taking the piss now. How badly hurt is he? Can he play through the pain barrier? Give him some painkillers and let him get on with it? If so, he should be made to play, not sit out yet again, picking up a fat pay cheque again for doing nothing. 

Eusebio would play through injury after injury after injury for Benfica. They'd give him painkillers, bandage him up and he'd go out there and bang in the goals. It ended up crippling him but fuck me, that's commitment to your club. Then you have some players who break a nail and don't want to know.

You can't force someone to cripple themselves for the club, wtf.

I'm not saying he should. I'm saying unless he's unable to play, he should play. Is Sturridge unable to play? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I don't know any more but I'm sick of the amount of games he's missed now. This is a big season for him. If he has another season like the last one, it will probably be his last with the club.

Hopefully there is a large middle ground to be explored between what Eusebio did and what Sturridge appears to be doing. 

Nobody wants a player to cripple themselves for the club. But it's not altogether unreasonable to hope for a player to be willing to put himself out slightly, and even experience some minor discomfort, for the greater cause. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying he should. I'm saying unless he's unable to play, he should play. Is Sturridge unable to play? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I don't know any more but I'm sick of the amount of games he's missed now. This is a big season for him. If he has another season like the last one, it will probably be his last with the club.

Given what you hear on the grapevine and what Brendan said before and given the seemingly minor and innocuous nature of the injury he got last week and seeing as it was Klopp's first match in charge and we were really light on strikers, I can't help but think the worst about it personally as regards his commitment.  I always backed him when people questioned his attitude but now I'm just not so sure, smoke without fire and all that.  We'll find out soon enough though

Rodgers has openly questioned his injuries

Hodgson has told him he needs to play regulary if he wants to play for england.

And commentators and journos have left subtle remarks about his willingness to play through any pain.

Its not even a close secret anymore, he just cant be relied upon if as soon as he gets a knock he downs tools.

Wonderful talent but the amount of games he has missed for the club is extraordinary. Makes Owen look like the bionic man

Liverpool boss Klopp: the reason I just couldn't risk Daniel Sturridge for weekend draw at Spurs

But Reds boss reveals he has 100% trust in striker

Jurgen Klopp says he has “100%” trust in Daniel Sturridge – but has revealed why he simply could not risk the Liverpool striker against Tottenham last weekend.

Sturridge was not included in the Reds’ 18-man squad at White Hart Lane, having suffered a knock to his knee in training.

Having seen the striker miss the bulk of last season – and the start of this – with a combination of thigh, calf and hip problems, Liverpool fans had reacted with dismay to news of another potential setback.

Klopp, though, has moved to allay their fears, stating that Liverpool simply couldn’t afford to risk Sturridge at the end of a week in which they lost two players – Joe Gomez and Danny Ings – to long term injuries

The 26-year-old, he says, could return to action for Thursday’s Europa League clash with Rubin Kazan at Anfield.

Klopp said: “I have known Daniel now for one week, and for six days he was perfect in training. Everything we did he was full of power, skills. He was outstanding.

“He did so many good things and then he got this contact with (Jordon) Ibe.

“In another situation I would have talked to him and said, ‘please try.’ But we can't in a week of two ACL injuries. Come on.

“It is OK for Daniel (to miss the Spurs game). We need Daniel for sure and if we played this game on Thursday then maybe he would play. No problem.

“I trust 100% this player. If Daniel is back then he can play no problem. If he is not then I don’t think about it because if the medics and physiotherapists tell me it is not possible, then it is not possible. I don’t have to discuss it, just think about another solution.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-klopp-reason-just-10291278

• Upvote 1

Well those stats compiled whilst he's missed a whole year are illuminating, really coloured in an otherwise black and white picture for me there. Looking forward to seeing Ing's and Flanagan's numbers; I'm thinking minutes played will be low again but don't want the surprise ruined for next year's article.

I think people are being a little unfair on him to be honest. He has missed pretty much an entire season through injury last year and throughout his career he has had injury problems. These things must play on his mind a lot.

The recovery from a long term injury is horrible, training alone, gym work alone, wanting to just get back out onto the pitch and play football. That has to be tough mentally. 

There is obviously some fear within him about wanting to be 100% but i don't think that is because he is a pussy i think it's more to do with being scared about breaking down again and thinking about the recovery process starting again.

I don't agree we should sell him either, he is in the top 10 strikers in the world when fit. Sure i understand he is on big wages and not fit a lot but he gives us a whole new dynamic, when he is on that pitch. Pace, power, skills, goal scorer and the ability to play at a high level in the premiership. Forwards like that are hard to buy. I'd much rather have him for 20 games a season than not have him at all. 

• Upvote 2

Makes Owen look like the bionic man.

Seen football players with double legbreaks come back quicker than he does from muscle injuries.

Far too many in the game/club questioning his mental fortitude now for it to be bad luck, there's no smoke without fire.

Taken at face value, I am not reassured by Klopp's defence of Sturridge. Why should losing two players to ACL injuries make it a bad idea to play Sturridge after a knock to the knee? Does he think these things come in threes? Of course, I don't take it at face value. It's certainly a novel way of looking at it which neutered any follow-up questions from the lazy hack.