You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

I honestly thought he'd end up getting the sack. I did say if he could turn it around he'd end up being a much better manager for going through a bad struggle and hopefully learning from it. He managed to keep the players onside and he looks to have got us going again. A serious cup run and a real push for top 4 and he'll survive I reckon.

I think if you look over his 3 season, it's very up and down, but the overall trend (I'd say) is improvement. Is it enough for improvement for FSG? who knows. He's had plenty of money to spend in the process, but at the same time, he's presided over the loss of one of the world's leading players, and two Liverpool stalwarts.

I think he's score card will say 7.5/10. Deserves another season to better that.

I'd say it was already turning to shit, probably why Ferguson decided to get out of dodge - he just couldn't be added.

Even with a shit team he could still get them competing and winning titles. Look at the team that pushed Man City to the final day in the 2011-2012 season, it was dogshit. A young error prone De Gea alternating with Lindegaard, Evan's at centre back, Cleverly centre midfield with a shot Scholes and Giggs alongside, Welbeck up front.

Thinking about it he had an average side for about 3-4 years before he walked away, it was propped up by his presence alone.

• Upvote 1

Even with a shit team he could still get them competing and winning titles. Look at the team that pushed Man City to the final day in the 2011-2012 season, it was dogshit. A young error prone De Gea alternating with Lindegaard, Evan's at centre back, Cleverly centre midfield with a shot Scholes and Giggs alongside, Welbeck up front.

Thinking about it he had an average side for about 3-4 years before he walked away, it was propped up by his presence alone.

I agree with that. Whatever he had, he seemed to get across the 'we are Manchester United' and 'you are the best of the best'' mentality well, and as long as they were winning things, who would argue? He seemed to know how to combine pride and fear in players, and the money to buy top talent didn't do any harm either.

I think when the Glazers came in, the reigns were tightened a bit, and then City and their spending became another fly in the ointment and he realised the landscape was becoming more difficult than ever. He wanted to go out on a high and it was becoming very risky to try and go for one final rebuild of his team.

I reckon he'd have quit after winning the league at Sunderland had it not been for that pesky Aguero. City should have tormented him the following season rather than allowing him to win it back. It would have driven him up the wall if he couldn't go out on a high. Alas, wasn't to be.

• Upvote 1

I'd say it was already turning to shit, probably why Ferguson decided to get out of dodge - he just couldn't be added.

That seemed to be the consensus at the time, but I don't think it's accurate. The team had a lot of ageing players in it, but it had just won the title at a canter and it turns out there was a lot of money available to strengthen the areas that needed fixing. Moyes was given more than £60m plus sales, Van Gaal more than £100m. With that kind of money Ferguson could easily have sorted out the defence and midfield and cleaned up again.

I think he packed it in on health grounds. I always believed he'd carry on for as long as he was physically and mentally able to, and I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise.

I honestly thought he'd end up getting the sack. I did say if he could turn it around he'd end up being a much better manager for going through a bad struggle and hopefully learning from it. He managed to keep the players onside and he looks to have got us going again. A serious cup run and a real push for top 4 and he'll survive I reckon.

I think all will be dependent on which way we're pointing at the end of the season.  6th and pointing upwards, he stays.  6th and pointing downwards, he won't survive.  

Guest davelfc

Ferguson wouldn't have got the time to be a success here with the way some of our fans think, Rodgers has had a bad 4 months and some want him out while Fergusons first three years were worse and he got time.

That's the most retarded quote that gets wheeled out on forums, by retards.

Bacon Face

St. Mirren

Aberdeen

Brendan Rogers

Swansea City

• Upvote 5

That seemed to be the consensus at the time, but I don't think it's accurate. The team had a lot of ageing players in it, but it had just won the title at a canter and it turns out there was a lot of money available to strengthen the areas that needed fixing. Moyes was given more than £60m plus sales, Van Gaal more than £100m. With that kind of money Ferguson could easily have sorted out the defence and midfield and cleaned up again.

I think he packed it in on health grounds. I always believed he'd carry on for as long as he was physically and mentally able to, and I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise.

Hard to be sure about the money being available.

You may well be right, but I suspect during and after Moyes' tenure United had their hand forced.. i.e. gone into 'emergency measures' to try and get back in CL asap.

I'm really hoping they don't make CL this year too. I'm sure they can afford another 150m if need be, but they're only going to get a couple of chances with that level of spending. 

Sadly they are looking strong enough to get third let alone scrape fourth. They could even manage second at a push, as I can see City losing another 3 or 4 games.

<p>

That's the most retarded quote that gets wheeled out on forums, by retards.

Bacon Face

St. Mirren

AberdeenBrendan Rogers

Swansea City

I don't understand this argument at all, seeing as he has so much more experience shouldn't that mean he has less excuses then a young up and coming manager?

He managed big clubs competing and should have known what to expect in terms of expectation/pressure yet Rodgers who had one season in the prem done better then him in his first few years, Ferguson had them finishing below mid table.

He also had better conditions to work under then Rodgers and was spending as much as the teams he was expected to challenge while Rodgers has less.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I don't understand this argument at all, seeing as he has so much more experience shouldn't that mean he has less excuses then a young up and coming manager?

He managed big clubs competing and should have known what to expect in terms of expectation/pressure yet Rodgers who had one season in the prem done better then him in his first few years, Ferguson had them finishing below mid table.

He also had better conditions to work under then Rodgers and was spending as much as the teams he was expected to challenge while Rodgers has less.

Experience? Experience of winning things.

Big clubs? Clubs in Scotland other than the Old Firm.

Ferguson's record before United was incredible...

in answer to the OP question

He is a yes man to the owners, been found out to be inept at this level, got lucky last season with LS, and cannot change a game if he was given another 11 subs and a guide on how to make changes that make a difference, no idea what his best 11 is, and got his teeth from the Richard Hammond/simon cowell school of dentistry.

Apart from that, he ok ok ok I suppose.

• Downvote 3

I think there's a couple of factors to bear in mind too:

1) At that time, United had never experienced pure dominance. In terms of success, Liverpool had it all, and United managed the odd domestic cup whilst still being a relatively average first division team. Yes they'd won the European Cup and had their glamour days, but they really were a long way behind Liverpool's success but the mid 80's.

It's a very different thing for a club, and its fans who HAVE been at the top of the tree (like Liverpool have) vs one that would like to be. Once you've tasted that level of success, there's a desire to get it back. United back then, just wanted to win the league.

I know Ferguson made his 'knock Liverpool off their perch' comment on arriving, but I'm pretty sure most thought of that as a 'United should start winning things' comment. Nobody could possibly have imagined the level of success he'd actually achieve.

So I'm saying Liverpool want a manager to help them get back to where they think they belong.

United (then) wanted a manager to just compete and possibly win the league.

2) Ferguson hadn't been at a big club, but he had done wonderful things at smaller clubs... very wonderful things. He was possibly like Mourinho at Porto. It LOOKED like he was a winner, but it was still a big leap to managing a top club. Regardless though, he had trophies under his belt with two clubs, not least of which was a UEFA cup which had a LOT of prestige back then.

So, when things weren't going well for Ferguson at United, and make no mistake, he was on the brink of being sacked, but he'd bought himself time on the back of his success elsewhere. Rodgers doesn't have that. When things get tricky for Rodgers, and fans want to pick holes - his CV's not really up to much. I'm not knocking Rodgers, I'm simply saying that's he's a much easier target than Ferguson was.

In a sense, it's like Moyes vs Van Gaal. When things started badly for Moyes, his CV was easier to criticise. Van Gaal didn't start well either, but his CV gave people enough reason to believe it would probably come right in the long run whilst Moyes suddenly had people worried that he'd turn them into a non-trophy winning Everton as per his CV

in answer to the OP question

He is a yes man to the owners, been found out to be inept at this level, got lucky last season with LS, and cannot change a game if he was given another 11 subs and a guide on how to make changes that make a difference, no idea what his best 11 is, and got his teeth from the Richard Hammond/simon cowell school of dentistry.

Apart from that, he ok ok ok I suppose.

Quim.

• Upvote 1

It's retarded to compare Rodgers at Liverpool and Ferguson at United. Completely different eras and completely different objectives. No way would Ferguson had gotten that much time at a similarly successful club in the modern era.

Fair enough but then we shouldn't role out the 'Ferguson had three years at United' cliché as that's also making a selective comparison. As you said Ferguson in the late eighties was a completely different era.

It's retarded to compare Rodgers at Liverpool and Ferguson at United. Completely different eras and completely different objectives. No way would Ferguson had gotten that much time at a similarly successful club in the modern era.

Begs the question why though, I remember Ferguson being a laughing stock, I also remember the Liverpool fans joyfully belting out "fergie must stay" at OT, there's a lesson in there surely.

Begs the question why though, I remember Ferguson being a laughing stock, I also remember the Liverpool fans joyfully belting out "fergie must stay" at OT, there's a lesson in there surely.

Liverpool fans wanting Rodgers sacked now, would have definitely wanted Ferguson sacked at Man U in my opinion.

Obviously comparing them looks ridiculous in hindsight, but Ferguson finished 11th (having taken over a team that finished 4th the season before), 2nd then 11th in his first three seasons ( a similar pattern to our seasons under Rodgers you might think, but much worse).

They were then in the relegation zone at Christmas the following season having also been tonked by Man City 5-1.

I also think Ferguson definitely would have been sacked by the current Man U regime had he performed like that in this era - and I don't think anyone slagging Rodgers now, were they Man U fans in this hypothetical reality, would have been urging patience and using at his Aberdeen record for proof in his defence.

• Upvote 3

Hard to be sure about the money being available.

You may well be right, but I suspect during and after Moyes' tenure United had their hand forced.. i.e. gone into 'emergency measures' to try and get back in CL asap.

Maybe, but Moyes got £30m straight away to buy Fellaini. I'm assuming Ferguson would have got at least the same, with more available later, as their finances clearly weren't as fucked as we'd been led to believe.

When people talk about the length of time a manager gets before the fans start getting antsy, it's important to look at the context.

I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the mancs when Ferguson took over but I do know they were a deeply dysfunctional club. They had a big drinking culture and a lot of problem characters in the side.

Also, people claim Ferguson lucked out with his crop of young players, but he was the one that introduced that youth policy and they didn't happen upon most of them by chance, didn't they poach Giggs and the Nevilles from rival clubs in fact?

He struck gold with youngsters and suddenly the rest of the league got their act together and started to develop academies like theirs, then pickings became more sparse, but he'd already harvested his golden generation while everyone else was sitting on their hands.

When you're trying to judge what a reasonable amount of time is for a manager you have to look at the state of the club when they came in, for me, and the reason I'll always love him, the only manager who's found a club in as bad a state as Ferguson did was Houllier.

Clowns like Ince leaking information to the NOTW, the spice boy rep, a squad that badly needed an overhaul. If Houllier had had a season like Rodgers had this season after that I'd be more patient because of the mess he found himself in early doors, but instead Rodgers has actively taken us backwards this season - admitedly - even though much of tha progress was down to him last season. He's spent money badly and on the wrong positions and we've actually got defensivelty worse up until recent matches.

• Upvote 1