You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Never Rated Rodgers Thread

Strontium

That's why he's a promising manager but he's not ready to be Liverpool manager. You don't race an F1 car before you've passed your test. Why are we letting him learn his mistakes here? We can't afford it. We've got a season in the CL out of him but have wasted a shitload of money on transfers through fuzzy thinking and the absolute clusterfuck of this season. Last season was great but painful as fuck to bottle it the way we did the last few games.

I agree. But, as with our kids, we don't get to choose our managers. We do get to choose our expectations though. I expected him to fuck up. He's a rookie, it's what they do. Now my expectations transition to 'promising manager' and he has the remainder of the season to prove that out. In the mean time, the best you can do is delude yourself into believing he's a superstar (works for him) until the end of the season.

He does know how to play multiple ways, he just made a mistake in terms of what he expected from the opposition this season. He believed everyone would turn up to Anfield like Chelsea last season and park the bus, hence Lambert as a plan B. What he didn't realise is without Suarez, the opposition don't need too.

Sure, HE knows how to play multiple ways, but the team needs to be taught to be actually able to play in multiple ways and switch between them as the situation demands. See Real Madrid home and away under Rafa. We don't have that. If we did have 'multiple-ways' in the backpocket then his mistake in expectations for this season would have been remedied already by us playing in one of the other multiple-ways, which clearly has not happened.

Dr J, but no-one had an issue when Gerrard was two or three yards in front of a split centre half pairing with the full backs pushed up when we blitzed Arsenal, Everton and blew City away in the first half. 99 times out of 100, he receives the pass, plays it out wide and we go in at 0-0 and nobody gives the position of the centre halves or where Gerrard was in relation to them a moment's thought. It was the worst possible thing- something you couldn't have envisaged in your worst nightmare- happening at the worst possible time. It's something that you can't legislate for rationalise, no matter how hard you try.

Rodgers os rightly coming in for some flack, but to use that game as a stick to beat him with is grossly unfair, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

The Reina episode just showed how foolish the man is, waste, waste, waste.

Hes the new David O'leary. Irish snake oil salesmen. He got leeds to a cl semi final an top 4 give him the job then, or at least send nueve to wank him off put the feelers out see if a deal might be possible.

This is it.

Gerrard was never a DM. He was a quarterback. On balance it worked. Playing with a DM instead of a quarterback may have got us a win against chelsea, but we would have been fighting for 4th not 1st.

It does look the time for a quarterback has passed though.

wrong sport

quarterback my arse

you are either a probing passer of the ball who builds the play and turns the opposition or you are a beautifully positioned breaker up of play/winner of possession

Gerrard can neither defend with the bets midfielders and nor can he build the play in a way that is credible. I don't blame him as he never could - but his ego would never let him accept that.

wrong sport

quarterback my arse

you are either a probing passer of the ball who builds the play and turns the opposition or you are a beautifully positioned breaker up of play/winner of possession

Gerrard can neither defend with the bets midfielders and nor can he build the play in a way that is credible. I don't blame him as he never could - but his ego would never let him accept that.

There are an infinite number of ways to play midfield. You've mentioned two that are popular with bus parkers and possession teams. Another way is to play on transition, to spring counter-attacks on teams while their defence is out of position, out of shape, or just tuned out. Gerrard does that better than anyone, ever probably. Suarez, Sturridge et al would receive the ball facing a confused defence already on the back foot. It made their task immeasurably easier.

That is a tactic to build your team around. The problem is with the 'around' not with the Gerrard. Everybody knows his limitations. That we haven't been able to accommodate them is the problem. Anyway, its by the by, that shit ain't working this year anyways.

• Upvote 1

The Reina episode just showed how foolish the man is, waste, waste, waste.

Hes the new David O'leary. Irish snake oil salesmen. He got leeds to a cl semi final an top 4 give him the job then, or at least send nueve to wank him off put the feelers out see if a deal might be possible.

Reina was over the hill, take the pension time, he was letting shots go right through him, a benchwarmer is unfortunately what he's become and a benchwarmer is unfortunately what he is.

Rodgers is a far better football coach/manager than David O'Leary.

• Upvote 1

Two years? I thought he underperformed the season(2009) we finished 2nd and he was the team's weakest link. But Mignolet is not good either.

Selling loyal Agger and Reina for peanuts because you think they are Championship side players, which they are not and replacing them with hilarious overrated mediocrities, can backfire, as you see.

When we appointed him, I never expected any real success with Rodgers and felt he would not get us higher than 6th place. Not entirely his fault, the strength of the Premiership makes this a tough league unless you are firmly established (Arsenal, United) or absolutely loaded (Chelsea, City). I said if he got us back into the CL he would be considered a big success, without actually expecting him to achieve that. Coming close to winning the title was beyond my wildest expectations. I was encouraged by some of the results and performances in his 1st season which took away some of my doubts that I had when we appointed him and he built on that magnificently last season.

But all of that promise and coming desperately close to winning the title was built around one man, and he ain't here any more. Without Suarez and Sturridge, Rodgers has sadly been found out. That's actually putting it mildly. He has been absolutely clueless this season and the mancs are rightly going to rip the piss out of us in a few weeks with references to that "Moyes is a football genius" banner.

Gerrard was never a DM. He was a quarterback. On balance it worked. Playing with a DM instead of a quarterback may have got us a win against chelsea, but we would have been fighting for 4th not 1st.

It does look the time for a quarterback has passed though.

The problem this season is that we're still playing a quarterback but we don't have the receivers.  Instead we've resorted to a poor running game and keep getting sacked 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Trust me; I've been a Dolphins fan for over 25 years, I've seen this shit happen before...

Now that we're confirmed mid table mediocrities, I can come out and admit that I never particularly rated Brendan Rodgers.

I've never been able to bring myself to sing his name. I always felt that he was a lucky manager, whose team performed scarcely better than Kenny's but lucked into an amazing run of form, fuelled solely by the best player in the world hitting the form of his life and dragging the rest of the team with him.

I gave him every chance. I was prepared to overlook the sub-David Brentisms and the embarrassing goings on in his private life. But even last season, when we almost won the title, there were major nagging doubts. The defensive frailities, the tactical naivety. This season's transfers just nailed it for me.

I feel much better to have gotten that off my chest. I surely can't be the only one.

happy enough when things were going ok though. sucked up all his patter but you were just waiting for the day he fucked up to unleash a "despite of everything I knew he was shite" thread
  • Upvote 1

When we appointed him, I never expected any real success with Rodgers and felt he would not get us higher than 6th place. Not entirely his fault, the strength of the Premiership makes this a tough league unless you are firmly established (Arsenal, United) or absolutely loaded (Chelsea, City). I said if he got us back into the CL he would be considered a big success, without actually expecting him to achieve that. Coming close to winning the title was beyond my wildest expectations. I was encouraged by some of the results and performances in his 1st season which took away some of my doubts that I had when we appointed him and he built on that magnificently last season.

But all of that promise and coming desperately close to winning the title was built around one man, and he ain't here any more. Without Suarez and Sturridge, Rodgers has sadly been found out. That's actually putting it mildly. He has been absolutely clueless this season and the mancs are rightly going to rip the piss out of us in a few weeks with references to that "Moyes is a football genius" banner.

he has to be given credit for creating the conditions for suarez to thrive in.

I thought at the time AVB was the best of the available options then Martinez and lastly Rodgers but wasn't excited by any of them tbh, Rodgers did win me over to some extent but never completely, His failure  to address our defensive shortcomings was baffling and some of his bizarre selections on occasions left me speechless. Who can forget his 4 CB formation in the home defeat to Southampton last season Plenty of other examples of totally inappropriate selections and he never seems to learn his lesson .

I blame him for not winning the league last season really, Not so much the fiasco at Selhurst Park . He was way to slow to get Agger on after the suicidal goal chase went wrong but the damage was done a week earlier. Playing into Mourinho's hand was unforgivable . He knew exactly what to expect and had the players to see out our first half cavalry charge. A savvy manager would have thought a point would do the job and not punched themselves out in the first half hour. We would have beaten Chelsea had we drawn them out and hit them on the counter,   I am pretty much done with him now ; a manager that can't adapt his strategy to get the best out of the players he has available is never going to reach the very top 

I'm badly gutted its panning out like this because I just can't see him turning it around, all the evidence points to the contrary.

He hasn't addressed the teams weaknesses from last season and whatever happens with his signings they haven't worked out and some of them look like they never will. Money has been wasted again and we don't look like we're in a position to buy our way out, losing Sturridge could be his undoing but with it being obvious Suarez was going it should have been mitigated by bringing in someone who could chip in.

The attack was never going to be as good this year so the defensive side of our game should have been tightened up, the fact he won't even entertain the idea of bringing in a defensive coach smacks of arrogance, there is self belief but when it's costing you points every week then you have to recognise the problem and fix it not just fucking ignore it.

I thought at the time AVB was the best of the available options then Martinez and lastly Rodgers but wasn't excited by any of them tbh, Rodgers did win me over to some extent but never completely, His failure  to address our defensive shortcomings was baffling and some of his bizarre selections on occasions left me speechless. Who can forget his 4 CB formation in the home defeat to Southampton last season Plenty of other examples of totally inappropriate selections and he never seems to learn his lesson .

I blame him for not winning the league last season really, Not so much the fiasco at Selhurst Park . He was way to slow to get Agger on after the suicidal goal chase went wrong but the damage was done a week earlier. Playing into Mourinho's hand was unforgivable . He knew exactly what to expect and had the players to see out our first half cavalry charge. A savvy manager would have thought a point would do the job and not punched themselves out in the first half hour. We would have beaten Chelsea had we drawn them out and hit them on the counter,   I am pretty much done with him now ; a manager that can't adapt his strategy to get the best out of the players he has available is never going to reach the very top 

Think Faustus made a good point earlier in the thread, how much was the Chelsea game Rodger's fault and how much was it the slip that let them in for the goal.

Because they did fuck all else in that game. 

In fairness maybe the giant gap that was there for Demba Ba to run into was stupid tactically but it was such a freak accident. Had it not occured who knows how the game would have gone. All old ground though I suppose.

Think Faustus made a good point earlier in the thread, how much was the Chelsea game Rodger's fault and how much was it the slip that let them in for the goal.

Because they did fuck all else in that game. 

In fairness maybe the giant gap that was there for Demba Ba to run into was stupid tactically but it was such a freak accident. Had it not occured who knows how the game would have gone. All old ground though I suppose.

You're right and it does seem like kicking a man when he's down but my opinion hasn't changed from the day we lost that game. Yes it could and probably should have ended 0-0 but Rodgers played into Mourinho's hands and we  wide open for a sucker punch once we ran out of ideas up front.  He should have forseen that. I am damn sure had we swapped managers for the day we would be champions now

There's nothing like a healthy dose of honesty. Ive not seen anything yet to turn around my initial reaction of "who's this learner?"

I cannot have respect for a coacher of footballers who never had long respected career as one himself. It's the blind leading the blind.

I fell in love with Luis Suarez last season, and now he's gone, I see Rodgers in the light of day. Mediocre.

On top of this, the guy is emotionally immature. He's having a mid life crisis (easy to spot when you've been through it). He's cunt struck - a common symptom. Dont try to tell me it wont affect his judgement, because that is plain bullshit.

Whatever he learned last season, has been emptied from his grey cells.