You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Serious question, how many do you think we'd have won without him?

Not really a fair question. The same could be asked about Souness, or Kenny, or even Sammy Lee and Ronnie Whelan. Teams win trophies, not individual players, even though to hear some people it was only Gerrard and Carragher on the pitch in Istanbul.

Whatever his relative importance to winning trophies has been since he entered the first team the sad fact is we simply haven't won that much with him, certainly precious little the last 8 or 9 years - something we could have achieved without him.

I'm not slagging him. He's been a great servant to the club, and got rich being one, unlike some other players I can name who won lots of silver but earned little money. I just think we need to cut out the sentimentality and remember that the players are here to help win trophies.

If he goes, he goes.  There won't be any dissing him - he's potentially the best player LFC has had on the books.  

At least he's up front about it and doesn't play the fans for mugs while engineering a way out.  It's those cunts I can't stand.  

Agree. Personally I'd rather see him go somewhere else than reduce the great memories we've already got.

It's kind of the same as with Andy Carroll (and please don't shoot me for that comparison), the player has a lot of qualities we can exploit but he simply doesn't fit in with the system our manager wants to play. It's not a criticism on Gerrard, it's just a blatant fact. And yes, I would love for him to flourish under the current manager and get a career revival in his final years as a player but sadly I just don't see it.

Amazing player and captain. He has been for many years the most complete midfielder in the world ever.

He is spot on in his interview about the mistake of selling our best players after a good season in 2002, 2009 and 2014.

I am in Love with him. I will support him in his decision at the end of this season.

• Upvote 1

There is no logical reason that Stevie Gerrard should not finish his playing career as the ultimate one club man.

I would imagine it is what the club and what he wants.

Money is irrelevant so no need for a payday whoring himself around the MLS, he wouldn't turn out for one of our rivals here after all this time and he can still do a job for us on the park beyond this season. It may be a reduced job or a different job, but he can and for me should do a job for us beyond this season.

I can tell where every one of youz from

Just from reading your posts

I can spot the woollyback heathens

Even today, when dressed as ghosts

Cos no true scouser would entertain

Stevie leaving The Redmen

And if they dared to whisper that round me

They'll all be fucking deadmen

If you cut Stevie in half he'd bleed red

He's a Scouser through and through

And he's from the proper half of town

He's a red and not a blue

Yet some of you from out of town

Would send him far away

You might not know about this club

But that's not the Liverpool Way

You lot would probably be happy

With a team with no scouse part

A team made up of foreigners

Without a Liverpool heart

So if you have no respect

for what he's done, what we have had

Then fuck off and support Chelsea

Go and be a rent boy lad

*sneers with disdain

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We'd never have won the CL without Gerrard or - obviously - the FA Cup, so saying we haven't won much with him doesn't really carry much weight when you consider we probably wouldn't have won anything.

Gerrard is like Suarez, he brings the side instant fear and respect from opponents, you can't put price on that. Professionals talk about football too and there will be nobody out there currently plying their trade in the professional game talking about him the way some of our fans do. In England that doesn't count for much, as all English players are arsed about are what other people's wages are, but the big European players value skill and ability and that reflects on the club itself. The Ronaldos, the Ancelottis, the Del Pieros of this world will all consider Gerrard among the very best in the world and that reflects on the club. I don't want a squad comprised soleley of disrespected laughing stocks, that would be bad for how the club is perceived among professionals globally.

• Upvote 1

Give him the contract and let's move on.

He's a massive name in world sport, can help bed in any new player into the culture of the club, oh, and is still doing as good a job as anyone else in the team out on the pitch.

Give him the contract and let's move on.

He's a massive name in world sport, can help bed in any new player into the culture of the club, oh, and is still doing as good a job as anyone else in the team out on the pitch.

If he was doing the latter, do you think he'd have to be pushing for a new deal via the papers?

His value to us is unfortunately bigger off the pitch (commercially) than on it at the moment.

Sick of the constant belittling of the club by commentators who tell us that Gerrard saves ius again in every match, and that his dead ball deliveries are unrivalled in world football.

We've got to let Rodgers and the club stand on their own two feet and give them a chance to build a future that looks beyond a 12 month period.

People knocked Chelsea for letting Lampard go, but they seem to have gotten over it alright with Favregas and Matic.

• Upvote 2

Sick of the constant belittling of the club by commentators who tell us that Gerrard saves ius again in every match, and that his dead ball deliveries are unrivalled in world football.

We've got to let Rodgers and the club stand on their own two feet and give them a chance to build a future that looks beyond a 12 month period.

People knocked Chelsea for letting Lampard go, but they seem to have gotten over it alright with Favregas and Matic.

I think I've spotted a problem.

• Upvote 3

If he was doing the latter, do you think he'd have to be pushing for a new deal via the papers?

His value to us is unfortunately bigger off the pitch (commercially) than on it at the moment.

I remember that happening the last time his contract was up, actually - it always happens.

I also remember everyone questioning Gerrard's contribution about 5 months ago when we were pushing for the league.

Remember that?  The daily clamouring for him to be dropped / too old / etc etc

No?

"A few months ago" certainly goes quickly in modern football, doesn't it.

I remember that happening the last time his contract was up, actually - it always happens.

I also remember everyone questioning Gerrard's contribution about 5 months ago when we were pushing for the league.

Remember that?  The daily clamouring for him to be dropped / too old / etc etc

No?

"A few months ago" certainly goes quickly in modern football, doesn't it.

Grinch and Russ may know but so too does Razor.