You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why are people so snobby about music tastes?

Robbo29

I've never really understood why people get so upset about other people listening to music they don't like.

I would be upset if someone turned up at my house & made me listen to Keane but if they listen to it in their own house, who gives a toss?

The cloth eared cunt.

I dont minf Keane, have the 1st album, I will even say i really like Coldplay. However, The Stone Roses, amount of people who say that the 1st album is the best ever, just dont get it for me, not saying its shit, but it does nothing for me, dont know why, like a lot of bands from that time but just cant get into them

• Downvote 2

I dont minf Keane, have the 1st album, I will even say i really like Coldplay. However, The Stone Roses, amount of people who say that the 1st album is the best ever, just dont get it for me, not saying its shit, but it does nothing for me, dont know why, like a lot of bands from that time but just cant get into them

True garage flower is shit on the whole, stone roses - stone roses is sublime however, and the second coming has some really good tracks and meld together well, bit heavy on the guitar overdubs due to squires alleged dabblings with the devils dandruff.

Musical taste is subjective as fuck, that's what most people like to prattle on about the stuff, poetry of the soul and all that shite.

One mans shit is another man's gold and long may it stay that way. Me auld fella and grandad used to say the techno and house I listened to in the nineties was garbage, I still love that shit 20 years later. As no doubt the tuneless deaf twats who buy into dub step, pop idol and all the other thoughtless superfluous shite that eats up terabytes of data will do in another 20 years. I'll still be right, they will still be musically sterile garbage listeners.

Can't beat a bit of Motown though, no matter who yer are.

• Upvote 2

I would rather pour sulphuric acid into my ears than listen to Keane.

I don't think it's so much a question of being snobby, it's more just actually having some taste.

Coldplay better than The Stone Roses???? Seriously?

The trouble is with diversity, you're opening yourself up to another world of music that is 95% shit and 5% meritorious.  I have fairly wide taste, and I hear a lot of new music, but for every gem you'll have to wade through a lot of derivative shite.  More diversity doesn't equate to better taste.  

Never said Coldplay were better, all i said was that i like them, and dont like the Stone Roses, as i said earlier i will listen to lots, have a fair bit of Brazilian music in my collection, samba, rumba and pop. All im saying is that i will not say a particular band or genre is shit beacause i dont like it.

A good tune is a good tune, no matter who it is playing it.

Guest Pistonbroke

One of the pleasures of parenthood is foisting your dodgy musical tastes on your offspring.  And you get an enormous amount of pleasure when one day you catch them listening to something that you introduced them too.

My daughter listens to loads of stuff what I introduced her too, she is very diverse and loves loads of the old 60's 70's and 80's stuff. 

One of the pleasures of parenthood is foisting your dodgy musical tastes on your offspring.  And you get an enormous amount of pleasure when one day you catch them listening to something that you introduced them too.

I grew up listening to Joy Division, PIL & Gang of Four, can't stand any of them now & love 70s prog rock.

No wonder my Dad & me don't get on.