Quantcast
Dejan Lovren - Page 134 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
WhiskeyJar

Dejan Lovren

Mo and Virg, in particular, love him.

I'm going to remember the good stuff  (basically, the Dortmund winner and the ability to smugly say that our 4th choice CB was a World Cup finalist) try to forget the brainfarts, wish him well and thank Zenit for the dough.

• Upvote 1

Loads dont like Degsy but they forget when he came, he was an improvement on what we had. His major fault was that some games he tried too hard  and like everyone else, that's when you make mistakes.

Bit disappointed we're only getting a reported 11m for him but if transfer fees are being deflated across the board, it all evens itself out.

Guess this means he'll probably play at Newcastle on Sunday? All the best fella.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Loads dont like Degsy but they forget when he came, he was an improvement on what we had. His major fault was that some games he tried too hard  and like everyone else, that's when you make mistakes.

Bit disappointed we're only getting a reported 11m for him but if transfer fees are being deflated across the board, it all evens itself out.

Guess this means he'll probably play at Newcastle on Sunday? All the best fella.

11m for a 31 year-old fourth choice CB is really not a bad selling price. 

• Upvote 3

I can't say I'll miss him but he has played his part in making us successful over the last few years whether we wish to admit it or not. 

Best of luck,  DL.

• Upvote 2

I don't doubt that he will be missed by the squad as he was somebody everyone got along well with. Mo and Ox in particular revel in taking the piss out of him. He might be a good guy with a slightly wacky world outlook, but footballing-wise the squad needs a player who is more reliable and more durable. He isn't suited to sides that play with a high defensive line.

Good luck to him. 

Has his ups and downs but not half as bad as some make out. Unless he's having one of his stinkers then he's fucking shite. 

Good deal for us and him. 

Big wages and a decent fee. 

A World Cup finalist, medals from his spells playing in three separate countries, European champion, and one of the best fourth-choice central defenders we’ve ever  had. I wish him all the best. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

If Adrian goes too and Gomez is kept away from right back cover (he's a superb centre back) then we may well have ridded ourselves completely of calamity.

Premier League, European Cup winning & World Cup finalist Dejan Lovren. Its a remarkable fate.

Gomez has made quite a number of mistakes over the last bunch of games that are as bad or worse than Lovren at his worst. 

I’m not saying he can’t be a top CB, but he’s not there yet 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Gomez has made quite a number of mistakes over the last bunch of games that are as bad or worse than Lovren at his worst. 

Yeah, he's 23 and can't live off the 'huge potential' label forever. Needs to cut out the regular mistakes. 

Joe Gomez has literally just turned 23. He missed half a season due to injury too.

Bizarre that people are comparing him to Lovren or suggesting he is living off potential.

He is a boss CB already, who has had moments of inconsistency, hopefully due to age, though i guess will see.

Lovren was responsible for some of the worst moments of defending i have ever seen. The half at Spurs will forever be etched in my mind. Always injured too and couldnt be relied upon to be back up. Not buying that he wasnt as bad as people make out. He was dreadful and has rightly gone. May have been a boss lad. No idea.

• Upvote 2

Some of the Gomez stuff I wouldn't classify as an error, Sterling penalty and the Pulisic goal as eamples. Those are top players and sometimes they get the better of you.

Running into the back of Van Dijk on that header was pure Lovren though - completely out of position and the wrong decision.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The games are meaningless -- they have been verging on friendlies since the title. From the 80s to now, there is a statistic to the effect that we have played 20 or so games after winning the title and won 5 of them. It is just typical of what happens when teams win titles ahead of the end.

When it counts, Gomez has performed at every single occasion in the middle against every calibre of opponent in Europe and domestically. Statistically with him in the defence besides Van Dijk we are utterly imperious. There is a reason the club are happy for Lovren to go. Frankly its a bit silly to say Gomez isn't a top centre back yet when you review our record in competitive games with him in the team. He is a poor right back however.

• Upvote 2

I could say that when Lovren stopped being a regular first 11 player, we started winning trophies. But credit to me, I won't say it. 

In truth, he was decent at times and terrible at times. I won't have a fond outlook of him but he was there for the success, so whatever. 

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

No coincidence that masks become compulsory and this news breaks. 

Aaaahahahaha. 

Like him a lot as a person, weird views aside.  I think if Klopp had got hold og him first instead of Rogers he might have been a better player for us. Not good enough anymore  play for a team at our level.  Good luck to him though.

29 minutes ago, John102 said:

Joe Gomez has literally just turned 23. He missed half a season due to injury too.

Bizarre that people are comparing him to Lovren or suggesting he is living off potential.

He is a boss CB already, who has had moments of inconsistency, hopefully due to age, though i guess will see.

Lovren was responsible for some of the worst moments of defending i have ever seen. The half at Spurs will forever be etched in my mind. Always injured too and couldnt be relied upon to be back up. Not buying that he wasnt as bad as people make out. He was dreadful and has rightly gone. May have been a boss lad. No idea.

Very similar make up to Skrtel. Probably the poorest two centre backs to have played quite so many games for the club. Going on 400 games between the pair. We've had worse, but not in terms of mainstays like them. There's a reason we were the worst defensive outfit of the half-decent sides in the country for going on a decade. That back 4 Klopp (and, to be fair, Rodgers to some degree although he only made it worse) inherited was absolutely diabolical from back to front.

58 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Gomez isn't a contagion though.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I could say that when Lovren stopped being a regular first 11 player, we started winning trophies. But credit to me, I won't say it. 

In truth, he was decent at times and terrible at times. I won't have a fond outlook of him but he was there for the success, so whatever. 

It's probably fair to point out that the times he looked truly terrifying were when he had Moreno to his left and Mignolet behind him.

*judder*