You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Champions League Draft - Voting Groups 3 & 4

Guest LFD

Which is the best team in each group?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best team in each group?

My team has the most goals in it...

Judging players at their prime.  So not over their whole career.

I have five huge goal threats in Shearer (who around Euro 96 was the best striker in the round, behind Ronaldo), John Barnes, Figo, Toure (got 19 league goals this season for Man City) and Gerrard.

Anyone have a player score a goal in the world cup final?

Ronaldo

Now I know you both have a world player of the year each in Romario and Figo, I have won in Cannavaro.

But do you have another?

Kaka maybe, but then one is ok but three time world player of the year is were its at

Ronaldo

Yeah but if Shearer, Barnes, Gerrard, Toure or Figo were Brazilian - even Bale they'd probably have got a World Cup,  Not their fault they were born in their countries.

Judging players at their prime. So not over their whole career.

I have five huge goal threats in Shearer (who around Euro 96 was the best striker in the round, behind Ronaldo), John Barnes, Figo, Toure (got 19 league goals this season for Man City) and Gerrard.

Romario over 500 league goals.

Crespo over 300 career goals including champions league finals etc. one of the deadliest strikers in his prime.

Suarez doesn't need explaining. Just a goal machine. And a genius.

Hagi over 300 goals from midfield.

Deco won the top assist title almost every year at Porto and Barca, best midfielder in the world at the time.

Backed up by an impenetrable defence. This team would tear any of yours to pieces.

If you're just going on prime then why not have Mark Viduka or julio baptista and say their prime lasted 90 minutes at Anfield

If you're just going on prime

The original rules said players were judged at their peak, not crappy league goals in minor leagues, which is silly.

Your problem isn;t the quality of your attack.  It is that you have no balance in your team and Makelele would be a lone man trying protect your defense as Hagi, Deco, Suarez and Romario aren;t going to be much help.  

The original rules said players were judged at their best, not crappy league goals in minor leagues.

So at his best Romario scored 55 in 70 for Brazil. Top scorer of the Dutch league every year he was there and top scorer of the Spanish league every year he was there. Glad we settled that. Romario was better than Shearer in every possible way.

Crespo scored 80 goals in the first four seasons of his career. Just an absolutely wonderful natural striker. The second best Argentina has produced behind batistuta. Shame his career was plagued by injuries.

The original rules said players were judged at their peak, not crappy league goals in minor leagues, which is silly.

Your problem isn;t the quality of your attack. It is that you have no balance in your team and Makelele would be a lone man trying protect your defense as Hagi, Deco, Suarez and Romario aren;t going to be much help.

Why would I need 11 men helping me to defend? Deco has an enormous work rate and played as part of a 3 man midfield at Barca as the middle 3rd. My balance is absolutely fine

So at his best Romario scored 55 in 70 for Brazil. Top scorer of the Dutch league every year he was there and top scorer of the Spanish league every year he was there. Glad we settled that. Romario was better than Shearer in every possible way.

Crespo scored 80 goals in the first four seasons of his career. Just an absolutely wonderful natural striker. The second best Argentina has produced behind batistuta. Shame his career was plagued by injuries.

Balance was your problem.

Romario and Shearer were both different, but equally brilliant strikers.

Crespo a notch below both.

and top scorer of the Spanish league every year he was there. .

You mean the two season at Barcelona when he was top scorer in the first and only played 13 in the second when Barcelona finished fourth and he wasnt anywhere near top scorer.

He also wasn't the top scorer in Holland in his last two years.

You mean the two season at Barcelona when he was top scorer in the first and only played 13 in the second when Barcelona finished fourth and he wasnt anywhere near top scorer.

He also wasn't the top scorer in Holland in his last two years.

Shhhhhhhh!!!

Shortly after the Olympics he moved to PSV Eindhoven, where he won the Dutch League in 1989, 1991 and 1992.[7] Renowned for his ability to operate in the confined space of the penalty box, Romário scored 165 goals in 167 games in five seasons at PSV Eindhoven.[8]

Driven by an unswerving belief in his abilities, Romário's laid back manner and overwhelming self-confidence would be displayed throughout his career, with Guus Hiddink, his coach at PSV, stating, “If he saw that I was a bit more nervous than usual ahead of a big game, he’d come to me and say: ‘Take it easy, coach, I’m going to score and we’re going to win'. What’s incredible is that eight out of the ten times he told me that, he really did score and we really did win.”[9]

And in fairness he did leave half way through his second season at Barca. Still scored fuck loads though

Hagi over 300 goals from midfield.

Deco won the top assist title almost every year at Porto and Barca, best midfielder in the world at the time.

Deco best midfielder in the world between 2004-2008 be sure to tell Zidane and Gerrard.

Hagi - 287 club goals. 47 in Italy or Spain the rest in Romania and Turkey

Deco best midfielder in the world between 2004-2008 be sure to tell Zidane and Gerrard.

Hagi - 287 club goals. 47 in Italy or Spain the rest in Romania and Turkey

He was the best before Gerrard became world class. Zidane I wouldn't class as a central midfielder.

And no, shearer was not as good as Romario. That is madness

Not really.  I said they were both class, but very different.  Which is true.

Shearer before he got his injury was the complete striker.  Romario was quicker and more skillful, but Shearer was better at holding up the ball and in the air.  Both were both clinical.

The crucial difference between Romario and shearer for me ( I think Romario is a much better player anyway ) is that Romario can make something from nothing and win a game single handedly. Shearer is much more reliant on other players to lay his goals on.

Your team going route one, LFD?

My team can mix it up.  Has everything.

The crucial difference between Romario and shearer for me ( I think Romario is a much better player anyway ) is that Romario can make something from nothing and win a game single handedly. Shearer is much more reliant on other players to lay his goals on.

I agree with that.  But he was very different to Shearer, he couldn't do some things Shearer could do.  Shearer is one of the best finishers I have ever seen.  

My team can mix it up. Has everything.

I agree with that. But he was very different to Shearer, he couldn't do some things Shearer could do. Shearer is one of the best finishers I have ever seen.

Shearer was a great player. I've got Batistuta in my team and he's more similar to Shearer than Romario and I wouldn't have him as better than Romario either for the same reason.