You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

Faustus is spot on there.  Some will moan anyway, you can't change bitch DNA, and you can never guarantee that signings will work out, expensive or not.  Robbie Keane for example.

Man City and Chelsea can afford to sign £25 million players who promptly disappear into their system because they have relative bottomless pits of money.  We don't have that luxury, as the last couple of years have proven.

That's the beauty of the sport, there will always be signings that look nailed on to succeed and then stink the place out, and those with less profile that slot in seamlessly and make the whole transfer business look easy.

If you get it right, you're a genius.  If you get it wrong you get forum loads of fans convinced they could run the club better.

At £25 million he’s expensive and I’m sure we could get something similar, and younger from elsewhere but the chances of him being a flop are pretty negligible. 

If, for instance, opposition defences have spent 70 minutes chasing Lallana around they aren’t going to relish trying to contain a fresh Philippe Coutinho coming off the bench for the last 20.

Faustus is spot on there.  Some will moan anyway, you can't change bitch DNA, and you can never guarantee that signings will work out, expensive or not.  Robbie Keane for example.

Man City and Chelsea can afford to sign £25 million players who promptly disappear into their system because they have relative bottomless pits of money.  We don't have that luxury, as the last couple of years have proven.

That's the beauty of the sport, there will always be signings that look nailed on to succeed and then stink the place out, and those with less profile that slot in seamlessly and make the whole transfer business look easy.

If you get it right, you're a genius.  If you get it wrong you get forum loads of fans convinced they could run the club better.

It was obvious Robbie Keane would not work out.  Like Carroll, Downing, Adam after him, all were average before we bought them.  Whilst I think we're paying over the odds for Lallana unlike the previously mentioned he's a good player and will fit in of that I have no doubt.

I'll be happy we've actually signed a first choice target for once. I've accepted we won't be signing a right back but I'd still love a really top quality forward on top of the others in the pipeline

That's how I feel. We can endlessly debate whether he will be worth the money but Brendan obviously rates him and he should be backed by the owners on his first choice target.

Stevie and the other lads must have bending Lallana's ear all week and there must have been some encouragement for the club to go in with a firm bid after the game yesterday.plus his mate Lambert has signed. 

If we're knocked back then we should move on quickly because I'm sure the player has enough influence in the matter to force the move if that's what he really wants.

Hopefully this will be decided quickly now

I think right now the manager's stock is particularly high. He obviously really wants Lallana, and no doubt has made that clear. What do the club do? Past experiences in the transfer market, particularly last summer, has not reflected well on the club. If he's the managers number 1 choice they have to push the boat out. What would happen if he didn't sign? How much would that alienate the manager? If he is the managers number 1 choice, then that's probably enough for me to really want the club to get him. Not getting the players in last summer cost us the title, I don't want any excuses in May.

£25m probably isn't our final offer. We're going to buy this player regardless of what it costs us in terms of the financials, and in terms of what it may make us do in other areas.

If we do then we are silly. The transfer fee has got to a stage where he needs to be close to a guaranteed success.

This is Torres and Suarez level transfer fee. A superstar not someone who has spent most of his career in the lower leagues.

If we do then we are silly. The transfer fee has got to a stage where he needs to be close to a guaranteed success.

This is Torres and Suarez level transfer fee. A superstar not someone who has spent most of his career in the lower leagues.

But it's also £10m less than Carroll.

It's not an exact science.

Based on what?

Based on my opinion, just like every other post in this thread is based on other peoples opinions. We've fucked around over so many players over the last few years, that we'll go all out to make sure this one gets done, because after the season we've just had, FSG will really have the light shone on them if they don't compete this window.

Brendan will get Lallana if he ends up costing £30m in my opinion. Southampton aren't going to sell him at that price with that clause in his contract. United more than likely have the money to pay it, so why should they rush to sell him to us. It all boils down to whether uniteds interest is solid and genuine. 

Lallana may prefer us, but he'd happily go to those cunts if they were his offer.

It is when you everyone knew he was nowhere near the quality we needed and could buy better.  He was never a 25 million player never mind a 35 million .

That "replacement for Torres, plus £15m" quote from JW still makes me cringe.

Based on my opinion, just like every other post in this thread is based on other peoples opinions. We've fucked around over so many players over the last few years, that we'll go all out to make sure this one gets done, because after the season we've just had, FSG will really have the light shined on them again, if they don't compete this window.

Brendan will get Lallana if he ends up costing £30m in my opinion. Southampton aren't going to sell him at that price with that clause in his contract. United more than likely have the money to pay it, so why should they rush to sell him to us. It all boils down to whether uniteds interest is solid and genuine. 

Lallana may prefer us, but he'd happily go to those cunts if they were his offer.

The question was clearly asking what your opinion was based on.

It is when you everyone knew he was nowhere near the quality we needed and could buy better.  He was never a 25 million player never mind a 35 million .

But, based on what? Was Sturridge a £12m player? Fellaini (sp?) a £27m player?

There is no exact science. Like everything economic, demand and supply plays are big part.

• Upvote 1

The question was clearly asking what your opinion was based on.

Based on the fact United are still at the table, based on the fact that FSG are under pressure to actually deliver a player that the manager wants, and based on the fact that Southampton have a clause in his contract to deal with. 

Based on the fact United are still at the table, based on the fact that FSG are under pressure to actually deliver a player that the manager wants, and based on the fact that Southampton have a clause in his contract to deal with.

Sorry, I never finished the post.

I agree in the main. I don't think we'll pay £30m, though.

But, based on what? Was Sturridge a £12m player? Fellaini (sp?) a £27m player?

There is no exact science. Like everything economic, demand and supply plays are big part.

Based on the top players in the world being sold for not much more at that time.

Supply and demand indeed. I suppose that didnt have a part on City signing Aguero for a similar sum

It was obvious Robbie Keane would not work out.  Like Carroll, Downing, Adam after him, all were average before we bought them.  Whilst I think we're paying over the odds for Lallana unlike the previously mentioned he's a good player and will fit in of that I have no doubt.

Which, despite all the teary eyed sanctimonious tedium to the contrary, is the only reservation people have mentioned.

No-one thinks he's shite, just that we could have bought a better footballer for £25m.

• Upvote 2