You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby League Thread.....

old skool tom

1 minute ago, littletedwest said:

I'm not a big rugby fan but from Leigh and they are fucked at minute so could be worse 

Erm.... Widnes ? They had a shocker of a season. Got a massive soft spot for the Vikings and sad to see them drop out. Hope they get back up next year. 

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is that what happened? Kinell. 

Rugby League's gone done the shitter thanks to Murdoch's money.  Loads of big bollock bastard Wool businessmen seduced into thinking they can make a quick buck and then fucking off when the teams don't get in Super (arf) League.

8 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Rugby League's gone done the shitter thanks to Murdoch's money.  Loads of big bollock bastard Wool businessmen seduced into thinking they can make a quick buck and then fucking off when the teams don't get in Super (arf) League.

Shame because it is an entertaining sport. Far better to watch than Union. Full of wools like agreed. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My knowledge of it goes as far as watching somebody like Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity in a mud bath,second half live on Grandstand while waiting for the videprinter to kick off before Final Score on a Saturday afternoon.

A schoolmate and his dad did take me once to watch Widnes but that was as far as it went.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

My knowledge of it goes as far as watching somebody like Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity in a mud bath,second half live on Grandstand while waiting for the videprinter to kick off before Final Score on a Saturday afternoon.

A schoolmate and his dad did take me once to watch Widnes but that was as far as it went.

Something your not telling us here....

• 3 months later...

Looks like Widnes Vikings are about to go kaput. 

Lived in Widnes for all my 20s and they're really proud of their rugby heritage but they never seemed to get a decent crowd. The fans will moan about mismanagement etc but at the end of the day, if you're not buying tickets that's the bread and butter down the spout. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Lived in Widnes for all my 20s and they're really proud of their rugby heritage but they never seemed to get a decent crowd. The fans will moan about mismanagement etc but at the end of the day, if you're not buying tickets that's the bread and butter down the spout. 

Shame.

Always been a good rugby town has Widnes. They can all start supporting Saints now to get the numbers up!

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's scandalous that the council wasted so much money building them a stadium that holds over 13,000.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

It's scandalous that the council wasted so much money building them a stadium that holds over 13,000.

I'm not a fan of the council but to be fair can understand why they plowed money into it, essentially it's the only thing that Widnes is famous for, much like Wigan (except for George Formby), if it hasn't got Rugby it's got little else.

I think the club's fortunes dipped just as the Premiership was taking off, so a generation of would-be Widnes rugby fans probably started watching the mancs instead.

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not a fan of the council but to be fair can understand why they plowed money into it, essentially it's the only thing that Widnes is famous for, much like Wigan (except for George Formby), if it hasn't got Rugby it's got little else.

I think the club's fortunes dipped just as the Premiership was taking off, so a generation of would-be Widnes rugby fans probably started watching the mancs instead.

Yeah, they've never been a mainstay in the SL. They could reform at some point, I think London have done that once or twice but it generally follows the same pattern.

Just been reading about it. Shite news. My ex is from Widnes and I lived with her right next to the stadium for 2 years. Got a massive soft spot for them. Nice little ground as well, Everton and Liverpool ladies train and play a lot of games there as well. Elton John fucking played there a few summers ago! I watched Space there earlier in the year too in the function suite bit and guess who was there? Our very own Liverpool Lad himself.

Surely someone or some entity will come in and save them. Rugby League will be worse off without them thats a fact. 

Widnes itself gets a bad reputation particularly amongst Scousers but having lived there, its not that bad at all. Some decent little boozers. Decent enough people by and large and its a pleasant place to live. Spike Island is one of my favourite places in the world. 

Runcorn however.... Runcorn can fuck off. 

• Downvote 1