You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

No glen is not a cunt, he has had a bad season but has had good ones before that for us where he was one of our best players.

He has always been loyal to lfc when big clubs were interested and we were doing shit and he has never said a bad word against us.

He has not played to his level for this season for whatever reasons and if we can improve on him like with every other player I would be happy for us to do so.

However the stick and abuse glen is getting is out or order as he has been a loyal servant for us in his time here.

What big clubs have ever shown an interest? Please tell. If that's your definition of being loyal, Joe Cole was too, never slagged us off whilst he was here, ignored interest from big clubs (I know, there wasn't any) but lets not let that get in the way. Took his inflated wages & took the piss with his performances in the process. Just like Glen.

He was happy to stay because no other club made a offer for him and nobody in there rigjt mind would pay him his ridiculous wages. He has been shite the majority of his time with us, injured for another quarter and good the rest.

Madrid and Juve were linked to him quite strongly when we were out of the champs league, I never heard a peep from Johnson about being unhappy or interested in a move.

He has been one of our best at times, I vividly remember thinking during the second leg of the carling cup against city when Kenny was here that glen was the only player we had at the time that would get near their first team.

We were light years away from them in terms of football style and were not able to keep possesion like them, glen was our main attacking threat and was trying all sorts of things in tight areas that were coming off.

His first season was also excellent and again he was probably our biggest attacking threat from rb, a great servant Imo and I would be happy for him to stay if strong competition for his place is brought in.

Madrid and Juve were linked to him quite strongly when we were out of the champs league, I never heard a peep from Johnson about being unhappy or interested in a move.

He has been one of our best at times, I vividly remember thinking during the second leg of the carling cup against city when Kenny was here that glen was the only player we had at the time that would get near their first team.

We were light years away from them in terms of football style and were not able to keep possesion like them, glen was our main attacking threat and was trying all sorts of things in tight areas that were coming off.

His first season was also excellent and again he was probably our highest attacking threat from rb, a great servant Imo and I would be happy for him to stay if strong competition for his place is brought in.

Madrid & Juve were 'linked'? I apologise then. He obviously could have moved to a big European side but decided to stay, despite the interest, sorry, links from big teams. Maybe, just maybe you never heard a peep from Glen about it because there was no serious interest there & it was just the usual newspaper transfer bollocks. If you believe all these links, were gonna have a squad of 70 players next season.

I think a lot of ex-players and people within the game think he's still got a lot to offer. Only if they'd actually seen him play all season would they realise how poor he's been. How the fuck is he going to the World Cup? Is it just a reflection on how poor the right backs are in this country? Has anyone from the England set-up paid any attention at all to his performance level this season? Fucking baffling.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of ex-players and people within the game think he's still got a lot to offer. Only if they'd actually seen him play all season would they realise how poor he's been. How the fuck is he going to the World Cup? Is it just a reflection on how poor the right backs are in this country? Has anyone from the England set-up paid any attention at all to his performance level this season? Fucking baffling.

Gary Gillespie who watches all the matches for lfc tv gave him his vote as best rb in the prem this season, he cant have been as bad as made out by some.

Gary Gillespie who watches all the matches for lfc tv gave him his vote as best rb in the prem this season, he cant have been as bad as made out by some.

That's what I mean. I know everyone sees things slightly differently, but I find that staggering.

Sometimes, an older player can justify a new contract because he's a consistent performer in the team, isn't injury prone, and is capable of maintaining a consistently high level for another 2-3 years, or is a key dressing room presence as somebody who is extremely well-liked and commands respect amongst his teammates for what he brings to the club overall. Somebody like Carragher basically.

The thing is, Johnson isn't getting any better, he seems to be injured quite often, is wildly inconsistent at times, and doesn't give the impression that he can the experienced older pro that the youngsters will look up to as they're developing. These factors mean that his current salary doesn't match what we can hope to get out of him, and it's unlikely he'll want to take a drastic pay cut and extend his contract.

For me, the shrewd move would be to sell Johnson in the summer and invest the time and resources on his replacement. Whether that replacement is already at the club is up to the manager. 

Two months on and my view remains the same. If we can replace Johnson with someone who is slightly less adept at going forward but more consistent overall, less injury prone and better defensively, we should do it as I think that might help the side more. A Zabaleta clone would be ideal.

Wasn't he playing through injury for a decent chunk of the season? Rodgers went out of his way to praise his contribution when he had his operation. 

There aren't many players who play injured and delay ops during a World Cup year. Think he deserves a bit of credit for that and not making a big deal of it. Wouldn't go as far as Gillespie, though. Thought Zabaleta was the best RB this season.

Wasn't he playing through injury for a decent chunk of the season? Rodgers went out of his way to praise his contribution when he had his operation.

There aren't many players who play injured and delay ops during a World Cup year. Think he deserves a bit of credit for that and not making a big deal of it. Wouldn't go as far as Gillespie, though. Thought Zabaleta was the best RB this season.

I think if his level of performance hadn't been consistently so bad, for so long, you could make an argument for the injuries having a bearing on things. I reckon (only my opinion) the manager is simply protecting him. The injury to Enrique, and lack of depth and options, has meant he's stayed in the side to the detriment of everyone.

I used to think Glen was immense for us and didnt agree with people who criticised his defensive play, I thought when he did get beat by a winger he more often than not got back and got a foot in, I thought his attacking play was up there with the rest rb in the world.

Now I'm the complete opposite, he let's crosses in everytime a wide man attempts one, he doesn't look like he's even trying to get back when he's beaten and he doesn't attack at all anymore, he still makes good runs but does nothing when he gets it and gives it away 8 times out of 10.

So for me, no he shouldn't get a new contract and we should be definately looking for an improvement, taking whatever fee anyone is stupid enough to pay.

Yeah I did find it strange, I certainly dont think he has been the best rb this season but he hasn't been as terrible as made out.

He's not a terrible player - he's just not consistent. And when he's off, forget about it. I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench and change a game with his runs, but he's not a reliable defender over 90 minutes and will want a wage that the "best RB in the country" would get.