You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Fell to pieces after Chelsea got their first goal - Lucky deflection, but there was zero reaction to the goal from our lads and Chelsea were able to get the momentum. In the end, there was only going to be one winner.

Really missed Bajcetic in the closing stages, and with hindsight, the decision to move Mabaya from the middle of the park to right-back when Jonas came off completely backfired and allowed Chelsea to gain the foothold in midfield that they'd not really had up until that point.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, John102 said:

I thought the subs were poor.

Again, it's easy to say in hindsight, but I don't understand making 4 changes to the formation for the sake of 1 sub.

With Jonas going off, instead of making a like for like change, we decide to bring on a central midfielder and then move Chambers, Davidson & Mabaya from the positions they'd been playing well in up to that point. Now you've got 4 players having to adjust at the same time when the opposition is just starting to pick up a head of steam after the deflected goal.

I get that the players that have been moved around have all previously played in the roles they were moved to and the staff trust them to play those roles, but I just don't get making such a big change to the roles at that moment in the game. I like James McConnell and think he's a talented player, but you can't be shifting that many players around for 1 sub. Poor game management from the staff, in my opinion.

Still, it's a learning curve for all of them at this level, so hopefully, this will give everyone a little perspective and they can use the last 15-20 minutes as an example to the lads of how games can turn on you if you switch off thinking the game is already won.