You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

Stupid rain delay ruined my plans to watch the Sox followed by the Mavs. Having to watch the replays today. Clean sweep of the Yanks anyway, control of the AL East and the 3rd best record in the league. Thanks New York.

and to think Boston started out the season 0-8.

and to think Boston started out the season 0-8.

I won't lie, I followed that noble Red Sox tradition and threw a noose around my neck after that. I was convinced that the pitching rotation wasn't strong enough to carry us back into contention. Who knew that Beckett would remember who he was, DiceK would need Tommy Johns and Wakefield would prove that no 44 year old paunch is too big. I was a little concerned about Crawford but always thought we had enough offense even when it looked like we were trying to set a new record for leaving men stranded on base. I'm sure they'll go and drop a game in Toronto tonight, a combination of a late night, travel and a decent Blue Jays (Joey Bats!) team. Don't want to get cocky and predict anything for the Sox but they look good, keep 'em healthy and the post season could be sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

never heard this story before...

The Big Trade

The legendary tale of two Yankees pitchers who swapped wives, and lives, is an irresistible soap opera. No wonder Red Sox fans Matt Damon and Ben Affleck want to make a movie about it.

The Big Trade

It is hard to keep up with the politicians, but the New York Sports Sex-*Scandal Hall of Fame has an impressive roster, back to when Babe Ruth reputedly missed half the 1925 season with the clap. Patrick Ewing, Mike Tyson, Lawrence Taylor, David Cone, Isiah Thomas, and Marv Albert are just a few of the city’s best-known sports figures to splat across the back page on accusations ranging from statutory rape to bull-pen masturbation and cross-dressing toupee loss.

However, even if no center-field monument will commemorate it, New York’s all-time oddest sports sex scandal came to light during spring training in 1973. That was when two Yankees pitchers, Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich, 40 percent of the team’s starting rotation, called a press conference to inform mind-boggled newsmen that they had traded families. This included wives, children, and pets.

“Don’t make anything sordid out of this,” said the 31-year-old Peterson, a twenty-game winner in 1970 who was then living with Kekich’s wife, Susanne, in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey. The 27-year-old Kekich agreed. “Don’t say this was wife-*swapping, because it wasn’t,” Kekich said. “We didn’t swap wives, we swapped lives.”

“It was hard to know whether to laugh or cry,” says Phil Pepe, Daily News Yankees beat writer at the time. “George Steinbrenner bought the team weeks before, but mostly he walked around pointing at guys whose hair he thought was too long. Ralph Houk, the manager, sat there smoking a cigar, trying to keep a straight face.”

(long) article continues....

yankees110627_560.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Need to add Jair Jurrjens to the list of Braves that should be heading to the All Star game.

He's just picked up his 11th win of the season, with a superb 1 hit, complete game against the Orioles. His ERA now stands at 1.89. Not bad for a starting pitcher!!

The top 2 sides in the National League are squaring off in a 3 game series before the All Star break.

The Phillies won game 1, 3-2 after 10 innings. Raul Ibanez hit a walk off shot to win the game.

Game 2 is just as tight so far. Currently 1-1 in the bottom of the 6th. Cliff Lee and Tommy Hanson are pitching gems tonight.

Lee helped his own cause early, and has scored the only run for Philly so far, with his first dinger of the year in the bottom of the third. Dan Uggla squared things up with his 15th home run in the top of the 5th.

Alex Gonzalez has just driven in Wilkin Ramirez to make it 2-1 Braves in the top of the 11th.

Hoping that B-Mac and Freddie can help pad the lead before Craig Kimbrel comes out of the pen to close this mother down.

EDIT: B-Mac with a 2 run shot to make it 4-1 Braves. Still just 1 out, top of the 11th.

Kimbrel sends the Phillies down, 1, 2 & 3, picking up his Major League leading 28th save of the season. This boy is a beast.

Series tied at 1-1. Derek Lowe takes on Cole Hamels in the rubber tomorrow evening.

Amazed that my Indians are still in this race.

Asdrubal Cabrera has been dynamite at short....if I could figure out how to embed videos I'd post a few plays....

take everything out up to the '=' sign and then everything at the end beginning with the '&'....then wrap it with the TUBE button

like this...

[YOUTUBE]lXsWK7hXNK8[/YOUTUBE]