You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That's enough of those.

Have any of you actually seen him play apart from the odd CL game against Chelsea or whatever?

I doubt many have seen too much of him. Aside from games against Chelsea, Juve, Hannover, I don't think I've ever seen a league match of his.

It's pretty hard to judge a player with so little to go on. On the downside, he doesn't seem to score many goals. On the upside, he's thought highly enough by Chelsea, Spurs, and City that they were after him, the latter having a £34m bid turned down. To me, from what I've seen, £30m seems a lot, but I guess only time will tell if he's good enough. Unfortunately, it'll probably be for a different team.

I just cannot see us spending £30m on a player again.

I'm sure the manager said as much a few months ago.

I look forward to being proved wrong tho

I tend to agree, but i just wonder if FSG might be wary of how they appear given we're currently operating at either a net profit or extremely minimal outlay.

I'm pretty sure they'd have preferred to keep the Torres money and spend when we had time in the summer, but when it seemed like we were going to end a window in profit they panicked and signed off on the Carroll fee.

You could say that episode taught them not to spend large amounts, or that it indicates they're willing to do so when the money's there, fans are starting to question them and options are limited.

I tend to agree' date=' but i just wonder if FSG might be wary of how they appear given we're currently operating at either a net profit or extremely minimal outlay.

I'm pretty sure they'd have preferred to keep the Torres money and spend when we had time in the summer, but when it seemed like we were going to end a window in profit they panicked and signed off on the Carroll fee.

You could say that episode taught them not to spend large amounts, or that it indicates they're willing to do so when the money's there, [b']fans are starting to question them [/b]and options are limited.

I really dont think thats something that scares them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I can see this thread ending in tears when he bins us off and signs for someone else. Just like the Mkhitaryan thread.

But, but, but he's 'desperate' to sign for us. IT'S ON.

I've been moaning this one in as well!

Almost everything stacks up in our favour' date=' so it seems obvious we will fuck it up.[/quote']

It's realism mate. When there's a clear trend developing then you can't say it's crying it in or anything like that.

It is what it is. We are also rans now so this type of thing will happen.

It's realism mate. When there's a clear trend developing then you can't say it's crying it in or anything like that.

It is what it is. We are also rans now so this type of thing will happen.

The trend is better clubs e.g. Dortmund - but in this case those clubs have done their shopping. Had Anzhi decided to sell two months ago, he would probably have joined City, or Chelsea but they have bought Jovetivic, Navas and the German lad.

There are not that many options for him. The big foreign clubs who can afford him don't need him, the rest can't.

We can, and United, who don't really need him! But if United concentrate upon Fabregas or Modric then we are really the only realistic option for him. As I say, more or less everything is in our favour. That isn't blind optimism that is a pretty realistic look.

The trend is better clubs e.g. Dortmund - but in this case those clubs have done their shopping. Had Anzhi decided to sell two months ago' date=' he would probably have joined City, or Chelsea but they have bought Jovetivic, Navas and the German lad.

There are not that many options for him. The big foreign clubs who can afford him don't need him, the rest can't.

We can, and United, who don't really need him! But if United concentrate upon Fabregas or Modric then we are really the only realistic option for him. As I say, more or less everything is in our favour. That isn't blind optimism that is a pretty realistic look.[/quote']

I wouldn't say it's realistic yet because we don't know who is in for him.

If the Mancs want him, for example, then we have absolutely no chance.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If he does go somewhere else then we need to start asking questions, i.e. we're need to go after realistic targets. Nothing wrong with ambition of course but there has to be something tangible at the end.

I think we need to just buy our way into attracting a player of quality. I'm feeling this might be the last chance saloon. If we don't get Willian, then what? If we're interested, and he's who we want now we've lost out on Mkhitaryan and Diego Costa, then let's fucking shift. We've sold Downing, meaning we have a positive net spend - we've earned money - and we've got rid of Reina, Carroll and Downing off the wage bill, so let's steam in and match what he's earning at Angie, pay Angie what they want, and bring him in. If it means paying a cunt agent too much money, well, fuck it.

We've been playing hard ball quite a bit lately. With Suarez, over other fees and wages, with Reina, fucking Downing off at the drop of a hat. Maybe we just need to give in on this one and sign somebody. Loos like we're not going to sign Papadopoulos, at least in this window, so get a wriggle on.

I think we'll get him, but I won't shed any tears if we don't. I just don't take this kind of thing seriously enough to be honest. I'm sure we'll sign someone before the window closes and I like the fact that we are being ambitious.