You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think the Barcelona issue has been put to bed. They'll sign either Ter Stergen or Courtois to replace Valdes, I think Reina might have been on the list at the start of the summer but has since slipped.

Besides which, the Barcelona management structure is about to change. There's nothing to say that the new coach will want Valdes or Reina.

Barrett told somebody on twitter earlier he's not holding out to move to Barca next year

Hmn, cheers. Strange deal this. I've only just seen that TB has said that they're looking to possibly make it permanent. I guess we need to wait and see what happens in the end.

If it's not due to Pepe not wanting a permanent deal, it goes from 'not ideal, but if he doesn't want to sign permanently then there's not much we can do' to 'well, that's just a bit daft'.

I'd sooner sell him than send him on loan even though I understand that we'd save a fortune on his wages.

Ultimately fuck Barcelona, I don't give a fuck what they want to do about their goalkeeper situation now or in 12 months. I only care that if Reina is going, and for me he has been since the second Mignolet was done, that we get the best price for us. I love Reina, and I respect him a lot and wish him the very best, but we can't arsehole around for him to get the move he wants.

If he thinks Barcelona might be in for him in 12 months, get Napoli to lash a Barca release clause in his contract. But that's their concern, not ours.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd sooner sell him than send him on loan even though I understand that we'd save a fortune on his wages.

Ultimately fuck Barcelona, I don't give a fuck what they want to do about their goalkeeper situation now or in 12 months. I only care that if Reina is going, and for me he has been since the second Mignolet was done, that we get the best price for us. I love Reina, and I respect him a lot and wish him the very best, but we can't arsehole around for him to get the move he wants.

If he thinks Barcelona might be in for him in 12 months, get Napoli to lash a Barca release clause in his contract. But that's their concern, not ours.

Got to agree with all of that. I'd sooner sell him and reinvest the money this summer. Fucking about with loans isn't ideal (again, unless it was a case that he was rejecting a permanent transfer) so I hope this comes off and he has a great career in Italy. Unlike quite a few players who leave us, I would like him to do well. He has been good for us and stayed with us a long time.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Reina has been off colour for a while now, but I wish him well, I really do. I'll always watch out for his progress.

Bottom line, for me, is that only the very richest clubs with CL income can afford to pay £110k per week for a reserve goalkeeper to sit on the bench. It's just not a smart use of finances.

Bottom line, for me, is that only the very richest clubs with CL income can afford to pay £110k per week for a reserve goalkeeper to sit on the bench. It's just not a smart use of finances.

Ok, I have been reading up on this and from post to post its very chaotic.

That is not the bottom line, the average fan does not care about the finances not matter how much sense it makes. You can be discussing about how we use our funds wisely, mention net spending up the wazoo and you still get a "Fuck you" in return.

Our fans love Reina, has been good for us and therefore its a disgrace how the club is handling it. Sentiment in these situations come into it, no matter how good, young or hungry the replacement is.

The ultimate bottom line is that our fans love Reina, is a great keeper that our fans tend to overlook the dip in form and the mistakes he makes in games, despite all the sense the finance makes.

What really gets on my tits in this thread is that there is no halfway point with you lot, why the fuck cant you see the argument from the other side of the table?

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 8m

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that his primary reason for allowing Pepe Reina to join Napoli on loan is financial

Napoli won't pay more than 3million euros max in wages and I doubt we would be stupid enough to pay 50k in wages. So the only thing that makes sense is Reina doesn't earn as much as people think.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That is not the bottom line

I said it was the bottom line for me. It still is. I like Reina, too. I just understand that there are factors other than sentimentality at play with those running the football club.

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that his primary reason for allowing Pepe Reina to join Napoli on loan is financial

Napoli won't pay more than 3million euros max in wages and I doubt we would be stupid enough to pay 50k in wages. So the only thing that makes sense is Reina doesn't earn as much as people think.

Shit just got serious in terms of FSGs reputation.

Guest San Don

I dont know what the tax regime in Italy is like. Here he pays 50% tax rate after personal allowance and lower tax bands. We might be 'topping up' his wages if the tax rate in Itally is higher, say 75%.

Just a suggestion.

Im also wary about tweets. The primary reason might be 'financial,' but what might be meant is the club cant afford to have a 100k a week player sat on the bench. Same thing happened to Carroll which was why he eventually signed for WHU.

Not really surprising. What kind of club - other than those owned by sheiks and oligarchs - can afford to pay their reserve 'keeper £80k a week?

Saying that, I'm not too sure Reina would have been happy on the bench, so I imagine the move is in his interests also.

80k was the wage he got when he signed his deal in 2010

80k seems about right but I keep seeing this 110k, so Napoli pay around 60k and we pay 20k seems what is happening. Maybe the 110k figure is including bonuses if we win the league etc and perform well in Europe.

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that his primary reason for allowing Pepe Reina to join Napoli on loan is financial.

No that can't be true. The owners are not looking to further reduce the wage bill when the TV rights income doubles this season, no way.

The real reason is because Reina is unsettled and he is a money grabbing whore, who is not loyal, doesn't love Liverpool, he is in Love with Rafa, bought nothing on Valentines for Brendan, he is ungrateful, he is also a mediocre goalkeeper who really isn't that good although he will be playing for a CL club and he really should have done better than sitting on the bench of the best National Team on planet earth etc...

In FSG we trust!

80k seems about right but I keep seeing this 110k, so Napoli pay around 60k and we pay 20k seems what is happening. Maybe the 110k figure is including bonuses if we win the league etc and perform well in Europe.

Napoli offered cesar around 50-55k a week, he wanted more.

So why have they now decided to offer more money for pepe, even though they have been trying for weeks to get cesar, who is their first choice?

Does this mean QPR have refused to pay any of cesars wage?

Does this mean QPR are in a better negotiating position than us?

Napoli have been working on the cesar deal for over 3weeks now, you would of thought QPR would want cesar off the wage bill ASAP and maybe would of helped with paying a % of his wage to get the deal done. Napoli made enquiry for pepe two days ago and we have jumped at the chance to get rid.

How can a championship team, who's wage bill is massive, are not doing everything they can to get cesar out, but we get rid of reina as soon as one team make enquiry?

Typical Rodgers, really. He's always letting his bizarre and rabid hatred of all things FSG get in the way of rational thought.

Guest San Don

So why have they now decided to offer more money for pepe, even though they have been trying for weeks to get cesar, who is their first choice?

Napoli have been working on the cesar deal for over 3weeks now, you would of thought QPR would want cesar off the wage bill ASAP and maybe would of helped with paying a % of his wage to get the deal done. Napoli made enquiry for pepe two days ago and we have jumped at the chance to get rid.

How can a championship team, who's wage bill is massive, are not doing everything they can to get cesar out, but we get rid of reina as soon as one team make enquiry?

Fuck knows. I know its pretty left field but maybe benitez rates reina higher than cesar?

Are people slow or something, how does Barrett saying the decision to sell is based on financial details mean the owners are fucking up?

Rodgers has a wage budget, he obviously can't afford to have a 100k a week keeper on the bench when he has to bring in other players.

This is nothing to do with owners, if anyone seriously thinks Rodgers brought mignolet in hoping to keep Reina as competition for him they are deluded.

Fuck knows. I know its pretty left field but maybe benitez rates reina higher than cesar?

I think reina is better than cesar, but Napoli have tried so hard to get the cesar deal done. I would of thought QPR would of helped Napoli (reduced loan fee, increase their % of wage being paid) to get cesar away from loftus road.

For me, we look more eager to get rid of pepe than a championship team is to get rid of their 70/75k a week keeper.

All a load of shit. All smacks of people within our management who haven't got a clue what they're doing.

oh, they know what they're doing

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that his primary reason for allowing Pepe Reina to join Napoli on loan is financial.

Rodgers: “Financially it is something we needed to look at,” he said. “Because obviously otherwise you wouldn’t move on a top goalkeeper."

How can a championship team, who's wage bill is massive, are not doing everything they can to get cesar out, but we get rid of reina as soon as one team make enquiry?[/quote

Either the numbers for Reinas contract have been exaggerated or maybe he has taken a paycut to go on loan if he is desperate to play football. It's pretty clear that Napoli who have a wage bill around the size of Everton won't be covering his wages and their firm stance with Cesar showed that.

Guest San Don
I think reina is better than cesar, but Napoli have tried so hard to get the cesar deal done. I would of thought QPR would of helped Napoli (reduced loan fee, increase their % of wage being paid) to get cesar away from loftus road.

For me, we look more eager to get rid of pepe than a championship team is to get rid of their 70/75k a week keeper.

According to some reports, reina demanded a move when rodgers told him he would be starting the season as first choice. If that is correct, it looks like reina forced the issue rather than the club.

Rodgers: “Financially it is something we needed to look at,” he said. “Because obviously otherwise you wouldn’t move on a top goalkeeper."

No no I still don't believe it, they are not trying to reduce further the wage bill, it can't be true. FSG wouldn't do that.