You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

What a pleasant surprise from Henry! Never imagined this detached, blood- sucking tycoon would listen to the heartbeat of the millions of Liverpool fans and come out and tell the Arse off to put them in their right place.

That was more than a footballing decision; for me as a fan it's about protecting this great club's great name and honour.

It's also sending a clear message (unequivocal as he pust it) to others who are hovering to pick on our best players.

Fantastic by Henry.

2. Perhaps he took advice that letting Torres leave would be in the best interests of the club. That didn't work out too well' date=' hence the change of tact this time.[/quote']

It worked Spectacularly. Torres flopped and Suarez bought with the money was a hit. Unfortunately Carroll flopped but you can't say the Torres sale wasn't a success.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It worked Spectacularly. Torres flopped and Suarez bought with the money was a hit. Unfortunately Carroll flopped but you can't say the Torres sale wasn't a success.

Yeah, I agree with that mate. Imagine if we'd got somebody like Soldado or Negrado or any one of the many good strikers around at the time. If both had taken off rather than just one, it'd have been the sale of the century. Selling your best players at a certain point isn't just a good idea financially, if you get the buying right it can be a good idea from a footballing perspective too.

I think we're in a slightly different position now, and we're finding it much harder to attract top players to the club at the moment. If we keep Suarez until January, are sitting in the top four or close to it, then look to do a deal as he won't be ineligible for Europe. There won't be many top strikers who can say that.

Yeah, I agree with that mate. Imagine if we'd got somebody like Soldado or Negrado or any one of the many good strikers around at the time. If both had taken off rather than just one, it'd have been the sale of the century. Selling your best players at a certain point isn't just a good idea financially, if you get the buying right it can be a good idea from a footballing perspective too.

I think we're in a slightly different position now, and we're finding it much harder to attract top players to the club at the moment. If we keep Suarez until January, are sitting in the top four or close to it, then look to do a deal as he won't be ineligible for Europe. There won't be many top strikers who can say that.

The real shame about the Carroll purchase is we compounded the problem by changing our playing style and buying players to play to Carroll's strengths. The whole Carroll debacle was a waste of time and money.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The real shame about the Carroll purchase is we compounded the problem by changing our playing style and buying players to play to Carroll's strengths.

Don't let Neil see that! Nah, you're right. I actually think we'd probably have been better off not signings anybody other than Suarez as Torres' replacement. Both in January and in the Summer. Had we gone into the season (Kenny's first full season back) with the side he finished the previous season with, we'd have been much better. Better for not spending £100m odd. We've really put ourselves into this position. Other clubs must have been looking at the money we were spending and thinking 'what the fuck?'. Most clubs wish they had a fraction of that to spend.

Still, I feel like we're finally starting to recover from the tough times over the last 5-ish years. We've got some stability, and once this Suarez thing is sorted and we've managed to add a few more quality additions, we'll be well set to keep pushing on. I hope.

This sounds like we said he could leave but struggled to get a worthy replacement according to John full of soundbites Henry.

Liverpool informed Suárez and Guardiola that any transfer would have to be agreed early in this transfer window to allow Rodgers time to spend the fee. "We made that clear early-on," confirmed Henry, who believes Suárez is misguided in his reasons for wishing to join Arsenal. He said: "Players usually want to win. They want to go, generally in any sport, where they can win. That's why I think this particular episode is misguided. We've won more trophies than Arsenal, but I really don't want to get into that."

Honestly' date=' i doubt anyone knows what he'll do, even himself. He's not all there, he could be on the first plane to Uruguay tomorrow or claiming he never asked to leave.[/quote']

I agree.

Lets us also not forget that if FSG injected some net cash on the field to improve our squad, and resolved the stadium issue to improve revenue off it, our CL challenge would be such that the likes of Siarez would not need to think of leaving in the first place.

This sounds like we said he could leave but struggled to get a worthy replacement according to John full of soundbites Henry.

I dare-say whatever he said, you would have moaned, TH.

But, the fact seems to be, we are not selling him at an price to any club. While Paul McC will obviously be chuffed, the victory will be a pyrrhic one. I am not sure I can see Suarez just accepting this and carrying on as normal. Hopefully he does, though. That would be best case scenario and would mean Rodgers and the club and played their hands superbly.

I think if we manage to get another forward in then we'll sell, it allows us to say that we could afford to let him leave now as we managed to get a replacement. I think he'll go late in the window probably to Madrid for an undisclosed fee plus a player.

I dare-say whatever he said, you would have moaned, TH.

But, the fact seems to be, we are not selling him at an price to any club. While Paul McC will obviously be chuffed, the victory will be a pyrrhic one. I am not sure I can see Suarez just accepting this and carrying on as normal. Hopefully he does, though. That would be best case scenario and would mean Rodgers and the club and played their hands superbly.

I agree with them telling Arsenal to piss off doesn't make any sense to me even at 50 or 60 millions but I do think he had been told he could leave. I agree with you for once it's no victory having your best player and manager acuse each other of lying via the media.

Anyway where are those 2 or 3 top quality signings BR was talking about that would come for the first 11.

Edited by TheHitman

I agree with them telling Arsenal to piss off doesn't make any sense to me at 50 or 60 millions but I do think he had been told he could leave. I agree with you for once it's no victory having your best player and manager acuse each other of lying via the media.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you regarding Henry. He is a bit of a soundbite merchant and I would rather he didn't make rods for his own back by making such bold statements like this one. But if he can back them up with actions, then I have less of a problem.

Torres being a flop is open to interpretation-he left to win major trophies and has won them since he went there.I am sure he doesn't see it as flopping.

Torres being a flop is open to interpretation-he left to win major trophies and has won them since he went there.I am sure he doesn't see it as flopping.

Well it was definitely a success for us; he wasn't trying and we got a record fee for him. What Torres went on to do or not isn't part of our equation.

edit: I just read the post you were responding to!

Honestly' date=' i doubt anyone knows what he'll do, even himself. He's not all there, he could be on the first plane to Uruguay tomorrow or claiming he never asked to leave.[/quote']

Suarez to fire his ignorant, greedy agent Pere Guardiola as well as his legal counsel for bad advice, who may indeed deserve some of the blame for this quandry.

Well it was definitely a success for us; he wasn't trying and we got a record fee for him. What Torres went on to do or not isn't part of our equation.

edit: I just read the post you were responding to!

Easily done!

It's all swings and roundabouts anyway-we gained financially on him, he gained professionally and financially on the deal, Carrol was a flop either way.

I think if we manage to get another forward in then we'll sell, it allows us to say that we could afford to let him leave now as we managed to get a replacement. I think he'll go late in the window probably to Madrid for an undisclosed fee plus a player.

"Another forward" wouldn't be good enough. It would have to be someone who is as good as Suarez. And is available at a price and wages we can afford. And is prepared to join a team that finished 7th then sold its best player.

Not really going to happen, is it.

I really hope it's true that John Henry intends to simply not sell him this summer.

When it comes to sticking the boot in on players, sure. Leak wages. Check. Training performance dip. Check. Last minute transfer request. Check.

When it gets a bit more complicated though, like with the FA etc etc. Not so much.

They were given a hard lesson. I'm optimistic that they learned something from that.

that means that in my opinion we won't be signing anybody else, unless we sell Agger or someone else and there is not a shadow of a doubt that Suarez will be sold in January or next summer.

Your opinion, as has been proven so many times, cuts no ice here. My opinion is that we will buy before the end of August. And of course Suarez will be sold in January or the summer you idiot. Why the hell would we allow the knobhead's contract to run down? He'll be sold when the club want him to be sold. And I'll be over the moon when the little fuck has left.