You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

ooh crikey, it's been in about 9 months now, so I've forgotten.  I can dig it out but not immediately.  Being able to control the temperature room by room has been the biggest saving - in the winter the kids set their room timers to come on 10 minutes before they get up, and off 10 minutes before they leave.  It literally takes 5 minutes to warm up a room.

Isn't that quite costly to run though? I'm currently thinking I'll use overlay underfloor heating, which you don't need to have on 24/7 (unlike the 'wet' version). Takes about 20 mins to heat up according to my research.

They are my options, to have under wood floor electric heating or get two huge rads with a large BTU on each to heat the m3

Isn't that quite costly to run though? I'm currently thinking I'll use overlay underfloor heating, which you don't need to have on 24/7 (unlike the 'wet' version). Takes about 20 mins to heat up according to my research.

It's not costly to run, as normally it's on for a very short time in the morning in only a few rooms. My kids rooms are not huge, and they heat up in 5 mins.

Ah right. I've got it in the bathroom but don't think I'll bother for the bedrooms. My hope is to put it throughout the downstairs and I think the overlay system is the most cost effective as it's quite a big area.

This may sound stupid but make sure you get an off switch/timer. I've got a colleague who couldn't understand why his bills were so high until he realised the previous owner had fitted a system that was permanently on low.

One assumes you've got planning permission for it this time round?

You don't need it if your only coming out 3m from your house, 4m if it's detached (that's may have been extended further with the changes to planning I think). The only thing you need is Building regs to be applied to it/inspected

I would view this as a supplementary form of heating rather than your sole heat source. We put it into our extension along with a radiator. We use the radiator as the go to form of heating and then the underfloor as a bit extra when its really cold. I have to say that the feeling of the heat coming through the floor is a bit like heated car seats...I'm just not quite sure if I like it

Just getting the garden going now after pretty much boxing off the house. I'd say that people who went "It'll cost more than you think" were probably quite clued up. Got to have gone through close to £20k on doing it up but have pretty much rebuilt the whole fucking thing from scratch.

Every surface got done:

Ceilings

Re-wire

Plastered

Decorate

Carpets

Tiling

Wooden floors

New windows / patios

New bathroom

Bathroom gone

Walls down

New kitchen

Appliances

Bedroom furniture

Attic boarded, insulated, access put in

And loads of other little bits. 

I'm never moving again. Ever.

Just getting the garden going now after pretty much boxing off the house. I'd say that people who went "It'll cost more than you think" were probably quite clued up. Got to have gone through close to £20k on doing it up but have pretty much rebuilt the whole fucking thing from scratch.

Every surface got done:

Ceilings

Re-wire

Plastered

Decorate

Carpets

Tiling

Wooden floors

New windows / patios

New bathroom

Bathroom gone

Walls down

New kitchen

Appliances

Bedroom furniture

Attic boarded, insulated, access put in

And loads of other little bits. 

I'm never moving again. Ever.

That's a shitload of work and stuff for 20K.  Well in. 

You don't need it if your only coming out 3m from your house, 4m if it's detached (that's may have been extended further with the changes to planning I think). The only thing you need is Building regs to be applied to it/inspected

That's on the right lines, but there's a lot more to it than that. He's best checking with the local council anyway.

We applied for planning for a small extension and it was during that application that issues with the other one came up. So the money is being diverted to this rebuild, which is within the allowances. 4m out, width of existing and 3m high. I think we're getting 8 visits from building control in total. Foundations were signed off on Friday and filled with concrete on Monday.

I would view this as a supplementary form of heating rather than your sole heat source. We put it into our extension along with a radiator. We use the radiator as the go to form of heating and then the underfloor as a bit extra when its really cold. I have to say that the feeling of the heat coming through the floor is a bit like heated car seats...I'm just not quite sure if I like it

I know what you mean. I love it though. Been to lots of houses with nothing else, including the in-laws, and there's definitely no need for rads.

What's hotpoint like as a brand nowadays?

I need a washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher and can get 30% off all hotpoint and indesit stuff.

This one? *imagines the abuse I'd get for a similar post*

What's hotpoint like as a brand nowadays?

I need a washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher and can get 30% off all hotpoint and indesit stuff.

This one? *imagines the abuse I'd get for a similar post*

*smoothes feathers* 

Ok, I dont know the answer to be honest. We had Hotpoint washers I liked the washing programmes (simple, with half load, short wash options), they looked decent, dont cost a lot but they didnt seem to last that long. When the last one went the repair man recommended Bosch. We have a Bosch dishwasher, never been a bit of bother, so we went for one of those even though it was quite a bit dearer. Only, I dont think it washes as well, or, I should say, rinses and the programmes arent as user friendly and there's a glitch in the spin programme. I bet the bugger's going to last forever now.

We have a Hotpoint dryer. It works well and wasnt dear. I'd recommend it.

Make of that what you will

Guest Pistonbroke

Buy German, like cars they tend to be the best - Miele or Bosch

Although our washing machine is a 1980's communist-built top-loader and is easily the best washing machine I've ever used

Have to agree with this. We have a Bosch washing machine and it's ace. Miele are better, but they cost on average about 30% more for more or less the same washing machine.